Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Still torn on NFT vs Ebb/flow.  I think I want to do round tubes as it is easy to add removable ends to clean if I ever want to.  Perhaps again Sean overkill though.  Damnit I just want some food!!

Damn output board on my cutter lost connection last night in the middle of an order. Contacted the original retailer today, and they sell replacement boards. 50 bucks plus shipping beats 450 for a new cutter of the same line, or 750 for an upgrade.

J

On 5/7/2020 at 6:56 AM, ///M5 said:

That sucks.  And my dumb ass recommended you fix it vs replace.  Aargh

It worked for a few weeks and it will be a good backup. 

I cannot replace the broiler(I dont think that would help the able function based on what I am reading) without for sure destroying the bolted down connection. 

On 5/7/2020 at 10:36 AM, j-roadtatts said:

Temperature sensor possibly touching the wall? Is there a calibration dial somewhere?

All the relevant parts were just replaced. I cleaned it all and checked the repair guys for a second opinion. 

They Dont know what to say but sometimes even if you replace every board with the exact right board the ship still leaks. It is almost 20 years old. 

On 5/7/2020 at 12:48 PM, ///M5 said:

RO is in the basement piped to multiple locations.  Will also power my ice maker and seltzer water dispenser.

I have an air pump, didn't know about the bacteria.  My lights are ridiculously loud so I might change everything up at some point. 

Typically I think you’re supposed to sterilize the air stones once a month. By soaking them in H2O2. Which is also what you can use to sterilize and reuse the pellets. These are 29 and 34%. https://4hydroponics.com/nutrilife-h2o2-garden-strength-1-gallon.htmlhttps://www.hawthornegc.com/shop/product/liquid-oxygen-h2o2-2
I also add that to the reservoir from time to time. If there is any sign of root infection or fungal gnats breeding. Also just turns into oxygen in the water once it has reacted.

The absolutely VERY first thing I add every single time I change the water is Drip Clean. https://www.amazon.com/House-Garden-HGDPC01L-Clean-Fertilizer/dp/B00V50IC9U  Stabilizes the water and acts like a magnet to keep the system clean. It doesn’t take much so a bottle lasts awhile

The other possible pertinent thing if doing the ebb is Clearex. Is a leaching agent used to flush the grow medium. Typically used to clean out salt build up. https://www.amazon.com/Botanicare-CLEAREX-Rinsing-Solution-1-Quart/dp/B0001XGPCS You may only need it if you are growing plants that stay in there for long periods. Or if you are cycling and frequently adding new plants with already established plants. i.e For me a grow takes four months from start to finish. The first two months is the veg stage and I typically don’t do any flush. As soon as I put them in flower I will drain the system and run just water and Clearex for one hour every two weeks. Can also add H2O at this time to really break things up if needed. Or for the reasons stated above. 

As far as the light I would suggest a 4 foot eight bulb t-5 fixture. At least a 4 bulb. More light, more food! Let me know if you need opinions on different ones.

On 5/7/2020 at 12:50 PM, ///M5 said:

Still torn on NFT vs Ebb/flow.  I think I want to do round tubes as it is easy to add removable ends to clean if I ever want to.  Perhaps again Sean overkill though.  Damnit I just want some food!!

I personally like to build things to be versatile and easy to change up. Is why I gave you the design suggestion I did. Which was intended to put inside what you already have built wooden part wise. not sure if that part was clear. Would allow for more plants to be arranged in a tighter area I’d think as well. Definitely easier to clean. That’s if you went with the ebb and flow. The PVC would be great for the NFT. That calculator I posted is pretty trick eh.

Considering the two in my head. I’d think the ebb and flow would be more forgiving. As there is little to no roots dangling out of the pots, as they are air pruned. The plant would probably let you know something was wrong without being dead. The NFT leaves you with very delicate roots. That are susceptible to any system failure, and the roots may be too far gone by the time you notice. The NFT probably wins in dissolved oxygen. And if I had to bet, I’d guess produce more IF everything else is in balance. Again all that is just my speculation on the two. I would consider the manifold you have built to be a hybrid. In the sense that even though you drain it, it’s basically sealed. So stays very wet and humid. Is why the roots went down the tube. You won’t get that seal with the PVC orientated horizontally in an ebb and flow.

And I feel you on wanting to grow some food! I’ve planted to many things to list this week. Is looking like asparagus omelette in the morning!! Fresh out the yard. 

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

All the relevant parts were just replaced. I cleaned it all and checked the repair guys for a second opinion. 

They Dont know what to say but sometimes even if you replace every board with the exact right board the ship still leaks. It is almost 20 years old. 

I can’t imagine there’s anything you haven’t thought of my dude. I’m sorry for your loss. 

On the plus now you get to go appliance shopping!!

On 5/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, ///M5 said:

OMG awesome!!

Thanks mang! :)

40 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

I can’t imagine there’s anything you haven’t thought of my dude. I’m sorry for your loss. 

On the plus now you get to go appliance shopping!!

Gotta sell a kidney. 

