Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Crazy what a pair of hairdryers will do to a 4.4L German V8

Going to be crazy to see what it does to a shitty american v8

I'll take that cheap, easy to work on and get parts for American V8 over any European V8 every time.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B474U_UrwvNaY1RheVVpLUtveDQ&usp=sharing

Snuck a picture of a picture of me....when I was 6 in the middle of it.  Videos didn't seem to want to playback in Explorer for me, but fine in Chrome.  111 pics/videos so I am not embedding.

Only had one day, takes AT LEAST 2 to see everything.  Was raining literally ALL day so getting good shots was hard.

I mostly shot steam as that is what I was after, but whenever the opportunity for a cool sounding &/or looking gas was nearby I shot it too.  Other than the hit, miss tractors though non-steam just doesn't do much for me.

I've driven a couple of the Minneapolis engines and the trains (both scale & full size).  Think I might have to buy one though.  Damn do I miss that show.

Click on the first picture and you can scroll through.  If they are too dark turn up your brightness a notch.

Sort of bummed I only hit the go trigger 111 times :(  Shared them all with you though. 

And holy hell is it hard to find Steam Traction Engines for sale on the internet.  Not sure why face to face auction seems to be more commonplace.

OK, shooters, glass question...

Rifle is a Savage Model 12 Varmint VLP DBM in 22-250 trim with a 9 twist. Will be shooting some heavy varmint (45-55ga) for mid-long distance vaminting, 60 gr Nosler partition for deer within 150 yards (they are tuny here and I am a damn good shot), and upwards of 70 grain boats for 5-600 yard show off shit. All custom loads.

At this point I want to keep my glass right at $500. I can grab a Ziess Terra 4-12X42 or a Vortec Viper HST 4-16X44 in my range. The Ziess is a 1" tube and the Viper is a 30mm tube. I know the Ziess glass is better, but I like the magnification of the Vortec and everything about it is larger for more light.

Should I grab the Vortec for all it's benefits, or is the more entry level Ziess worth it? FWIW the Ziess is $50 cheaper. Eventually this scope will find it's way to my youngest son's .243 until I can save my play money for further upgrades on the rifle and either a better Ziess or Swarovski. I just need something fairly quickly so I can set up and get out shooting.

The way it explodes up a hill and through a turn that needs super slow entry is the most incredible.

It doesn't recognize inclines much.

Translation:

Eff you guys I go fast everywhere. Super speed space car mother fucker!

No pair, big single.  Once I go hairdryer I doubt I'll own a car without one.

You've never owned a car with a hair dryer?

No pair, big single.  Once I go hairdryer I doubt I'll own a car without one.

I've never added one.  Completely different result :)

b5189a1b70f3fc69d663d69cfa0146d9_zps3194

First cook with the HeaterMeter.... Sort of.... No automation yet, but fun as hell to have a TC at the grate.

Grill is reading 200 and the TC is reading 230.

Food probes aren't in the pork butt yet (7.81 lbs of pork butt to be precise) ,

My boss printed the damper tonight. Going to order the servo and fan this week and wire it up when I get back from travel this week.

The Viper is really really easy to use.

I always think about rifle optics in the order of durability first, usability second, light gathering third, and perfect optics last.

Edited by dem beats

And holy hell is it hard to find Steam Traction Engines for sale on the internet.  Not sure why face to face auction seems to be more commonplace.

Most of the people who know what about Steam Traction Engines usually don't know much about computers. :)

Most of the people who know what about Steam Traction Engines usually don't know much about computers. smile.png

Even old engineers know computers, just not the internet.

No pair, big single. Once I go hairdryer I doubt I'll own a car without one.

I've never added one. Completely different result :)

Didn't you turbo your SHO?

Crazy what a pair of hairdryers will do to a 4.4L German V8

Hair dryers make everything better

XW9z3Dc.jpg

I've never added one. Completely different result smile.png

Nope, Centrifugal 

The way it explodes up a hill and through a turn that needs super slow entry is the most incredible.

It doesn't recognize inclines much.

Translation:

Eff you guys I go fast everywhere. Super speed space car mother fucker!

I drive like an old woman..... Unless it's a turn.... Or onramp.... Or I gotta blow the doors off some punk.

OK, shooters, glass question...

Rifle is a Savage Model 12 Varmint VLP DBM in 22-250 trim with a 9 twist. Will be shooting some heavy varmint (45-55ga) for mid-long distance vaminting, 60 gr Nosler partition for deer within 150 yards (they are tuny here and I am a damn good shot), and upwards of 70 grain boats for 5-600 yard show off shit. All custom loads.

At this point I want to keep my glass right at $500. I can grab a Ziess Terra 4-12X42 or a Vortec Viper HST 4-16X44 in my range. The Ziess is a 1" tube and the Viper is a 30mm tube. I know the Ziess glass is better, but I like the magnification of the Vortec and everything about it is larger for more light.

Should I grab the Vortec for all it's benefits, or is the more entry level Ziess worth it? FWIW the Ziess is $50 cheaper. Eventually this scope will find it's way to my youngest son's .243 until I can save my play money for further upgrades on the rifle and either a better Ziess or Swarovski. I just need something fairly quickly so I can set up and get out shooting.

I have the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 and though 24x may be a bit excessive I bought it for the headroom, so at 24x it's not super sharp but I can still go out 16x and it's very clear and detailed versus what I presume (I could be wrong) the 4-16 model would be sorta crappy at 16x, but good at 12x.

I haven't tried much glass so I can't really compare or reference anything but I'm very pleased with the PST. I'm not sure about Zeiss's warranty but Vortex stands behind their product and does whatever needs to be done to keep their customers happy. I've read of people accidentally knocking over their rifles on concrete, cracking the glass, or over tightening their rings, cracking the glass, and Vortex covered it. I'm pretty sure they cover anything no questions asked. After using mine for a few months I randomly got a spot in the glass like some particle inside was knocked loose and fell on the lens, see here: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/p417x417/703992_4335691705231_52750418_o.jpg Vortex just sent me back a new unit a week later. Like I said Zeiss might have a killer warranty too, just something to consider.

Edited by ssh

I've never added one. Completely different result smile.png

Nope, Centrifugal

Close!

Watch the knife ride on Hong's knuckles. I have no idea how he feels confident using such a short blade doing this, I would be afraid I'd cut my knuckles. Mine is about an 1" taller, but my hands are also WAY bigger so that makes sense.

What he shows is really not all that hard. He is extremely good at it, I can be nearly as fast but my accuracy is shamed by his speed with it.

First two things anyone needs to learn when starting to cook. 1 - Knife skills. If you can't get your mise en place finished you can't cook, 2 - Appropriate use of Kosher salt.

If you nail those two you will instantly become better than 99.9999% of cooks including many who work "professionally"

*saved for later*