Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

9 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Mazda seems to be trying to slot between what would be the metaphorical Honda AND its Acura variant, but at the Honda level pricing.  With all the work they have done on luxury and materials and less on sport, that is the way it comes across.  Honestly, the new 3 Turbo hatch is almost perfect for a daily driver for me.

For as cheap as their cars are, the interiors are stupid nice!  I miss my 6.

3 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I've never used a headlamp, but I freaking LOVE my Fenix flashlights!

3 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I broke a PCV barb on my truck today and it got me thinking? Anyone have real info on catch cans? I see how dirty some of the engines at work get, but we do some weird stuff with them. I can't find reliable information that says it's worth it or not.

The amount of black, dirty crap getting on my intake pipe with it unplugged suggests it could be helpful.

If they are designed and installed correctly, they work well.   The problem with most kits is they just don't provide enough length of hose for the oil vapor to condense and fall into the can.  Most of the oil vapor makes its way back to the intake and renders the catch can pointless.   The thing you really have to ask yourself is, why do you think you need one?  Do you want to believe the marketing hype?  Cars have been running normal PVC systems for years without issue.  Only recently with the advent of direct injection have we seen issue with carbon deposits being a detriment.   IIRC, you have the Ecoboost, so that is direct injected and you could benefit from a can given it's implemented properly.

And Sean beat me to it.

12 hours ago, S.DeYoung said:

If it’s a direct injection engine then the catch can will have some value.

12 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

If they are designed and installed correctly, they work well.   The problem with most kits is they just don't provide enough length of hose for the oil vapor to condense and fall into the can.  Most of the oil vapor makes its way back to the intake and renders the catch can pointless.   The thing you really have to ask yourself is, why do you think you need one?  Do you want to believe the marketing hype?  Cars have been running normal PVC systems for years without issue.  Only recently with the advent of direct injection have we seen issue with carbon deposits being a detriment.   IIRC, you have the Ecoboost, so that is direct injected and you could benefit from a can given it's implemented properly.

What got me thinking of it more than marketing is working on some of our 5.3L L83's from silverado's at work. We do some non-standard stuff but the intake track of the engine looked terrible at just 19,000 miles. Additionally, when my barb broke, I saw how much black carbon was getting dumped. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, it just "looks" bad.

All of it got me to asking questions and all my online research was inconclusive.

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

What got me thinking of it more than marketing is working on some of our 5.3L L83's from silverado's at work. We do some non-standard stuff but the intake track of the engine looked terrible at just 19,000 miles. Additionally, when my barb broke, I saw how much black carbon was getting dumped. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, it just "looks" bad.

All of it got me to asking questions and all my online research was inconclusive.

You're on the right track.  It looks abnormal to you so you're curious.  On the Silverados, I'm willing to bet they spend most of the time idling or are used for short distances.  Manifold pressure is highest at idle and low throttle, so the oil vapor condenses and puddles in  the manifold and associated ducting.  The problem with the direct injection engines is just that. Without that injector squirting the fuel at the back of the valves such as in traditional port injection engines, the oil vapors settle on the back of the intake valves and heat from combustion turns them into carbon deposits. 

All I can say is this has been some great food bits here.

J

Doing some maintenance on the Mark reminded me of why I sold my last one.  Love this car, but the scarcity of parts and the price of those that remain are worrisome.

59 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Doing some maintenance on the Mark reminded me of why I sold my last one.  Love this car, but the scarcity of parts and the price of those that remain are worrisome.

Don't most of them interchange with Town Car and Crown Vic parts?

J

Not at all.  It's an entirely different beast

Well shit

After way too much research I landed on the Fenix HM61R

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hm61r-multi-use-headlamp/

You get a 20% coupon for signing up for their news letter so it was ~$68 total. Has a 950 Lumen turbo beam and as low as a 1 Lumen red led

It also detaches, has magnetic bottom, and rechargeable battery included. Pretty cool amount of features for a head lamp. What sold me on this style (other than the red) is that you can rotate the light up, which makes it convenient to use like an area light in dark spaces. 

It's clear you guys don't have strong enough schnaps. If you get hammered enough you don't need a headlamp :D 

Going to use turbo mode on my headlamp to blind you and steal your schnaps! :P 

On 3/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, MKader17 said:

Black diamond headlamps.  We've got a couple here and love them.  

On 3/3/2021 at 11:33 AM, dem beats said:

Let's say someone needed locks for residential and they had to be better than pick resistant and better than basic drill/impact resistant. 

If they have a hammer drill I have bigger issues. 

Asking for a friend.  Tee hee.  

My research has me thinking

ASSA > MEDICO > Primus

Pick issues means no keys so an electronic unit.  Got reinforcement plates on the jamb/hinges/locks?  If not, Armor Concepts makes a decent kit.  Unless you've really pissed someone off, don't think they're drilling a front door lock, more kick the door in or break a window around back.  

I've got electronic locks, but they're a key backup, don't trust them without one.  

