Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Some of those sockets are fun ones.  Don't see 32nds of an inch for sale anymore.  Obviously I don't use them either.

I am a huge fan of the screw bit adapter for the battery powered impact.  Had to have a couple sets since the one I need is regularly already on the work bench or in a container.

Speaking of, what do you use to keep track of lots of different nuts/bolts.

Right now I have 2 snowmobiles, my car, and a bunch of furniture in pieces.  Rotate through a caddy, an old espresso puck receptacle, a tin can with added mass that stands stable, a couple old tire wrapped ashtrays, to ziploc's when the project gets held up a bit.  I've thought about some Muskie boxes, but don't really like the idea of a flip lid.  

Engine and chassis disassembly normally end up with ziplocs labeled with what they came off from.  Box of those and a sharpie are key in the garage.  Even holding the ziplocs is obnoxious.  Have probably 4-5 other kitchen tupperware like things full of those.

I should really probably just finish one project at a time....but I've NEVER been able to do that.  

When I don't get "stuck" I am fine trudging along on whatever it is.  ULTRA frustrated right now that I am basically waiting for these: 

$(KGrHqEOKicE6YYb1mmYBOuw0HlJog~~60_35.J

Can't put the hood/plastics on until I get them...otherwise it has to come off.  I ordered them a week ago.  Tomorrow I'll rebuild the clutches and empty the oil reservoir.  Anyone want some Polaris Gold 2 stroke oil?  Have 2-3 quarts, lol.

I need a 1"x1"x 2.5"+ (if it is way longer I can trim it, but have some space) piece of tube that is boxed on the ends.  I want to rivet an oil caddy to my sled.  Would allow me to rivet from both sides and not have a rubbing surface.  I could get away with skinnier or slightly larger as well.  Can find all sorts of square tube, but none that is capped.  Considering it is to mount an $8 oil caddy I don't really want to pay someone to weld me something.

This is the second cluster headache this year. Cluster like at least.

Last time I got them I was 23-24 or so.

Speaking of, what do you use to keep track of lots of different nuts/bolts.

Right now I have 2 snowmobiles, my car, and a bunch of furniture in pieces.  Rotate through a caddy, an old espresso puck receptacle, a tin can with added mass that stands stable, a couple old tire wrapped ashtrays, to ziploc's when the project gets held up a bit.  I've thought about some Muskie boxes, but don't really like the idea of a flip lid.  

While working on a project some of the cheapo akro-mills stackable plastic bins.  For dedicated storage its the standard open front bulk bolt bin cabinets, 1/4-3/4" and 1/4-1/2" SHCS.  For smaller quantities such as stainless, set screws, self tapping, etc it is the steel hinged lid flat things from Fastenal.  

Never used the gear wrench sockets but have their wrenches and a ratcheting screwdriver set.  I don't seem to have a problem with them but don't like the fact they are imports.  

Interesting. I have a migraine this morning as well. Fucking can't see SHIT. No idea what a cluster headache is but assume it is what I have x10

Never used the gear wrench sockets but have their wrenches and a ratcheting screwdriver set.  I don't seem to have a problem with them but don't like the fact they are imports.

So what would you do then?

I think the 1/2" stuff is the least important in my box. Doesn't mean I don't want to buy some, just not spending $500 on SK for the 1/2". Willing to spend some dough for quality on the 1/4" & 3/8" though as what I have for those is awful. Gearwrench is still reasonable for 1/2" so....

When I don't get "stuck" I am fine trudging along on whatever it is.  ULTRA frustrated right now that I am basically waiting for these: 

$(KGrHqEOKicE6YYb1mmYBOuw0HlJog~~60_35.J

Can't put the hood/plastics on until I get them...otherwise it has to come off.  I ordered them a week ago.  Tomorrow I'll rebuild the clutches and empty the oil reservoir.  Anyone want some Polaris Gold 2 stroke oil?  Have 2-3 quarts, lol.

Found out why these aren't here yet. YAY government workers:

September 25, 2014 , 2:21 am

Departed USPS Facility

ANCHORAGE, AK 99530

Your item departed our USPS facility in ANCHORAGE, AK 99530 on September 25, 2014 at 2:21 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

September 24, 2014 , 4:48 pm

Arrived at USPS Facility

ANCHORAGE, AK 99530

September 23, 2014 , 3:31 am

Departed USPS Facility

AUSTIN, TX 78710

September 22, 2014 , 11:47 pm

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

AUSTIN, TX 78710

September 22, 2014 , 3:17 pm

Picked up by Request

CEDAR PARK, TX 78613

September 22, 2014 , 7:37 am

Shipping Label Created

CEDAR PARK, TX 78613

It seems Alaska is on the way from Texas to MN.

:mrspam:

Edited by Aaron Clinton

Friday!

Never used the gear wrench sockets but have their wrenches and a ratcheting screwdriver set. I don't seem to have a problem with them but don't like the fact they are imports.

The ratcheting mechanism in all your ratchets and ratcheting wrenches is imported. There is only one manufacturer in the U.S. who makes their own ratcheting mechanism and that's Cornwell. Others assemble in U.S., but do not fabricate.

Interesting. I have a migraine this morning as well. Fucking can't see SHIT. No idea what a cluster headache is but assume it is what I have x10

Yup. Often go by the term suicide headache. It's a pain that I can't describe. Many people will actually loose control of half their face like a stroke victim.

Before I knew they were a thing I called them lightning headaches.

Race cams are in now and all is buttoned up on the P5 and no oil leaks.  Back in business with the Sportwagen.  Neal helped out by helping out on some needed small parts.

For me the definitive marker for a cluster headache is it wakes me up.

Impossible to sleep.

A normal migraine I can take pills and sleep.

Also normal migraines never made me think that hitting my head on a wall might make it feel better.

:-)

Much better today. Sweating out my meds a bit though.

Gross.

Race cams are in now and all is buttoned up on the P5 and no oil leaks. Back in business with the Sportwagen. Neal helped out by helping out on some needed small parts.

That's awesome!

Never used the gear wrench sockets but have their wrenches and a ratcheting screwdriver set. I don't seem to have a problem with them but don't like the fact they are imports.

The ratcheting mechanism in all your ratchets and ratcheting wrenches is imported. There is only one manufacturer in the U.S. who makes their own ratcheting mechanism and that's Cornwell. Others assemble in U.S., but do not fabricate.

Interesting, I thought Armstrong was still made in the US entirely, but I just don't know anymore.  I've got a set of Armstrong ratchet wrenches that I love, but I sure didn't pay the new price for them.  

I haven't had anything wrong with the gearwrench stuff, but would prefer to have US stuff but it looks like it isn't hardly available anymore.  

So,

63 piece Gear wrench $105

1/4" to 1"

6mm to 22mm

or

49 piece SK Tool $155 (44 sockets, some extensions and wrench)

Standard Fractional Sockets: 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4", 13/16", 7/8"

Standard Deep Sockets: 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4", 13/16", 7/8"

Metric Standard: 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm

Metric Deep: 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm

And fuckign GW site won't list shit for details on what it includes.

I can assume the extras are

Deep 6,7,8, 20,21,22

Std 20,21,22

Deep 1/4", 5/16", 1"

Std 1"

That is 13. 44 + 13 is 57 so not sure what the other 6 are...

I am okay without the ones listed, but don't "need" the wrench and $50 is $50