Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

4 hours ago, Adrian_D said:

Almost identical to what I want: 

https://gebotools.ro/elevator-auto-profil-talie-joasa-tip-foarfeca-3000kg-400v.html

I need once recessed in the floor. A normal 2-post lift would've been nice, to get the wife's car in the garage, under the Miata. But it takes up too much space. We already had to increase the bedrooms a bit and move some technical spaces to the first floor because the garage is big (23ft wide, 19.6ft deep). 

If I had the room for a lift I'd opt for a 4 post with 2 bridges. I needed something that I could move.

On 2/20/2021 at 2:22 PM, ///M5 said:

2023 Mazda 6 rumored to come with a longitudinal straight 6 and a RWD platform.  Make a wagon and Speed version and I am interested!

I thought MazdaSpeed was dead?  That same engine and RWD is supposed to be what will be under the new RX-9 correct?

12 hours ago, nem said:

If I had the room for a lift I'd opt for a 4 post with 2 bridges. I needed something that I could move.

4-post is huuuuge :D

34 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I thought MazdaSpeed was dead?  That same engine and RWD is supposed to be what will be under the new RX-9 correct?

You know, their market share is so small, I think they could survive on Speed vehicles only.   

14 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

You know, their market share is so small, I think they could survive on Speed vehicles only.   

In this region, the amount of Mazdas on the road compared to Honda for example is not all that far off.  So it is surprising when I see sales #'s.

Dead or not, it is what I want.  Kills me that Honda has Acura, Toyota has Lexus and Mazda doesn't have shit.  If you compare ANY base model of any of them the Mazda wins in every aspect that isn't off road driving...yet, no luxury or performance variants.  Boo.  Major fucking boo.

On that note, the X3 MUST go.  Fucking hate that POS.  At the same time the Escalade has to as well.  I no longer care when something breaks which means it has to get the fuck out.

My current two winners for replacement are from companies that I work with a lot and would NEVER recommend.  SUCKS.  Someone hurry up and make something I want to buy!!!

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Dead or not, it is what I want.  Kills me that Honda has Acura, Toyota has Lexus and Mazda doesn't have shit.  If you compare ANY base model of any of them the Mazda wins in every aspect that isn't off road driving...yet, no luxury or performance variants.  Boo.  Major fucking boo.

On that note, the X3 MUST go.  Fucking hate that POS.  At the same time the Escalade has to as well.  I no longer care when something breaks which means it has to get the fuck out.

You're getting rid of the big ugly? :D

Speaking of Mazdaspeed, I'm thinking of getting a turbo manifold off a Mazdaspeed Miata to turbo my new Miata on the cheap. Already got a better turbo than the factory one. Should be a proper death trap at 200whp...

2 minutes ago, Adrian_D said:

Speaking of Mazdaspeed, I'm thinking of getting a turbo manifold off a Mazdaspeed Miata to turbo my new Miata on the cheap. Already got a better turbo than the factory one. Should be a proper death trap at 200whp...

K swap!

I debated that, even a 5.3 swap but I won't be able to keep it legal that way :(((( 

That's why the Mazdaspeed manifold is good, I can mount the turbo low, get a heatshied over it and the pass the yearly inspection easy. 

K24 would be AWESOME.

I'm lucky.  No inspections here.

For the money I could get for the entire drivetrain I could buy a truck 5.3 from Germany. 

Just now, Tirefryr said:

Such is life :D

I found a guy parting out a Mazdaspeed Miata in South Bend :lol:

2 hours ago, Adrian_D said:

Such is life :D

I found a guy parting out a Mazdaspeed Miata in South Bend :lol:

IS it as super rusty gray car?  IF you want me to look at anything, just let me know.

It is. Thanks for the offer, the guy wanted way too much for the entire engine, so I scored a manifold off ebay for $100 with shipping:D

There aren't many parts which I can't find local. I had 3 Miatas at one point. My old NA, the new NB2 and a rolling shell NB2, which I bought for fixing my NB2

Bought the NB2 like this, for cheap, locally. Low mileage, 6 speed, best rear diff, A/C and the 1.8.

xXiBgtd.jpg

Then I bought the roller NB2 for the front subframe

WUOmxpH.jpg

The crashed NB2 looks like this now: 

VjO8fZg.jpg

And since the fucking justice system is taking 11 months to write a damn statement so I can drive the NA again, I'll turbo the NB2 and enjoy it until someone buys it for how much I want. 

