Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I've lost my patients with every member of my family, (read wife's family + Arthur as that is the family I have left) pressuring me to go Apple.  Funny, because it's my efforts on SSA that pays for the cell phones in my house.....

I see the draw to go apple if a lot of your family uses apple or if you use other apple products (mac, mac book , iPad, etc.). Convincing a group of iPhone users to switch to another messaging app when iMessage/ FaceTime is really good is a hard ask.

5 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Video seems better quality to me. Also, I was able to take a video, crop the frame, do some light adjustment, adjust the beginning in end in a flash. With Android I can only crop the beginning and end and the time to save the new video takes a long time.

I'll also throw in that sharing videos amongst other iPhone users is simple and great quality. I still haven't found a good way to send a video on android that isn't uploading it and sending a link

I just share a link to my drive account.  Fundamentally exactly what Apple is doing as well btw.

It's pretty difficult to do things with one arm.

14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I just share a link to my drive account.  Fundamentally exactly what Apple is doing as well btw.

I agree, but I think that it is exactly the fundamentals that Apple does right for it's consumer base. Clicking a thumbnail that immediately put's your phone into full screen to watch the video is far superior to clicking an awkward looking link. It seems silly but it's true.

This wasn't a controlled study, but I tried to send my iPhone friend a video I put together. Each way I sent it, he said it was really grainy. When I got the iPhone I immediately sent him the same video through iMessage and it was super clear. :shrug:

Read all of this with the full understanding that I will be switching back to Android at some point, but with a new perspective.

Oddly enough, I may end this experiment by buying a flagship Android device instead of the mid-range devices I've been buying over the last 4-6 years.

On 3/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

Shipping delays and cost increases on us have been bonkers.

We are getting a month break at work as in not running every production line with mandatory OT.

22 hours ago, ///M5 said:

It would just need to be called iPixel and they'd love it.

Still rocking the pixel xl2 five years strong.

I won't spend more than $100 on a phone.

9 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I won't spend more than $100 on a phone.

The pixel 2xl was the cheapest at the time. Now they keep bugging me to get a new phone.

14 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I agree, but I think that it is exactly the fundamentals that Apple does right for it's consumer base. Clicking a thumbnail that immediately put's your phone into full screen to watch the video is far superior to clicking an awkward looking link. It seems silly but it's true.

This wasn't a controlled study, but I tried to send my iPhone friend a video I put together. Each way I sent it, he said it was really grainy. When I got the iPhone I immediately sent him the same video through iMessage and it was super clear. :shrug:

And when he sends you a video, tiny and grainy.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:23 AM, MKader17 said:

Also, my friend sent me his old Iphone x and after being an Apple hater for so long, I'm kind of torn.

FaceID is really convenient (when not wearing a mask). The video experience is reaaaaaally good (to the point that if you had any intention of publishing your videos I wouldn't even consider Android). The flow in and out of apps is much smoother. The voice recognition of Siri is superior despite the fact that Google has been learning my voice for years. Additionally, the length of time Siri will listen helps me get my thoughts to text without worrying about it stopping. Screen rotation is so smooth. On Android is seems to rotate begrudgingly. Lastly, any app that I use on Android is available on the iphone (though at times is slightly inferior and less integrated). By having an iphone you can have access to both worlds.

The cons? The interface hasn't changed much since my iPad2 in 2012. The notification system is lacking immensely (it's the backbone of android and the after thought of iOS). Apple Maps is insufficient and Google Maps is neutered. The widgets are lame and the ability to layout your home screen isn't good. Everything in iOS feels "small" as in they don't seem to utilize space well to make it easy to navigate. My wife's Pixel 4a has a smaller screen but the screen feels bigger.

Overall, I'm walking away impressed and could see why people like iphone. I also have realized that most iOS users do not utilize their phones at all. I think that they are stuck on Android of the past and think it's "janky". I think most iOS users would be perfectly satisfied with a Pixel 4a at half the price of the cheapest iphone.

/Vamp

For anyone not looking to jailbreak them, Apple makes a better product IMO. Video and cross platform use is great. I wouldn't go back to Android at this point.

J

If it is your only Apple device it is far worse cross platform.  

Android's text integration in windows is enough to stay on Andriod on its own.  Saves me a SHIT ton of time at work.  Biggest efficiency gain I have.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:32 PM, ///M5 said:

Android's text integration in windows is enough to stay on Andriod on its own.  Saves me a SHIT ton of time at work.  Biggest efficiency gain I have.

