Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

7 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

I feel dumb. When I estimated, I went long hand. And when I went for the circumference I did a 4” radius. Doh
Found a sweet calculator that does displacement of liquid in a horizontal cylinder based on depth. https://www.mathopenref.com/cylindervolpartial.html 

Twenty feet of 6” Filled 4” deep is only 21 gallons. That should be easy peezy. How big is your fish tank? 

The correct answer on size of the tank is I don't know.  20, 40, 60?  I can figure it out, lol...but it is buried by plants right now.

20 gal + enough to cover the pump in the bottom (1/6 of the tank) is a lot.  I need to research NFT vs flood/drain effectiveness.  Probably not super relevant as I am only growing herbs and lettuce pretty much.

Awesome coop.  How much work are they?  ie, how often do you have to do stuff.  I know you grab eggs every other day, but the water, feed, clean?

If I stay with a flood system, I thought about using square fence posts.  Advantage being that you don't have to guess as much for the overall height and flood relief.  Being this is in a living space that is my other concern.  Of course I can add a moisture sensor and shut off but that is added complexity that my dumb ass will spend time making sure works.  I like the only pump water a few times a day better than continuous, but again I shouldn't look for the nth degree here as this is not to make me money but food.

My kratke pots are doing super well atm also.  Surprised how effective they are.  Obviously all are lacking oxygen and I know that will be a boost, but if anyone wants to try on the cheap do that first!

I also think if I were to do this over I would do some modfied aeroponic version of this.  Just linking in case anyone wants a cheap way for home:

Mine is in a living space so the tote is a no go.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Awesome coop.  How much work are they?  ie, how often do you have to do stuff.  I know you grab eggs every other day, but the water, feed, clean?

Pretty low maintenance. I clean the coop twice a year. Change the hay in the egg boxes a little more often. One bail of hay has lasted four years.

Feed and water them about every 2 to 3 weeks. I feed them mealworms in the winter, and let them scour for bugs in the summer. They eat a little more food in the winter. 
you’ll know when they need either as is about the only time they will follow you around instead of running away.

I know I sent you pictures when I built it four years ago. Don’t know if you remember, the main structure is built it out of an old playhouse. The type that can usually be hard for free, if one is willing to go pick them up. Easily a gheester of cedar and Coated 4x posts.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

The correct answer on size of the tank is I don't know.  20, 40, 60?  I can figure it out, lol...but it is buried by plants right now.

20 gal + enough to cover the pump in the bottom (1/6 of the tank) is a lot.  I need to research NFT vs flood/drain effectiveness.  Probably not super relevant as I am only growing herbs and lettuce pretty much.

I haven’t asked if you plan on doing any overhead drip system? Assuming you’re not and just rely on the wicking. 
The flood and drain will require a reservoir large enough to fill and then some as we discussed. The NFT constant flow on the other hand does not. The reservoir could be substantially smaller as the pump can only circulate so much water at once.

as far as the plants are concerned they will not know the difference. i’m not familiar with each particular crop. But some do not care for wet feet. That would be the only reason to stay away from the constant flow. which I doubt is a concern with any you are growing.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

If I stay with a flood system, I thought about using square fence posts.  Advantage being that you don't have to guess as much for the overall height and flood relief.  Being this is in a living space that is my other concern.  Of course I can add a moisture sensor and shut off but that is added complexity that my dumb ass will spend time making sure works.  I like the only pump water a few times a day better than continuous, but again I shouldn't look for the nth degree here as this is not to make me money but food.

Why would you need a moisture sensor? What would you use it to control? 

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I also think if I were to do this over I would do some modfied aeroponic version of this.  Just linking in case anyone wants a cheap way for home:

Mine is in a living space so the tote is a no go.

Is the exact system I would build if I did an Aeroponic. Ironically have enough parts laying around to probably build about six different systems. Just no space. Lol

19 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I feel like I need some context

For new employee orientation. It was 5 days long before, and a lot of fluff from what I've seen. COVID-19 forced a change to a 1 day virtual event. People are consistently hitting on going back to the in person 5 day event as soon as possible. I am against it as I believe it is more cost efficient and logistically easier to stay virtual. I am in favor of extending it to 2 or 3 days if kept virtual.

The discussion about this is a touch aggravating at times.

J

15 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Here's pics as promised. 

