Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I'd like to know what is in your goulash.

Same here. I remember a friend making a soup in a cauldron for an event we had. I could have eaten it every meal for the weekend.

7 hours ago, ///M5 said:

It's a more sweeter tasting and creamier goulash

2.5 gallon caulton

7 lbs of potatoes

5 lbs of chicken breast

2 lbs of carrots

7 big white onions

1 liter of heavy cream (I used from 15% up to 32%, the fatter, the creamier)

1-2 tablespoons of tomato puree

2-3 red bell peppers

2-3 red oval peppers 

Chili peppers depending on how hot you want it

Heat the oil, then add:

Onions

Chicken, carrots, peppers after the onion is cooked a bit

Potatoes and enough water to cover them, after the chicken is white

Tomato puree

Let it boil as long as needed for the potatoes to soften up a lot

After you take it off the heat, add the heavy cream. 

We did it in-house on the stove, in a pot as big as needed and adjusted the quantities around the chicken :D  

The above quantities are what we use when going out in a large group (~10 people).

Another crowd favorite for breakfast was what I call Kosher eggs (I know the "recipe" from an old hungarian lady my folks took care of): 

Hardboiled eggs, onions and sour cream. Served with bread on the grill or on a wood stove plate, YUM. 

No need to take care of the eggs, just let them boil and come back when you remember. 

16 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Really depends of course on what you are cooking.  Share the menu and I can help make it easier.

This time around, just making breakfast for 10 adults and 11 kids. Haven't decided but probably going to do some sort of Breakfast taco setup with eggs sausage and bacon.

When it's just the wife, kids, and I we just cook in the camper, on a Coleman road trip grill, or over the campfire. For this I'd like a bit extra umph to serve that many people.

18 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Always digging in other men's goulash. 

14 hours ago, MKader17 said:

cauldron 

Fantastic word choice. 

Let's say someone needed locks for residential and they had to be better than pick resistant and better than basic drill/impact resistant. 

If they have a hammer drill I have bigger issues. 

Asking for a friend.  Tee hee.  

My research has me thinking

ASSA > MEDICO > Primus

I love this guy and his approach if you want to make your life really easy and get all the locks to work with you in life.  You can expand into integration if you want with the comercial systems as business always want to upgrade and you www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DpwkeSzbsLsU&ved=2ahUKEwiRs-mB9pTvAhUXCM0KHfvlCFYQ28sGMAB6BAgBEAs&usg=AOvVaw07kt2UyL-Rj9t9lPSq6tQv&cshid=1614801957094

4 hours ago, dem beats said:

Let's say someone needed locks for residential and they had to be better than pick resistant and better than basic drill/impact resistant. 

ASSA > MEDICO > Primus

Flat face electric locks with door bar.

J

8 hours ago, MKader17 said:

This time around, just making breakfast for 10 adults and 11 kids. Haven't decided but probably going to do some sort of Breakfast taco setup with eggs sausage and bacon.

When it's just the wife, kids, and I we just cook in the camper, on a Coleman road trip grill, or over the campfire. For this I'd like a bit extra umph to serve that many people.

Do you own a sous vide?

17 hours ago, Adrian_D said:

It's a more sweeter tasting and creamier goulash

2.5 gallon caulton

7 lbs of potatoes

5 lbs of chicken breast

2 lbs of carrots

7 big white onions

1 liter of heavy cream (I used from 15% up to 32%, the fatter, the creamier)

1-2 tablespoons of tomato puree

2-3 red bell peppers

2-3 red oval peppers 

Chili peppers depending on how hot you want it

Heat the oil, then add:

Onions

Chicken, carrots, peppers after the onion is cooked a bit

Potatoes and enough water to cover them, after the chicken is white

Tomato puree

Let it boil as long as needed for the potatoes to soften up a lot

After you take it off the heat, add the heavy cream. 

We did it in-house on the stove, in a pot as big as needed and adjusted the quantities around the chicken :D  

The above quantities are what we use when going out in a large group (~10 people).

Thanks dude!!  What sort of chile peppers are your jam?  We have all sorts of Hungarian Paprika over here....but I'd like to know what you consider a pepper. :P

6 hours ago, dem beats said:

ASSA > MEDICO > Primus

Overthinking it IMO.  Locks keep honest people away, thieves have other ways of entry.  Your back door is super private and ultra easy for someone to just blast through if they want.  I'd get a Google or wireless lock and call it a day.

Like Sean said, all a super expensive lock will do in a residential setting is ensure a broken window or door jamb.  

A true thief will break in, the lock is the least of their worries.  

