Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Awesome, thanks Neal.  I will cut it, but there isn't much oxidation.  Boat has been well kept for a 15 year old boat.  Mostly I guess I want to make sure to protect the flake.  That portion ought to be less work than the whole thing. :)

Here is my starting point.  I will refrain from doing the black lower hull, but will probably wrap around onto the white on the gunnel.  Want to make it easy to wipe down every time I pull it out of the water.  This will be a day launch and then back into the garage boat so it should be subjected to all the nasty shit my other boat is.

txrf5ZB.jpg

I don't have a random orbital.  WAY over due to grab one.  Never did because of the price of the flex.  Have a rotary, but that is overkill for the condition of the boat.

The Griots Boss seems to get decent reviews and is way more affordable.  Any thoughts on what is bang for the buck.  I will use it 1-3x a year max...

45 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I don't have a random orbital.  WAY over due to grab one.  Never did because of the price of the flex.  Have a rotary, but that is overkill for the condition of the boat.

The Griots Boss seems to get decent reviews and is way more affordable.  Any thoughts on what is bang for the buck.  I will use it 1-3x a year max...

Rotary is fine as long as you use the right pads.

I use the Harbor Freight RO unit myself.  Been running strong for 3 years now.  I think I paid $56.  Really hard to beat.

Very welcome, beautiful boat!

As far as polisher, Griots will do a good job and I have seen people using HB freight ones as well. The most important thing is use the proper pads for the compounds.

I have corrected to much damage caused by rotary buffers done by local shops here.

As for coating, I would coat everything but the black. The flake should pop pretty good.

Do the trailer fenders also.

If we were closer, I have a couple Flex tools.

If we were closer I'd pay you to do it, provide beer and help :)

By help, I mean I'd be your bitch for day.

5 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Rotary is fine as long as you use the right pads.

I use the Harbor Freight RO unit myself.  Been running strong for 3 years now.  I think I paid $56.  Really hard to beat.

My rotary is a Northern Tool...so probably the same Chicago Electric that HF sells for a similar $50 or so.  I have cut my other boat with it a few times and am competent enough and have the right pads...but for the next 20 years I am going to use something a few times a year so it is time for a real tool.  Not Flex quality though as I just won't do that for how it will be used.

21 hours ago, ///M5 said:

By help, I mean I'd be your bitch for day.

Na we would have a good time. One you had the flex in your hands you would have a blast!

I am only doing 5-6 vehicles this year, kind of of tired doing it for fun unless it is for a friend.

I might as well start with the clan of over buyers.

What's y'all's way of setting up for outdoor cooking on a camping trip. We are going with a group in two weekends and I want more capacity then our normal oven and little coleman grill.

YUGE grill and cauldron? 

IMO for an over the weekend camping trip, the cauldron is a must. Slow cooked goulash some strong alcohol, we did that on new year's eve a few times :D  

On a Jeep trip, one of the guys built the biggest grill he could fit in his cargo area. 20 people grilled their lunch on that grill :D

The in-laws are visiting for a month, I think I'll fire up the cauldron on Sunday, I can taste the chicken goulash now. 

Darn it, I'm hungry now...

4 hours ago, nem said:

Na we would have a good time. One you had the flex in your hands you would have a blast!

I am only doing 5-6 vehicles this year, kind of of tired doing it for fun unless it is for a friend.

My buddy has a flex.  I just hate driving an hour each way to grab it. :P  I should own one anyways....just don't think I need the flex.  I'll hate it if the Griot's is way inferior though since I've used his.

So my pad setup is all for a flex and the compounds and such I have.  Bought it assuming one day I would buy a Flex, but since he has one I haven't.  

4 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I might as well start with the clan of over buyers.

What's y'all's way of setting up for outdoor cooking on a camping trip. We are going with a group in two weekends and I want more capacity then our normal oven and little coleman grill.

I use an MSR multifuel stove and a frying pan in addition to the fire pit.

Really depends of course on what you are cooking.  Share the menu and I can help make it easier.

4 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

My buddy has a flex.  I just hate driving an hour each way to grab it. :P  I should own one anyways....just don't think I need the flex.  I'll hate it if the Griot's is way inferior though since I've used his.

If it's the best tool for the job, get it. No sense in 3/4 assing it.

J

1 hour ago, Adrian_D said:

The in-laws are visiting for a month, I think I'll fire up the cauldron on Sunday, I can taste the chicken goulash now. 

Darn it, I'm hungry now...

I'd like to know what is in your goulash.

So I'm coming up on a year with the VA, and I am thinking it's time for a change. The level of ineptitude and piss poor planning is driving me up the wall.

J

Just now, Godsmack said:

If it's the best tool for the job, get it. No sense in 3/4 assing it.

J

Priorities.  $400 for a 3401, $250 for the G21.  I realize it is only $150, but ...

Just now, Godsmack said:

So I'm coming up on a year with the VA, and I am thinking it's time for a change. The level of ineptitude and piss poor planning is driving me up the wall.

J

The grass isn't greener where it seems to be always.  Don't be rash, but start looking.  Hard time to find work as covid fucked some shit up.

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

Priorities.  $400 for a 3401, $250 for the G21.  I realize it is only $150, but ...

Performance wise will it save you time or effort for the extra $150? Will it make teaching the boys easier?

J

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

The grass isn't greener where it seems to be always.  Don't be rash, but start looking.  Hard time to find work as covid fucked some shit up.

I started looking two weeks ago. I'm applying for other positions within the VA, and looking at outside agencies as well. Had a random phone conversation with someone from Orlando's VA today about my program as it's being shuffled to a new department. She expressed interest in bringing me over to run it. It would be a significant pay raise, but Orlando does nothing for me.

J

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Performance wise will it save you time or effort for the extra $150? Will it make teaching the boys easier?

J

And to be fare until I posted that they were $550....but when I looked I realized it wasn't $300 more.