Image may contain: sky, bridge and outdoor

Can see a bin I stared for my for my compost pile with scrap plywood. Also can see chickens fuck up a lawn. But they are great mulchers.Image may contain: plant, tree, bridge and outdoor

Damn solid design. Wonder if they could produce CBD eggs somehow.
J

8 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Pretty low maintenance. I clean the coop twice a year. Change the hay in the egg boxes a little more often. One bail of hay has lasted four years.

Feed and water them about every 2 to 3 weeks. I feed them mealworms in the winter, and let them scour for bugs in the summer. They eat a little more food in the winter. 
you’ll know when they need either as is about the only time they will follow you around instead of running away.

Ok, holy shit.  My BIL feeds his everyday.  I assumed that was necessary, lol.  Of course he has 60 or something like that.

I know I sent you pictures when I built it four years ago. Don’t know if you remember, the main structure is built it out of an old playhouse. The type that can usually be hard for free, if one is willing to go pick them up. Easily a gheester of cedar and Coated 4x posts.

I do, but didn't want one then so I didn't remember it being as bad ass.

Why would you need a moisture sensor? What would you use it to control? 

Shut it off if it spills.  

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

For new employee orientation. It was 5 days long before, and a lot of fluff from what I've seen. COVID-19 forced a change to a 1 day virtual event. People are consistently hitting on going back to the in person 5 day event as soon as possible. I am against it as I believe it is more cost efficient and logistically easier to stay virtual. I am in favor of extending it to 2 or 3 days if kept virtual.

The discussion about this is a touch aggravating at times.

J

Change is hard for people who have been doing anything for a long time

6 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Damn solid design. Wonder if they could produce CBD eggs somehow.
J

I’ve been composting the wet leaves and stems so we will see LOL

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Ok, holy shit.  My BIL feeds his everyday.  I assumed that was necessary, lol.  Of course he has 60 or something like that.

he is probably trying to regulate how much food they intake with that many. 

Otherwise all depends on the size of the feeder and the amount chickens. I have five currently. The chicken feeder holds about a half a 40 pound bag. Could easily build it bigger feeder and waterer if needed. I also have a large amount of wild birds that come feed as well. Probably all the ones that were used to my bird loving neighbors feeding them every day. 

About the only thing I left off that list is will need a water heater in the winter. With five chickens I get about nine eggs every two days. Can’t eat them quick enough.

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Shut it off if it spills.  

I think you lost me. Like a moisture sensor on the floor?

how are you controlling the water level in the field if it is flood and drain. As in what shuts the pump off when it is full? Are you using an automated drain to put the water back into the reservoir when the watering cycle is over? 

I would think that should be about the only electronics other than a couple timers and a pump. As far as the water side goes.

I could probably get into the 6” pvc idea. I’d shoot for a kinda industrial steampunk look with an Art Deco flare. As long as it has a directioin I think it will be aesthetically pleasing and a great conversation piece.

I think you lost me. Like a moisture sensor on the floor?

how are you controlling the water level in the field if it is flood and drain. As in what shuts the pump off when it is full? Are you using an automated drain to put the water back into the reservoir when the watering cycle is over? 

I would think that should be about the only electronics other than a couple timers and a pump. As far as the water side goes.

Ha.  If I use the 4" pvc the roots will fill it up pretty well.  If that flow restriction occurs it is possible that the water will just come out of the net cup holes.  When that happens it will flood the floor as my tank is covered so overflow would hit the floor and not the tank.  My contemplation to resolve this was a moisture sensor connected to my home security system that would then have my automation software shut off the power to the pump.  I didn't explain that very clearly, but it sort of shows the ridiculous overboard nature I cannot escape from myself.

7 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

I could probably get into the 6” pvc idea. I’d shoot for a kinda industrial steampunk look with an Art Deco flare. As long as it has a directioin I think it will be aesthetically pleasing and a great conversation piece.

Here is what I built initially...before realizing my error.

Bhz9KYs.jpg

And used to teach a 9yr old how to bond pvc

idORCeF.jpg

It is probably fine actually for herbs / lettuce which was my pre-covid need.  Things I realized now:

-I severely underestimated my plant density.  ie, one basil plant isn't enough.

-Root structure will make a problem for anything larger

-Pink lights are brutal on the eyes and my neighbors all think, hmmm.

The top cover was meant to keep all light away from the tank.  Some modification of my overall design is obviously needed.  I'd prefer to use much of the structure, but it is easy enough to change.

You are doing something right if the roots are blowing up like that!
are you starting the seeds in rock wool? What do you think the ideal neti pot size Is now that you have worked with them?

Just ordered all brand new lights for the front of the Mustang off Ebay for $100.  Hard to beat that.