Most homes have some of the shittiest hardware ever securing their doors.  Take my house for example.  When i bought it, the entry doors had the shitty 1/2 factory screws in its hinges that would have came with the being pre-hung.

The metal jamb plate had the same 1/2 screws holding it on.

Any full grown man could kick the door in, despite it being a metal door with a deadbolt...

Quick upgrade to a better  deadbolt (longer, with a hardened rod through it) replace the 1/2 inch cheapy screws with 3.5 inch lags that go through the frame for both the door and the jamb plate and now it'll take more than a single boot to open.

Instead, a thief will just pry/break a window to get in... If they want it, they'll find a way.

12 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Do you own a sous vide?

I do and I'm not sure where you are going with this...

On 3/4/2021 at 2:19 AM, ///M5 said:

Thanks dude!!  What sort of chile peppers are your jam?  We have all sorts of Hungarian Paprika over here....but I'd like to know what you consider a pepper. :P

You're welcome :D Red bell peppers: 

2_ardei_gras_rosu_cal1.jpg

Oval peppers:

1476_0_2_traian-f1.jpg

I don't know if this brand of pepper paste has gotten to that side of the world, but in case it did, you can substitute the peppers for a couple of tablespoons of this: 

pasta-ardei-dulce-200g-1-copy.png

As for chilis, whatever I find, nothing too hot, as the entire dish is more on the sweet side because of the heavy cream :)

19 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Precook and freeze your proteins.  Can even do this with the eggs.  Will take the necessary stove requirements down to almost nothing.  I managed to eat gourmet meals in the woods for a week this way using just my camp stove.  When I say camp stove, I mean a stove that fits into a small pan and runs on white gas.  ie, here I am making some donuts in the woods for the family

eSmgP5Z.jpg

Heating up sous vide chicken tacos

Zh9ZHhD.jpg

Making pancakes with wild picked berries

AHdQwaO.jpg

3 minute fry on sous vide breakfast sausage

O629k8I.jpg

It was SUPER easy.  Before the sous vide I did it all fresh.  Now I sous vide and freeze our meals and just have to flash fry them.  I do a lot with a pan in the fire as well.  As for what you should do, again it needs  to come down to exactly what you plan to make and then I can tell you what I'd do.

The sous vide seems like cheating to get a gourmet meal out in the woods :D

Can't say I dislike the idea. 

I made a small grill for day trips with the Jeep. All the meat gets in the travel fridge and by the time we're hungry, it's all thawed up and ready to throw on the fire. 

On 3/4/2021 at 7:02 AM, ///M5 said:

Precook and freeze your proteins.  Can even do this with the eggs.  Will take the necessary stove requirements down to almost nothing.  I managed to eat gourmet meals in the woods for a week this way using just my camp stove.  When I say camp stove, I mean a stove that fits into a small pan and runs on white gas.  ie, here I am making some donuts in the woods for the family

[pictures]

It was SUPER easy.  Before the sous vide I did it all fresh.  Now I sous vide and freeze our meals and just have to flash fry them.  I do a lot with a pan in the fire as well.  As for what you should do, again it needs  to come down to exactly what you plan to make and then I can tell you what I'd do.

For this particular meal, we will likely do eggs, bacon, sausage and tortillas and let people make breakfast tacos. Overall, I'll be buying this to use for general outdoor cooking moving forward.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:20 PM, ///M5 said:

Dead or not, it is what I want.  Kills me that Honda has Acura, Toyota has Lexus and Mazda doesn't have shit.  If you compare ANY base model of any of them the Mazda wins in every aspect that isn't off road driving...yet, no luxury or performance variants.  Boo.  Major fucking boo.

On that note, the X3 MUST go.  Fucking hate that POS.  At the same time the Escalade has to as well.  I no longer care when something breaks which means it has to get the fuck out.

Mazda seems to be trying to slot between what would be the metaphorical Honda AND its Acura variant, but at the Honda level pricing.  With all the work they have done on luxury and materials and less on sport, that is the way it comes across.  Honestly, the new 3 Turbo hatch is almost perfect for a daily driver for me.

I guess I should clarify that my camping is in an RV. I have space to work with.

I'm all over the place looking for something and searching for all sorts of other things at the moment (more posts to come)

I broke a PCV barb on my truck today and it got me thinking? Anyone have real info on catch cans? I see how dirty some of the engines at work get, but we do some weird stuff with them. I can't find reliable information that says it's worth it or not.

The amount of black, dirty crap getting on my intake pipe with it unplugged suggests it could be helpful.

If it’s a direct injection engine then the catch can will have some value.

It will slow down the valves from carbon build up.