You mean going to messages.android.com or something else?

On 3/28/2021 at 10:31 PM, ///M5 said:

If it is your only Apple device it is far worse cross platform.  

I can understand that. For me it was trying out the iPhone 4 then using nothing but Mac in photography classes that made the switch easy.

J

20 hours ago, ///M5 said:

.google, but yes

:lol: I've always typed messages.android and never realized it was redirecting me to messages.google.

I use it, but not a huge amount in my profession. I could see how it would be very useful.

Same with photos, password cross platform integration, dialer.  So much better than Apple.  Tried to help my brother set his Apple up, but it sucks donkey.  Also Android Auto is far superior to Carplay in having shit that actually works.

My phone sits on a wireless charger by my desk all day.  I answer texts, calls, make calls and do everything I need a phone to do without picking it up.  I spend on average 7+ hours a day talking as well.  Reminds me of one other thing that Android destroys Apple on.  The transition from wifi calls to cell antenna.  100% of the time when I am talking  to my boss and he moves from wifi to cell antenna I lose him.  I can walk back and forth all day long and never drop a call.  Bluetooth range seems to be better as well, but perhaps that is solely the Pixel.

Where Apple wins is if you subscribe to their complete system.  PC, phone, icloud and everything else.  Personally I am frugal so that isn't in the cards.  I have other things to spend money on.

On 3/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, nigel said:

That's a shitty situation to be in man.  Sorry that someone is that hellbent on wrecking your life.  Hopefully you can find a solution.  And reinforce all of your entry points.  

I definitely agree with the concept of, make it too noisy and obvious to be worth trying.  This is what stops them most of the time.

If they think it's too likely they'll be caught they move on.  Although it sounds like in your situation it's very directed and not random.

Have you looked at bowley locks?

https://www.bowleylockcompany.com/store/p11/Bowley_Lock_Grade_3.html

These are designed to prevent bumping/picking/raking.

HuxleyPig had it beat in hours.  He is built different, and I feel kinship. When he patients a new pick/documentation device  then the redacted agencies around the world release their version for sale as competition.  He is just a British guy in a basement. He is probably an asshole, but I would really enjoy picking around in his brain for a bit. I'll see if I can find the video. I think he defeats the bowley in 10-20 seconds after setting the tension rod. It is offensive to see how easy and how dismissive this man is of peoples hard work. Then again, if I not only picked but created a tool to pick and document the keyway that performs better than government agencies, I may also feel bold in my opinions. If you're not aware of the feat of picking an Abloy disk lock, he was the first and then made the current standard tool.  IYKYK.  I'm a fan obviously.  Roomate went to the first infosecurity graduate school and for some reason I just love physical penetration techniques.

:D

That said, the bowly is just about the domestic thing you can get if your not familiar with first principle bumping techniques and overcoming skeleton keyway problems. Its so amusing as a friend in Detroit who's husband is a security dude also recommended the bowley.  Let me say this right away, hard steel on the outside and a strong key go a long fuxking way. Especially when an 8 year old can bump locks that hold weapon system intel in <5 seconds.  For certain i think I've flipped my mind and would take one over a Medico at the same price.  Its way cooler, hardish steel outside, sick as fuck key. 

To be fair.... I am self educated and interested in physical and "soft" penetration exercises.  I have daydreams about keyway tumbler variables.  Some day I will design a stronger lock than anything on the market  takes way less precision to build.  I have very little exposure to comercial systems other than online though so I wondered if I missed an obvious answer. I'm kind of just a fan of poking holes what we think is a stable and secure society. I like knowing everything is a house of cards with half of them missing. Makes the day to day more spicy and love things that disrupt. 

In fact, only in quiet places like here, would I mention that I think I coukd build a better lock with mass production products that would make something better for less than the cheapest made currently.  I may be jerking myself off but I think I'm on solid ground.

:D

On 3/19/2021 at 12:11 AM, Godsmack said:

That's a fucking rough one man. Normally I would advocate for things to make any other entry point painful as hell; but here prevention is the key solution. Got any out of work buddies with more time than cash that you trust? Pay em a bit of cash to be there at times. Might make a nice deterrent.

J

I'm putting up cameras. 

The exes lawyer showed up at my home. For the next few days I'm filled with legal paperwork. 

