Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Might as well jump!

On 11/10/2021 at 11:55 AM, dem beats said:

Ok…..

I think I am gonna work on those maelstrom boxes.  Don’t want to think, just need help.  I don’t think I even have the TS parameters for these old 18” maelstrom-x.  Each sub is a single voice coil. 

Should I just seal up the boxes I have now, or should I design in a vent for the enclosure?

Right now each box is 24”x 54” x 27”

I may have to trim some of those measurements if the MDF got wet.  Right now they are just 2 C channels with 3 open sides.

I’m powering the pair of maelstroms with a PLX3102 from QSC. I don’t think I’ll be able to wire them to squeeze the full juice out of this amp but I got it for a song and it is better then the low end roll off on the other options at the time  

Throw out your ideas, might as well make it a group project!

:-D

Dig for TS and I would say more.  No idea how those would be sealed.  For home use?  Theater/games/rumble or music?

On 11/11/2021 at 6:57 PM, Tirefryr said:

I bought a toaster today

.mkeqkMI.jpg

Lol.  I can't say much else.

I realize the toaster is an appliance...I just can't do appliances.

On a not so happy note, we took a pre-emptive Covid test (no symptoms) before going to my parents house for Thanksgiving and my 10 year old has Covid.  I am stuck in reading research mode on what to eat/take/suppliment to keep him healthy as can be and the rest of us safe.  Non-vaxxed as that has only been an option for 2 weeks.  My respiratorial risky child was vaxxed just two months ago.  The other three of us tested ok.

Oh man, that really sucks. The wife went through COVID, while not a 10 year old I can share a bit of my experience and perspective.

In short: eat normal healthy foods, get good sleep and encourage him to play/move as much as he feels good (promoting heavy breathing will help him). Ideas would be kicking a soccer ball back and forth, playing catch, etc. If you have a room that has a door to the outside that would be a good "quarantive" room as it would allow him to go outside. I think the psychological stress of quarantine can create the most havoc. Vitamin and D3 were recommended by a doctor when my wife got COVID. Honestly, if it was me, I would probably just take on the risk in order to comfort him (hugs for sure, cuddling, etc.), if he feels bad.

Our story: The wife got COVID; had it for 2 nights before she got tested. None of us were vaccinated. Our little one was still breast feeding. My wife continued to breast feed. She stayed in our bedroom and I slept in our guest room and took care of the kids at night (including the breastfeeding baby). After 2 days of laying around she was more tired from laying around then the symptoms. so she started moving around a lot more and started to feel better much faster. After about 3 days we gave up on quarantining and just kept some relative distance in the house. I developed the same symptoms as her at one point, but 6 tests in 4 days all came back negative. The other little one never felt bad and we never tested her.

Praying for a short, low symptom response and a quick recovery for your little one!

I hope all get well soon.

Thanks guys.  He has been quarantined in his room, but eating super well.  It has been the first days below freezing and 15F at that so outside isn't so great :(  We all tested negative, the covid patient has no symptoms, but we are all exhibiting uber mild version of the symptoms albeit while testing negative.

Lots of video conferencing and remote gaming with his brother.

He normally gets an hour of screen time a day.  He has unlimited and I added a tv to his room.  Catering to him for whatever he wants.  Spoiled shit.  Just want him to stay as healthy as possible.

He is the only non-vaxxed body in the house....but ours are from May.  His brother just a month ago.

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

He normally gets an hour of screen time a day.  He has unlimited and I added a tv to his room.  Catering to him for whatever he wants.  Spoiled shit.  Just want him to stay as healthy as possible.

Brother, he needs it now. It'll keep him positive. My mom and step dad have had it and been vaxxed before getting it. She's a school teacher and has known kids who have gotten it.

Healthy diet, vitamins C and D3 (zinc is good too), lots of fluids, and exercise to tolerance are smart moves. Keep him positive, motivated, and mobile. You're doing everything right here.

Positive vibes for him!!

On 11/24/2021 at 6:21 PM, MKader17 said:

So, in true IHOP fashion, I'm considering selling my DSLR for a mirrorless to use a primary camera for zoom at my new remote job.

Talk me into jumping off the ledge?

Let's start with this, why go mirrorless to have an overpriced webcam when nobody seeing you will truly give a good goddamn? You can get a 4K webcam dirt cheap these days.

Happy late turkey day to everyone. Brought the gf of a few years home to meet the folks and my kiddo. While the kiddo didn't want to see much of me (14 and a volatile relationship due to mental gymnastics), it's been a decent visit thus far.

Did some nice black Friday shopping....got some new-old stock Directed audio (two Directed and one Viper) amps for a solid price, and more props for some photography work. Being back slightly has me wanting to move back, get a cheap loft building for a studio, and just to live off the VA and remote/photography jobs. It's a weird feeling this time around....

J

6 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Let's start with this, why go mirrorless to have an overpriced webcam when nobody seeing you will truly give a good goddamn? You can get a 4K webcam dirt cheap these days.

