Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I have a woofer tester if you'd like to borrow it.  It can measure small signal parameters.

That's the easiest way.

....although for those drivers being close is probably ok.  Theater or music?  ie, 12hz rumble nuts or just music

On 11/26/2021 at 12:32 AM, ///M5 said:

On a not so happy note, we took a pre-emptive Covid test (no symptoms) before going to my parents house for Thanksgiving and my 10 year old has Covid.  I am stuck in reading research mode on what to eat/take/suppliment to keep him healthy as can be and the rest of us safe.  Non-vaxxed as that has only been an option for 2 weeks.  My respiratorial risky child was vaxxed just two months ago.  The other three of us tested ok.

Plenty of Vitamin C? 

On 11/28/2021 at 3:17 PM, Tirefryr said:

I have a woofer tester if you'd like to borrow it.  It can measure small signal parameters.

Might be the only way.  Thanks!  Johnny on the spot bro!

If I got the ohms and found only one set of terminals I would that be enough to confirm what version of maelstrom I have?  They only had 2 revisions I think. 

22 hours ago, ///M5 said:

That's the easiest way.

....although for those drivers being close is probably ok.  Theater or music?  ie, 12hz rumble nuts or just music

I want deep bass.  My frustration is the energy towers are not so great at deep musical bass.  

my velodyne is probably “loud” enough, it just sounds like trash unless I change it to the “jazz” setting and then the lows are so cut off it’s not what I wanted.  I never took time placing it around the room however.  

The velodyne will probably go to the PC or I’ll give it to someone who needs it.  I have an 18” fi Q that will go with the Martin Logan’s.  At least that’s the plan. 

Again deep bass for music vs video games and theater are two different things.  Also depends on the music.  A low tuned theater enclosure with that driver and you are look at tuning in the teens.  For music it could be in the 30's depending on what you listen to.

Short answer games and theater.

I even like my music in the theater room with the tower speakers. It has an energetic “almost live” feeling.  It’s more than good enough to hear Tim Reynolds fingers on the album he did with Dave Matthews if you’re not deafening.  It’s not as perfect as the JBLs but it’s better in this use case. The only thing I could imagine replacing the energy speakers with is something I make or if my budget is endless and I have to buy it not build it, probably some crazy Servo sub setup and probably a Genelic premade built in.  :nuts:

I have 2 giant subs with so much juice so I can a) have more placement options 

b) enhance the sweet spot and capitalize so I can dig LOW and sound good. 

How is the little man doing Sean?

This covid fucking sucks! My best friend got it and ended up with double lung pneumonia and was doing well, the only problem was when he was sleeping his O2 was dropping down too low. So they convinced him to go on a vent , unfortunately he went into cardiac arrest. 

If that is not enough I have 4 of my mechanics struggling with covid, one is in the hospital. I check on them daily, the best thing you can use a cell phone for with video.

I swear the ventilator is a death sentence.  Everyone I've hear that has been placed on it, has died.

On 11/28/2021 at 2:21 PM, dem beats said:

I REALLY wish my 6D could be a web cam. 

so jealous bro!

EOS web cam utility!

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

EOS web cam utility!

I’ll check again. I think mine is right before that became possible. How cool if I’m wrong  though!

Edited by dem beats

On 11/28/2021 at 5:53 PM, ///M5 said:

How did you use your 60d as  a webcam?  I have some interviews coming up and would like to use my 70d...

Canon released their EOS webcam utility sometime last year I believe.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility.

Should I be worried about a couple hours of my 60D doing that per day? I thought I may really be stressing the sensor.

If I don't have to worry, should I just buy a 24mm 2.8 and call it a day? Should allow me to get the camera close enough to not crowd the room

On 11/28/2021 at 6:36 AM, MKader17 said:

My buddy let me borrow his Logitech C922 Pro, which is considered a pretty good web cam. I set up my Canon 60D with a 50mm 1.4 and the difference, even in Zoom, is incredible. Depending on how long I'm on calls (which will be a lot) I'm worried I would burn out the 60D. The 50 looks great but has to be placed too far back in the office to be utilized full time, so I'm looking at something more like a 22/24 mm. I'll have to sacrifice some of that sweet sweet bokeh, but it is what it is. Also, I have to really light up my space to get great results on the webcam. On the DSLR I can only have my desk lamp, and natural light from a window and be just fine.

As Matt pointed out, this all comes down to how much work is kickking in for this.

I understand we all love overdoing anything we do, but this is an extreme beyond an extreme. That being said, I dig it.

J

On 11/28/2021 at 6:52 PM, ///M5 said:

Hanging out with him via Messenger right now in video and watching the Vikings game together.

If you need Sunday Ticket let me know and I'll text you my log in. Happy to ensure you guys can bond over football.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:28 PM, MKader17 said:

If I don't have to worry, should I just buy a 24mm 2.8 and call it a day? Should allow me to get the camera close enough to not crowd the room

That would be my choice unless work is fitting the bill 100%.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:18 PM, MKader17 said:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility.

Should I be worried about a couple hours of my 60D doing that per day? I thought I may really be stressing the sensor.

Probably nothing to worry about it will shut itself off if it gets too hot. 

It’s hours in the sensor, but…. It’s what you paid for.  It’s less stressful on the camera than an afternoon shooting in hot Texas sun.  I pinky promise. 

On 12/2/2021 at 10:58 PM, dem beats said:

Probably nothing to worry about it will shut itself off if it gets too hot. 

It’s hours in the sensor, but…. It’s what you paid for.  It’s less stressful on the camera than an afternoon shooting in hot Texas sun.  I pinky promise. 

It's still the equivalent of buying a brand new Shelby cobra to take the kids to school and back a mile down the road 'because it's faster' to me unless work is paying for it. Then game on.

J

Work is not footing the bill, but I would say it's not like buying the Cobra to take the kids to school. It's more like my realtor, who buys a certified pre-owned Range Rover. He could easily buy a new RAV4 for half the price, but there's definitely something nice about the Range Rover.

In the same vein, I'm going to be using this for a job that makes me money and has plenty of upside. For the first few months, this will be the only way some of my co-workers ever interact with me.

Also, I still would use the camera for, well, camera stuff. Family photos, etc. So I'm really justifying the extra cost with double use. That being said. If I can use the 60D and throw on the 24mm, which I've been wanting for a long while, that may be the ticket.

I also used my friends mirror less that does not have a view finder and there's no way I'm getting one without anymore, if I were to get one in the future.

On 11/30/2021 at 7:45 PM, nem said:

How is the little man doing Sean?

This covid fucking sucks! My best friend got it and ended up with double lung pneumonia and was doing well, the only problem was when he was sleeping his O2 was dropping down too low. So they convinced him to go on a vent , unfortunately he went into cardiac arrest. 

If that is not enough I have 4 of my mechanics struggling with covid, one is in the hospital. I check on them daily, the best thing you can use a cell phone for with video.

Holy shit.  Sorry.  My son never had a symptom.  None of us did.  We got lucky.  That is awful :(

On 12/1/2021 at 4:18 PM, MKader17 said:

Thanks.

w0GSKCC.jpg

PERFECT use for my old XSI.  I was going to give it away.  If it fries, fuck it.  Not supposed to work according to Canon but it does.

That is the 17-55 2.8.  17 is way too wide, my 50mm was too narrow....so this is it.  A lens that owes me nothing though so why not.  Is there a way to plug the camera in to charge?  First day I will use it will be tomorrow.  I have two batteries.  Curious to see how it fares.  

Used this body is worth $50 so that is what I'd be out....and for that I don't think I'd deal with selling it.

It does NOT work with my XT btw.