On 3/8/2021 at 9:24 PM, MKader17 said:

Going to use turbo mode on my headlamp to blind you and steal your schnaps! :P 

No need, just come over and I will share, there's plenty to knock out the entire gang here :D

On 3/5/2021 at 3:01 AM, Adrian_D said:

The sous vide seems like cheating to get a gourmet meal out in the woods :D

Can't say I dislike the idea. 

I made a small grill for day trips with the Jeep. All the meat gets in the travel fridge and by the time we're hungry, it's all thawed up and ready to throw on the fire. 

When you eat in the woods for a week, but have your car and cooler for half of it why not eat gourmet food in the woods?

On 3/5/2021 at 7:48 AM, MKader17 said:

For this particular meal, we will likely do eggs, bacon, sausage and tortillas and let people make breakfast tacos. Overall, I'll be buying this to use for general outdoor cooking moving forward.

I'd precook all the proteins.  Sous vide the sausage, par bake the bacon, and sous vide the eggs.  Build a fire and wrap the tortillas in heavy duty tinfoil and two pans can heat the proteins.  Can also reheat the bacon in tinfoil.  Personally I think big cook stoves are pointless and obnoxious to carry around.  

On 3/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, Aaron Clinton said:

Mazda seems to be trying to slot between what would be the metaphorical Honda AND its Acura variant, but at the Honda level pricing.  With all the work they have done on luxury and materials and less on sport, that is the way it comes across.  Honestly, the new 3 Turbo hatch is almost perfect for a daily driver for me.

Exactly why a luxury variant of the Mazda would be the bomb.  I am getting soft as I get older.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, MKader17 said:

Buy something disposable.  Headlamps are as exciting to me as camp stoves.  The only two times I ever use one are cooking in the dark and fileting fish in the dark.  Other than that learn to let your eyes adjust.  That being said I camp where RV's can't go so that there are no extraneous lights as that ruins the camping experience IMO.  One critical feature of all headlamps is a red light mode.  It is huge at keeping your eyes in tune with nature.  Blue white SUCKS donkey dick.

18 hours ago, ///M5 said:

When you eat in the woods for a week, but have your car and cooler for half of it why not eat gourmet food in the woods?

It makes total sense :)

BTW, your comment years ago about knife skills reducing time in the kitchen made the most difference to my cooking. 

Every time I'm near somebody cooking I volunteer to chop anything that needs chopped just to practice. 2 lbs of onions for a big goulash? I'm down, just wipe my tears from time to time. 

And I remembered another breakfast goodie, onion omelet: 

Slice several white onions, fry them in some vegetable oil until they soften/turn slightly translucent, then add enough beaten eggs to lightly cover them.  A pinch of salt and you're good to go. Quick and easy, has a bit of sweetness from the onions. 

I usually use 1 large onion per egg. 

You can replace the onions with leeks and I highly recommend butter for frying the leeks. 

On 3/3/2021 at 12:49 AM, Adrian_D said:

Another crowd favorite for breakfast was what I call Kosher eggs (I know the "recipe" from an old hungarian lady my folks took care of): 

Hardboiled eggs, onions and sour cream. Served with bread on the grill or on a wood stove plate, YUM. 

No need to take care of the eggs, just let them boil and come back when you remember. 

Do you folks have rye white borscht for Easter?

I'm thinking maybe our people drank and wrestled bear together many generations back from how you describe food. 

On 3/3/2021 at 7:25 PM, nigel said:

Like Sean said, all a super expensive lock will do in a residential setting is ensure a broken window or door jamb.  

A true thief will break in, the lock is the least of their worries.  

Most homes have some of the shittiest hardware ever securing their doors.  Take my house for example.  When i bought it, the entry doors had the shitty 1/2 factory screws in its hinges that would have came with the being pre-hung.

The metal jamb plate had the same 1/2 screws holding it on.

Any full grown man could kick the door in, despite it being a metal door with a deadbolt...

Quick upgrade to a better  deadbolt (longer, with a hardened rod through it) replace the 1/2 inch cheapy screws with 3.5 inch lags that go through the frame for both the door and the jamb plate and now it'll take more than a single boot to open.

Instead, a thief will just pry/break a window to get in... If they want it, they'll find a way.

Yes to everything you said. 

The ex knows how to bump cheep locks. Has the snap tool too and can use it. Her brother could pick an abloy if he knew there was a tool and had time so I'm not trying to out think or stop anyone.

I agree about everything you said and counter with the fact that I desire a better lock because I want to control the point of entry to something louder and more conspicuous than the woman who used to live here approaching the door and it looking like she used a key.  Until everything I have is scanned and backed up I make sure someone is always home. 

Its about controlling access points and how frustrating and hopefully loud I make it  

Silly I know, but I'm first principals and very very sick. Or else I would move.

The police directly told me that even if I had video of her doing some baaaaaaaad shit it probably wouldn't help them do anything that would help me.  I'm not afraid of violence, but I wouldn't put it past her trying to sneak in to break a computer or even just damage property. 

My garage door keeps opening up..... it is what it is. 

She is in a bad place.