My buddy let me borrow his Logitech C922 Pro, which is considered a pretty good web cam. I set up my Canon 60D with a 50mm 1.4 and the difference, even in Zoom, is incredible. Depending on how long I'm on calls (which will be a lot) I'm worried I would burn out the 60D. The 50 looks great but has to be placed too far back in the office to be utilized full time, so I'm looking at something more like a 22/24 mm. I'll have to sacrifice some of that sweet sweet bokeh, but it is what it is. Also, I have to really light up my space to get great results on the webcam. On the DSLR I can only have my desk lamp, and natural light from a window and be just fine.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, MKader17 said:

So, in true IHOP fashion, I'm considering selling my DSLR for a mirrorless to use a primary camera for zoom at my new remote job.

Talk me into jumping off the ledge?

If you need more zoom get a zoomier lens?  My 6D is still better in the dark than most and it’s dirt cheep.  Always just use the right tool for the job.

That said, if work is subsidizing the cost…. Yes going mirrorless would make sense, but only for one reason.  The new lens format.  It will have a longer lifespan than my DSLR lenses. 

On 11/24/2021 at 6:02 PM, Tirefryr said:

Might as well jump!

Nothings holding him down. 

On 11/25/2021 at 4:30 PM, ///M5 said:

Dig for TS and I would say more.  No idea how those would be sealed.  For home use?  Theater/games/rumble or music?

Lol.  I can't say much else.

Home use.  I’ll work on those T/S.

Going in the theater with my Energy RC50s for the towers.  Energy’s matching center and bookshelf speakers for the rear.

On 11/25/2021 at 4:32 PM, ///M5 said:

On a not so happy note, we took a pre-emptive Covid test (no symptoms) before going to my parents house for Thanksgiving and my 10 year old has Covid.  I am stuck in reading research mode on what to eat/take/suppliment to keep him healthy as can be and the rest of us safe.  Non-vaxxed as that has only been an option for 2 weeks.  My respiratorial risky child was vaxxed just two months ago.  The other three of us tested ok.

Make him sleep.  Even if he is A-symptomatic. 

zinc, D, fluids.  

horsepaste and or antibodies are the fast pass. 

I’m gonna treat this like you would treat an audio question Sean.

It’s so close to impossible for you to not have COVID inside you and your family that I wouldn’t take that bet for a billion dollars.   The amount is so small that you cannot tell and neither can the type of test you used. Remember the microphone analogy?  Thanks again for that. I love learning. 

Every interaction that every virus cell has with your body is a chemical dice roll. That’s it.  

8 hours ago, MKader17 said:

My buddy let me borrow his Logitech C922 Pro, which is considered a pretty good web cam. I set up my Canon 60D with a 50mm 1.4 and the difference, even in Zoom, is incredible. Depending on how long I'm on calls (which will be a lot) I'm worried I would burn out the 60D. The 50 looks great but has to be placed too far back in the office to be utilized full time, so I'm looking at something more like a 22/24 mm. I'll have to sacrifice some of that sweet sweet bokeh, but it is what it is. Also, I have to really light up my space to get great results on the webcam. On the DSLR I can only have my desk lamp, and natural light from a window and be just fine.

I REALLY wish my 6D could be a web cam. 

so jealous bro!

I have a woofer tester if you'd like to borrow it.  It can measure small signal parameters.

19 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Brother, he needs it now. It'll keep him positive. My mom and step dad have had it and been vaxxed before getting it. She's a school teacher and has known kids who have gotten it.

Healthy diet, vitamins C and D3 (zinc is good too), lots of fluids, and exercise to tolerance are smart moves. Keep him positive, motivated, and mobile. You're doing everything right here.

Positive vibes for him!!

Got him out ripping around on the 4 wheeler today.  Went for a walk as well.

3 hours ago, dem beats said:

Make him sleep.  Even if he is A-symptomatic. 

zinc, D, fluids.  

horsepaste and or antibodies are the fast pass. 

I’m gonna treat this like you would treat an audio question Sean.

It’s so close to impossible for you to not have COVID inside you and your family that I wouldn’t take that bet for a billion dollars.   The amount is so small that you cannot tell and neither can the type of test you used. Remember the microphone analogy?  Thanks again for that. I love learning. 

Every interaction that every virus cell has with your body is a chemical dice roll. That’s it.  

We took a lab test on Wednesday night for Thursday.  Results didn't come in time for Thanksgiving so we took an instant test.  3 of us negative, 1 positive both times.  Stacking the error I assume the tests are right.  Either way with symptoms he has state his body did a killer job right away on it.  It has been 6 days since contracting and he looks and sounds great.  I am holding my braeth in saying that, but we are doing all we can.  Hanging out with him via Messenger right now in video and watching the Vikings game together.  

He had one sick day from school in kindergarten.  Never had anything after.  Plays soccer 5 days a week on the top team in a 4000 kid school so he is fit.  Still stuffing him with a variety of killer nutrition.

19 hours ago, Godsmack said:

It's all about the glass.  I want bokeh as it makes it WAY harder for people to not just like what you have to say.  Seriously the biggest difference you can make when interacting.  Contemplating selling the 70d and all my glass as well.

How did you use your 60d as  a webcam?  I have some interviews coming up and would like to use my 70d...