Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Can you get me a deal on a skidsteer?

haha, probably not.

Well.... Good luck anyway.

Is that city a suburb of Chicago?

Also J if you haven't yet, read Dale Carnegie's lifetime plan for success.

It's 2 books." How to stop worrying and start living", and the other one is "how to make friends and influence people."

They are without a doubt the best 2 books anyone can read if they need a boost. If you want to sell stuff, read HTMFAIP over and over and over. Monthly. In fact I'm going to read it this weekend, as it's been way too long.

If your feeling lost/helpless read HTSWASL over and over.

Read both for sure, but refresh accordingly.

It's a life coach in book form. No bullshit or Jesus either.

Edited by dem beats

Took the job in Illinois. Starting on the 13th. might be tough to find an apartment in 2 weeks, yolo 

Awesome. It'll work itself out. :D

Took the job in Illinois. Starting on the 13th. might be tough to find an apartment in 2 weekso, yolo

Congrats, what will you be doing?

sound test technician at Caterpillar's proving grounds in Peoria Il.

I might actually see you professionally in the next year :)

Here is how you fix everything.

#1 calm down. Everything is better than ok. Bills are paid and you are not some fuckface.

#2 decide what you want, type it, or write it, and keep a copy close by. I have my short medium and long term goals in my briefcase. If you don't write it down and look at it, you probably won't see change.

#3 allow yourself baby steps. $10/hour is not beneath you. It a not $10/hour either. It's folding jeans in a retail setting while training to tell others to do it. The manager at the buckle from the Mall of Americal was grossing nearly $100k a year. Under him I made $3.25 per hour. I got the extra .25 per hour because I interviewed like a fucking champion and had a good resume. I busted my Ass, drank coffee and sold a fuckload of denim. I left as one of the top sales people in the company because I put just got up and did it. Paid attention to my mistakes, and always tried new ways to make it better. That $3.25/hour was my best paying job in both real dollars and experience until I started selling beds. $10/hour isn't beneath anyone.

#4 now that you have your goals written down and you have created momentum by doing something to make a bit of $$$, start planning steps and making your goals smaller. Start big, then whiddle them down into steps. You can't do this part until you have momentum though. You need reality of momentum and work to help you pace and decide your baby steps.

#5 start crossing off things as you do them. This will make you feel better than anything you have ever done. It is literally the strongest dopamine release you can give yourself.

yes to all of that

Shit. Bastards s just called me. 54 missing pieces

I don't know how soon you need it, but having used a myriad of tools and working at Sears, I will never again buy Craftsman.  Better can be had for your money, and what I buy now is all Gearwrench/KD tools.  To give you an idea, I recently re-purchased a set after mine was stolen.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/216-pc-SAEMetric-6-12-Pt-Mechanics-Tool-Set-Multi-Drive-P160848.aspx

Try the Craftsman shit, then try these.  I guarantee you'll never touch Craftsman again. 

To further that, I have purchased their (Gearwrench) new 120 tooth ratchets and they, IMO, are better than my Snap-On Dual 80s, and those are some of the best ratchets ever made.  I love Snap-On tools.  I purchase hand tools as you do knives, and I think you'll find much better quality and value in the Gearwrench? KD Tool stuff.

Gearwrench are decent, better than Crapsman, but IMO not nearly as nice as Snap-On, Mac, or Matco.

Other inexpensive notables are Kobalt and Husky.

Sean, It's hard for me to give advice about most off the shelf tools. I have used many tools, obviously, in my career, and understand why we pay a premium for professional level tools. Everything I possess and purchase is a professional grade tool. The majority of my hand tool lineup is Mac, but I do prefer Snap-On ratchets. Mac has a more affordable line of ratchets that is solid right now (I have bought a few versions of their ratchet sets) that are made in Italy. While not as strong as the Snap-Ons, they have smaller heads which makes them desirable in some situations. FWIW I have roughly 10 different versions of most ratchets available in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2"... roughly $5-6K in ratchets alone. I find myself typically reaching for my Snappy double 80s, 12" flex head 3/8 and my stubby 3/8. I like my Italian 16" 1/2" flex head from mac. I use a 6" 1/4" ratchet (again, the Itallian built) and my old school 4"1/4" Snap on round head.

I like Mac's sockets. All my deep, super deep and short sockets are Mac flank drives, but I prefer my Snap on semi-deeps for intermediate duties. I like the Snap-ons for this purpose because it fits nicely between the Mac deeps and standards. FWIW I do tend to crack my chrome Snappys more frequently than the Macs, but the Macs will tend to flare out over time and Snap-Ons just break.

As far as wrenches, I like the older MAC wrenches as their handles are fatter and somewhat squared. The Snap-Ons are rounded and tend to dig into my hands. However, Mac is now putting out rounded I-Beam wrenches that I am not a big fan of.

Ratcheting wrenches are difficult. Again, I like my older MACs as they fit my hand well, but I just broke a pin on my flex head 6 point 12MM MAC ratchet wrench and had to replace it. The new version is the I-beam, and my swivel pin is smaller in comparison. Plus it is shorter, and a 12 point. I am extremely disappointed. I do have some extra long gear wrench ratcheting wrenches with a 0 degree box end. Great wrenches, with tons of uses, but the gear sets are weak, and they are thin and uncomfortable with heavy pulling.

So for me to give real advice to suit your needs is nearly impossible. I have a ton of tools many of which are duplicate examples with a different manufacturer, and I vary what I use based on the job at hand, and the requirements of a specific job. I may bring 5 different 3/8 ratchets to a single intake manifold job, and I will bring them based on comfort first, then necessity.

I have roughly $250,000 worth of tools, and easily $150,000 of it is hand and specialty hand tools... and very, very little of it is stuff you will grab from a shelf in a store. I buy tools like you buy cooking utensils, searching for what is comfortable and what suits the job best, and tossing the initial investment price to the wind. While I wish I could provide insight for you, I am afraid that my suggestions will make you cringe when you see the price of what I suggest. I'll pay $300 for a set of 8-19MM 3/8 deep impact sockets without even blinking...

Touche.  I think I don't want to experience your level of tools as I don't need another expensive addiction.  I'm already bad enough with too many things.  And what I buy will never make me money, will definitely save me money and more importantly sanity.

My problem is as always scope creep.  I am not good at being okay with wondering what something better would have been like.  Then look at better and think the same things.  Reality is the Craftsman would be an upgrade over a great majority of what I have.  I just don't want to do that and then someday go aw fuck I "should have".

If I buy the GW I could get a complete set that basically fills out my Hansen trays.  Albeit somewhat stupid, it would make getting them all back at the end of a job more obvious which is worth more to me than a better tool.  Worst tool is the one you can't find and that sure as hell ain't the tools fault.

Spending the extra dough to buy SK over GW I can rationalize at 1/4" and 3/8" but not 1/2".  Too many other priorities atm.

Thanks for the big write up though.  Really put things into perspective.  I have a faberware pan budget for my tools so I should expect faberware and not restaurant weight copper Mauviel

Nope.  

You do such a good job at getting other people to expand their budget and spend money, you have to buy top end tools.  :)

If Ryan is okay with GW it is probably way better than I need.

Nope.  

You do such a good job at getting other people to expand their budget and spend money, you have to buy top end tools.  smile.png

I'm the cheapest bastard of you all.

There is a difference between the regular stuff and professional level tools.  

And now my curiosity is piqued.

Come on down. I'll hook you up with some hands on with cool tools and take you out to some shitty local restaurants.