I need a job bad. I'm pretty unsure of what to do now. 

Frankly its get on the right stimulants, the right supportive drugs, and just get back into the workforce. The house is falling down around me and the most I can do is feed the people around me.  When the temps hit 70s I can get some work done but anything cooler and my hands stop working before I get anything done. I can work the snowblower or the riding mower. That's it. Lol. 

1 minute ago, dem beats said:

Gotta sell a kidney. 

Frankly its get on the right stimulants, the right supportive drugs, and just get back into the workforce. The house is falling down around me and the most I can do is feed the people around me.  When the temps hit 70s I can get some work done but anything cooler and my hands stop working before I get anything done. I can work the snowblower or the riding mower. That's it. Lol. 

Not sure if you’re still on the Embral? My wife has been getting it for free through some foundation. They mail her a three month supply at a time. If it’s something you’re interested in I can find out more.

9 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Typically I think you’re supposed to sterilize the air stones once a month. By soaking them in H2O2. Which is also what you can use to sterilize and reuse the pellets. These are 29 and 34%. https://4hydroponics.com/nutrilife-h2o2-garden-strength-1-gallon.htmlhttps://www.hawthornegc.com/shop/product/liquid-oxygen-h2o2-2
I also add that to the reservoir from time to time. If there is any sign of root infection or fungal gnats breeding. Also just turns into oxygen in the water once it has reacted.

The absolutely VERY first thing I add every single time I change the water is Drip Clean. https://www.amazon.com/House-Garden-HGDPC01L-Clean-Fertilizer/dp/B00V50IC9U  Stabilizes the water and acts like a magnet to keep the system clean. It doesn’t take much so a bottle lasts awhile

The other possible pertinent thing if doing the ebb is Clearex. Is a leaching agent used to flush the grow medium. Typically used to clean out salt build up. https://www.amazon.com/Botanicare-CLEAREX-Rinsing-Solution-1-Quart/dp/B0001XGPCS You may only need it if you are growing plants that stay in there for long periods. Or if you are cycling and frequently adding new plants with already established plants. i.e For me a grow takes four months from start to finish. The first two months is the veg stage and I typically don’t do any flush. As soon as I put them in flower I will drain the system and run just water and Clearex for one hour every two weeks. Can also add H2O at this time to really break things up if needed. Or for the reasons stated above. 

As far as the light I would suggest a 4 foot eight bulb t-5 fixture. At least a 4 bulb. More light, more food! Let me know if you need opinions on different ones.

Need opinions :)

11 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Not sure if you’re still on the Embral? My wife has been getting it for free through some foundation. They mail her a three month supply at a time. If it’s something you’re interested in I can find out more.

I switched to humera. I have a similar plan but I'm off the meds now.  I needed to come off to fight the bacteria and just in case the covid gets me bad I would have to come off anyway at that point.  I did the math and the short term possible damage tonmy joints is worth the chance to start healing again.

Just herbal remedies.  :D

I just need money. I could go to a gym find testosterone and adderall and probably be "fine".  I can mask the symptoms with street pharmacy stuff. I just want to stay out of prison and find out why I am so sick.  It sounds crazy but I'm I'm literally just wasting. Whatever stops that would make me fine. 

On 5/9/2020 at 8:27 AM, ///M5 said:

Need opinions :)

I personally like the Sun Blaze Brand. Otherwise Hydrofarm would be my second choice. with the space you have I would probably get a 6 or 8 bulb 4’ fixture. 
as far as bulbs they come in standard, HO and VHO. I would stick with the HO. There are only two brands I trust. Spectralux and Quantum. Trust to have the best intensity AND be the correct spectrum and stay that way the longest. 

Normally I would suggest buy used with just about anything. This is one thing I probably would weigh that gamble. This is how it breaks down. The bulbs are by far one of the largest costs. Because you want quality ones. They are 8 to $15 a bulb for a quality one. The only part other than the fixture itself, is the ballast. Of the half a dozen I’ve acquired used, I’ve had to replace at least half the ballasts. At $20-$40 a whack. Both costs mentioned are before shipping. 
So a used one that needs $100 in bulbs and possibly a ballast or two, puts you right up close to the cost of a new one. 

New they usually come with bulbs included. The Sun Blaze is probably one of the most expensive, but comes with Spectralux bulbs. While I imagine most use the same ballast and are just re-badged. I feel like Sun Blaze used a higher quality one, just speculation though. 
Either way the bulbs are the meat and potatoes of operation. 

Of course before I recommended much I went and researched a little on what you are growing. Definitely a lot of mixed opinions but most favoring the LED, for lettuce at least. That is if it is a quality LED that actually produces the Lumens it claims. 
So my question at this point that I hadn’t found the answer to yet. Is should a T5 be ran with half red and blue bulbs. As the first thing I noticed in any of the YouTube tests is they are comparing an LED with both light spectrum’s to a T5 with only blue 5700k veg bulbs. 
I saw they had came out with an LED T5 bulb. They are more expensive. But claim to last at least five years. Whereas regular bulbs will only last a year tops. Not sure if they produce the pink light, but assume they do. hopefully without the noise at least. Could be worth looking into once you are ready to commit long-term. 
I can only assume you enjoy my overly elaborate answers, unlike most people. Let me know if I’m off base there. Lol

22 hours ago, dem beats said:

I switched to humera. I have a similar plan but I'm off the meds now.  I needed to come off to fight the bacteria and just in case the covid gets me bad I would have to come off anyway at that point.  I did the math and the short term possible damage tonmy joints is worth the chance to start healing again.