The exes laywer made liable statements, there is conflict with a "neutral party" that my exes lawyer apparently rented from.  She has missgendered me.  She has committed crimes etc. The problem is that police can do nothing until I file a mountain of RSO and official profesional responsibility and sanction paperwork. 

I mean this when I say it, my exes lawyer has been so drunk at every interaction we have had that even the arbitration person had to cut our call short. 

The W put it in her blog, the goal is to hurt me not to even win.  I had to fire my previous lawyer as when the ex found out about it, he has fraud against his SS made. Anyone who helps will be hurt also. 

Its only scare as I'm trying to apply for disability. Maybe you guys know, maybe not, but I havebeen in and out of work with a lot of health problems. Long story short... ALL my medical files across the whole EPIC system is corrupted. One clinic had me as a woman....

I cannot say my ex was absolutely involved with medical record problems but, her and her partner that had been helping her fleece me for ~$500K  and they both work in medical records across the state....and have root access to EPIC.  The ex also got her partner a job at the health group I have to go to now and the ex was trained at EPIC headquarters with knowledge of actual backbone infrastructure. 

I'm having fun.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:06 AM, Adrian_D said:

You need a bigger garage. 

He does... maybe I should store it for him until he figures it out. 

Not that I would put it in the water, but I may go park it in the front yard and day drink! Always an option. 

On 3/24/2021 at 7:58 AM, ///M5 said:

Because my garage isn't big enough and to pull it in backwards I would have to move a couple workbenches and other shit that is on the other side of the boat.  New stall is slated to be complete erected in April so the number of in and outs won't be many.

Backwards?

I must be remembered the alpine summit you call a driveway differently.   I assumed you had to connect a cable to the boat from halfway up that cliff and crank her in!

On 3/26/2021 at 9:01 AM, ///M5 said:

Curious what about the video you like better.  I find the Pixel does everything I need for video....but haven't tried other options.

IPhone is way better. 

Its not even a contest at the moment. There are some very very slim instances where an android can create better media but its so rare and so far in-between that it doesn't matter. 

Without getting caught in the weeds, and I'm wiing if you do have a specific question, the iPhone is much more reliable.  It will, without question, create much much much much much much much(800 more times) more consistent media.  I'll hear you out on a Samsung whatever is newest, but it WILL take more work to get the same product for any type of shooting that would make sense. 

I am helping a buddy who is now getting into documentaries at a local media co-op with the goal to run it, and a friend doing car denial work and both of them were set up with an iPhone 11 Max.  They both got another phone so they can now only use the iPhone for filming.  The only time they use something else is with a lot of lighting and cameras that cost 3 times the price and lenses that cost more. 

If for nothing else Apple cheats on 2 things that no android is doing.  They ONLY use industry standard shit, and EVERY single media app gives iPhone preference in quality. Sucks to be anything else, but Apple spends a fuckload on what media industry can use more than anything else.   Consistent results that edge on the best quality available,  but also integrate the Standards that are important to the industry.  They work with media editing and publishing companies to ensure that their media plays nice. You have to spend 30-40% more time to overcome the basic inconsistent shooting in person.  As for editing?  Nah. 

Nope.

If you want to do social media, iPhone.  If you want to fake arge production media, iPhone. 

If you want to work 900% harder to have an arguably better end result that will still have limitations when distributing... android. 

On 3/26/2021 at 4:46 PM, ///M5 said:

Not nearly as secure. 

Sincerely not even close. Every day Google becomes more liability than tool to make things better. 

Rich text is not magic but android should catch up. The market is ready and I think BB even offered it to them for nothing. 

On 3/27/2021 at 7:21 AM, MKader17 said:

You are onto something but it has to do with the coding,  Dolby, and the standards that Apple follows. 

Great example is the video on the 11 Max and later. The lenses are so well matched and the way it encodes is bonkers. 

@///M5

This is for you too, usually Apple can actually "pull an elevator" with their processing power.  They are usually capable or ~50% higher specs from the things the part out. They under run the product(not batteries lol) and then focus on absurdly stable.  Then they cheat and get in on the backbone infrastructure.

I'm no fan boy, but they make their products for that and only that. 

You're not a big IG user and you don't make music videos Sean.  I help others complete those projects and not only can I say the iPhone works much better, in most cases android media is such a slow down its CHEEPER to grab a new iPhone or DSLR.