On 2/24/2021 at 7:29 AM, Tirefryr said:

Only 'inspection' we have is when you first get your plates. They just come glance at the VIN, mileage, signals, and listen for the horn. After that, nothing.

J

Neal - ever ceramic a boat?  When I pick up the Ranger in a few weeks I want to get the hull ready for the water.  

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Neal - ever ceramic a boat?  When I pick up the Ranger in a few weeks I want to get the hull ready for the water.  

Yes, just don't do the bottom. Makes it much easier to clean.

Curious why not to do the bottom (I would have lol).  Also wondering if for gel coat you found a product that is easier to apply or better?

I don't know if this is the case for all hydrophobic coatings, but I was looking to use them on some stainless canals and pits when I worked at Aramark.  I got in touch with a company who sold a product called Ultra Ever Dry.  They were the industry leader in industrial hydrophobic coatings at the time.  Upon speaking to them, they informed me that if the product is used on a substrate that is submerged in water for a significant amount of time, it actually loses it hydrophobic properties.  They told me all coatings were like this.  They could not explain to me why because of "trade secrets," but said I would never find a product on the market that would last if it was continually submerged in water.    Personally, I am thinking because nothing is truly sealed and everything is porous, then if it's constantly submerged, the water effectively works its way into the pores and under the coating and will eventually lift it.  Just my thoughts. 

While we are on the subject, I use Scorpion CMX Ion on my gel-coated trailers at work.  It has stood up to the constant bombardment of a 3K PSI pressure washer.  I'm on the two year point on one of our rentals and it's still holding up to bi-weekly washes  on straight gel coat.  I also use it on the thin aluminum diamond plate on the trailer steps and rock guards and it works fantastic!  The front of the trailers take a ton of abuse from road debris, but the Ion handles it like a champ. 

https://scorpioncoatings.com/cmx-ion-ceramic-coating/

Do to steering control at high speeds. If you don't feel that would be an issue for you, you can do the bottom. 

For people who want System X, I use the extreme SS  https://www.systemx.com/products/

For people who want something that is very durable and budget friendly, I use TEC 580 https://www.technicianschoice.net/products.asp?C0=1&C1=9&C2=0#

On all my coatings I use TEC 582 as a maintenance refresher to keep the coating super slick. The slicker it is the less time debris has time to contaminate the surface. https://www.technicianschoice.net/products.asp?C0=1&C1=9&C2=0#

If you are doing it yourself I would use the TEC 580. It is very easy to work with, flash time is about 30 seconds and is very forgiving. The system x flashes in 10-15 seconds and is not forgiving. 

Flash is the point where you level out your high spots.

Are you going to cut and polish the gel to remove all the oxidation?

7 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I don't know if this is the case for all hydrophobic coatings, but I was looking to use them on some stainless canals and pits when I worked at Aramark.  I got in touch with a company who sold a product called Ultra Ever Dry.  They were the industry leader in industrial hydrophobic coatings at the time.  Upon speaking to them, they informed me that if the product is used on a substrate that is submerged in water for a significant amount of time, it actually loses it hydrophobic properties.  They told me all coatings were like this.  They could not explain to me why because of "trade secrets," but said I would never find a product on the market that would last if it was continually submerged in water.    Personally, I am thinking because nothing is truly sealed and everything is porous, then if it's constantly submerged, the water effectively works its way into the pores and under the coating and will eventually lift it.  Just my thoughts. 

While we are on the subject, I use Scorpion CMX Ion on my gel-coated trailers at work.  It has stood up to the constant bombardment of a 3K PSI pressure washer.  I'm on the two year point on one of our rentals and it's still holding up to bi-weekly washes  on straight gel coat.  I also use it on the thin aluminum diamond plate on the trailer steps and rock guards and it works fantastic!  The front of the trailers take a ton of abuse from road debris, but the Ion handles it like a champ. 

https://scorpioncoatings.com/cmx-ion-ceramic-coating/

Anything left below the water surface will take a beating and build up contamination faster then you can keep it clean. System X and Ceramic Pro don't recommend it for high speed steering issues. 

I forgot to mention, boats are a crazy amount of work.

Even brand new off the showroom.

I never even thought of it from a steering perspective.   You need traction even in the water.