Just herbal remedies.  :D

I just need money. I could go to a gym find testosterone and adderall and probably be "fine".  I can mask the symptoms with street pharmacy stuff. I just want to stay out of prison and find out why I am so sick.  It sounds crazy but I'm I'm literally just wasting. Whatever stops that would make me fine. 

Bad ideas, but ideas nonetheless!!

My number one rule in life is be resourceful. I will do whatever it takes to get me where I need to be, regardless of social opinion. Life is in session and we only have so many days on this planet. :)

On 5/9/2020 at 1:44 AM, dem beats said:

Gotta sell a kidney. 

Sounds like you might benefit from relocating to a warmer climate.

J

Got the cutter back up and running properly with a new output board. 90 bucks with the overnight shipping and back in business.

Also, keep up the projects guys. It's great to see and hear about these!!!

J

13 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Got the cutter back up and running properly with a new output board. 90 bucks with the overnight shipping and back in business.

Also, keep up the projects guys. It's great to see and hear about these!!!

J

Sweet! 

I’ll be back in the shop later this week and have a new design in mind. :D

Oh getting on an airplane today. Mandatory face mask the entire ride. 

All Annikya’s shit is still in Mississippi from when they shut the college down. They finally posted up a schedule to go and get everything. On super short notice that is. So off to do that and sign her new lease.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, j-roadtatts said:

I personally like the Sun Blaze Brand. Otherwise Hydrofarm would be my second choice. with the space you have I would probably get a 6 or 8 bulb 4’ fixture. 
as far as bulbs they come in standard, HO and VHO. I would stick with the HO. There are only two brands I trust. Spectralux and Quantum. Trust to have the best intensity AND be the correct spectrum and stay that way the longest. 

Normally I would suggest buy used with just about anything. This is one thing I probably would weigh that gamble. This is how it breaks down. The bulbs are by far one of the largest costs. Because you want quality ones. They are 8 to $15 a bulb for a quality one. The only part other than the fixture itself, is the ballast. Of the half a dozen I’ve acquired used, I’ve had to replace at least half the ballasts. At $20-$40 a whack. Both costs mentioned are before shipping. 
So a used one that needs $100 in bulbs and possibly a ballast or two, puts you right up close to the cost of a new one. 

New they usually come with bulbs included. The Sun Blaze is probably one of the most expensive, but comes with Spectralux bulbs. While I imagine most use the same ballast and are just re-badged. I feel like Sun Blaze used a higher quality one, just speculation though. 
Either way the bulbs are the meat and potatoes of operation. 

Of course before I recommended much I went and researched a little on what you are growing. Definitely a lot of mixed opinions but most favoring the LED, for lettuce at least. That is if it is a quality LED that actually produces the Lumens it claims. 
So my question at this point that I hadn’t found the answer to yet. Is should a T5 be ran with half red and blue bulbs. As the first thing I noticed in any of the YouTube tests is they are comparing an LED with both light spectrum’s to a T5 with only blue 5700k veg bulbs. 
I saw they had came out with an LED T5 bulb. They are more expensive. But claim to last at least five years. Whereas regular bulbs will only last a year tops. Not sure if they produce the pink light, but assume they do. hopefully without the noise at least. Could be worth looking into once you are ready to commit long-term. 
I can only assume you enjoy my overly elaborate answers, unlike most people. Let me know if I’m off base there. Lol

Love the elaboration.  Curious what the lights look like to your eyes?  ie, the current one is loud as hell and pink.  Nearly instant migraine if I look at it...

10 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Sweet! 

I’ll be back in the shop later this week and have a new design in mind. :D

Outstanding bro!!! Let me know, and I'll get some samples out to ya before your order!!

J

On 4/26/2020 at 11:14 PM, MKader17 said:

Crappy pic, but my dog and a deer in the yard this afternoon, just chillin.IMG_20200426_091456.thumb.jpg.5c5bb6a610fc4ac720c431cd282c5127.jpg

That is a big fluffler!

Overworked like crazy, but it is paying off.  Saving and investing like a possessed freight train. 

On 5/11/2020 at 8:30 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

Overworked like crazy, but it is paying off.  Saving and investing like a possessed freight train. 

Not overworked here, but putting money towards debts, investing, and putting some up as well. Using the sticker sales $$ to cover some day-to-day expenses too. They've been selling much better this past month, and I'm aiming to build on that going in to the summer.

J

On 5/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, Godsmack said:

Sounds like you might benefit from relocating to a warmer climate.

J

I would benefit from a complete life transplant.