Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

On 8/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, Tirefryr said:

They must be towing light loads short distances, in which case a diesel would be pointless to begin with.   Plenty of data out there to show the impracticality of towing with a current electric vehicle.

Tows playgrounds to local parks and assembles them.  Heavy enough load he hated a regular pickup because it was sluggish around the city where people are maniacs I suppose.  

Saved him $700 a month in gas so made sense for his needs. 

On 8/31/2022 at 11:05 AM, MKader17 said:

Yeah, if you need to tow more than 100 miles at a time an electric vehicle is impractical at the moment.

He may do just under that but you can charge anywhere here in MN if you figure out your route. 

This is all in the city around here.  

On 8/31/2022 at 11:06 AM, MKader17 said:

We are potentially looking at a Navigator. Drove a 2019 and it is absolutely insane how nice and smooth they are.

Those are nice!

This job market is insane as of late. Something really needs to change.

On 10/7/2022 at 11:47 AM, dem beats said:

Those are nice!

Fun story, we ended up with a 2019 Expedition Limited for a crazy low price ($30,000). I knew the cam phasers were probably wearing out, but at that price I could eat $4000 in repairs and still be ahead. 

1 week later the check engine light comes on. Cam codes and cat converter. I take to the dealer (who had a 3 month 3K mile warranty on it). Turns out it needs the cam phasers and the catalytic converter replaced. Total price is about 5K. They are currently sending it down to there Ford dealer to perform the work. So it looks like it’s all going to work out. Only downside is I’m paying on a vehicle I can’t actually use at the moment. 

On 10/27/2022 at 12:31 PM, MKader17 said:

Fun story, we ended up with a 2019 Expedition Limited for a crazy low price ($30,000). I knew the cam phasers were probably wearing out, but at that price I could eat $4000 in repairs and still be ahead. 

1 week later the check engine light comes on. Cam codes and cat converter. I take to the dealer (who had a 3 month 3K mile warranty on it). Turns out it needs the cam phasers and the catalytic converter replaced. Total price is about 5K. They are currently sending it down to there Ford dealer to perform the work. So it looks like it’s all going to work out. Only downside is I’m paying on a vehicle I can’t actually use at the moment. 

How long to get it back? I know here in FL a lot of shops are having one hell of a time sourcing parts.

J

Had a loaner XC90 today, in a matte grey blue color.  Really nice car overall, rides much lighter than mine.

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Had a loaner XC90 today, in a matte grey blue color.  Really nice car overall, rides much lighter than mine.

Love the ride and feel of a Volvo. If I leave my Tundra I'd really consider one.

You couldn't give me a newer car.

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

You couldn't give me a newer car.

At this point in life, I have zero time to work on mine to keep them running.  So the 7 year old trusty that I have been driving everyday during this wheel bearing debacle on the IS300, has been keeping me going.

I've got 5 vehicles from '87-'05 and all require nothing more than a yearly oil change.  Just gotta pick the right vehicle.

Found some mold in the wall and under the shower, mostly from the previous owners not maintaining the shower.  Now I am in the midst of a totally unplanned bathroom remodel on top of everything else I have on me.

On 10/29/2022 at 3:04 PM, Godsmack said:

How long to get it back? I know here in FL a lot of shops are having one hell of a time sourcing parts.

J

It ended up taking about a week once it got to the dealer who actually did the work. We started off at the Chevrolet dealer I bought it from, then took it to a close dealer who assessed it. When the dealer realized it was going to be thousands in work, they opted to send it to their own dealer that's about 45 min away.

Fortunately, they covered everything and we got to fully test it out by towing our RV last weekend and everything was good to go!

On 11/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

Found some mold in the wall and under the shower, mostly from the previous owners not maintaining the shower.  Now I am in the midst of a totally unplanned bathroom remodel on top of everything else I have on me.

Is it that bad? 

Sure had been a while since I have posted here.

Holy shit has life gotten busy! It seems nobody wants to work any more.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:44 PM, nem said:

Is it that bad? 

Yeah, almost total tear out.  Not a good time in the slightest, but we are pushing through it.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:24 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

Yeah, almost total tear out.  Not a good time in the slightest, but we are pushing through it.

I have tools to do most everything.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:27 PM, nem said:

I have tools to do most everything.

What is your hourly rate? Hahaha

What’s the current recommendation for a diy wax/sealant/coating. Going to claybar, m105, m205 and seal the wife’s new vehicle. 

my black fire wet diamond is getting old and separating so if I’m going to spend the time I’ll get a new bottle of something to seal. 

not sure if I have the capacity/time to ceramic coat but would consider it. Don’t need the paint to be perfect just want to protect and make it easy to clean!

TEchology has come so far in that field that you just can't go wrong with anything anymore.  Your local auto parts store will  have whatever you need in the name brand stuff, while there are also a ton of smaller online suppliers as well.

. . . .  And my amps won't fit in my toaster.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:57 PM, Tirefryr said:

. . . .  And my amps won't fit in my toaster.

What????

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

What????

Tailgate is not deep enough.

On 12/3/2022 at 10:43 PM, mikel7829 said:

Hey guys!! Been a minute......

Hey what's up.