Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

CAM00673_zps26d9603b.jpg

Uhhh! dude, hope everyone is ok.

sorry about the car, too.

No injuries, thank goodness!

Car was only $1800 and it's fully covered, so no big deal.  It's just a car anyways. 

She called me and told me she hit a sign, so I was expecting a ripped bumper cover and a sign bent.  Get there and see tracks into a pole, then into a sign, no damage to either, so I thought she got lucky and as I came up from the back, I saw the hood buckle then came around the front and saw the carnage.

J, and other cigar smokers...

I snagged up a Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema (6.5X50, in what I guess is a presidente roll), and really enjoyed it. So I have tried a few other Davidoff Nicaraguas, the Toro (54X5.5) and Robusto (5X50) both in a parejo roll.

I loved the Diadema, did not like the Toro, and felt the Robusto was OK, but there was something about it I did not like compared to the Diadema.

I understand that ring size affects the overall complexity of the cigar, and it alters how it needs to be smoked. A smaller ring means that you are burning more of the wrapper, compared to the filler and the wrapper is typically more flavorful. Also, a smaller ring requires a slower smoke with smaller puffs or the cigar will overheat which sours the smoke. Does the way it is rolled really affect it or was it a psychological thing? The Diadema and Robust should have the same overall profile, based on the ring size, but it didn't seem as nice to me.

Next, Ashtons... They may be next on my list. I just ordered a humidor and know about prepping it, so my cigar purchases will be ordered mid next week. I think I may want to try the Ashton ESG. It looks like the 22 year salute is a torpedo wrap, so would I be correct in assuming that the delivery should be the same as the Presidente wrap of the Davidoff Diadema? If you have tried both, how do they compare?

Finally, what other cigars would you recommend based on my love of the Davidoff Diadema? I have had a real Cuban Montecristo a few years ago (actually bought a few) and really enjoyed it on the initial light up, but over time it started tasting like shit. Now I have found out that I was smoking it too fast, so perhaps I might really have enjoyed it more if I was smoking it correctly. I would like to keep the stogies around $30 or less apiece.

Seth- first off congrats on CTI!! That is a very big accomplishment, and I am certain you will be a huge success!!!

As for your cigar question, many things effect the flavor and over all smoke. The ring guage of the stick, to how the tobacco was grown (and where), how it was cured, how accurately the blend recipe was followed, how tightly it was rolled, and lastly how long the cigar was stored and the humidity in the humidor.

As a cigar ages some of the oils leak into the plastic wrap. Quite often this brings forth some more subtle flavors than you would notice if it is fresh. As for your Davidoff question, I am truly not a fan of their cigars as they have often fallen apart on me, had burn runs, and had extremly inconsistant flavor. I honestly put them in the swisher sweet, white owl, and dutch master group- suitable only for rolling other things. That being said, have you tried out the Liga Privada, Kentucky Fire Cured, or Natural lines from Drew Estate? I also am a fan of Gurkha, Don Peppin (especially My Father's Cigar), or Alec Bradley? All are some fine sticks, and come in easily under 30 a stick.

One of the best things you can do to compair how a cigar's construction changes flavor is to try a few of the same blend in different styles. DE's Scid line makes a wafe (small box press) blonde (smaller guage stick) and 1300cc (tubo) that all share a similar blend but very different construction. Same with the Java line. They have a thick box press as well as a rolled (50 guage I believe) and are terrific. The thing to keep in mind is that simple things such as the meal before the cigar, beverage consumed with the cigar, and environment can change your enjoyment of the stick.

J

Gurkhas, huh?

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST284

I saw this sampler and steered clear, due to the price. Is it worth it?

Anything specific I should look for in the suggested cigar lines? I prefer a medium to mild smoke now.

Also, knowing how much Bill Cosby loves cigars, and that he prefers Ashtons, I wanted to grab one for this weekend from my local cigar shop.

I usually smoke with some bourbon... either on the rocks or in an old fashioned. The bourbon and stogie really compliment each other IMO.

The Centurian and the Beast are the only cigars I would smoke from that sampler.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/specials/you-pick/gurkha-gorge-fest

Much better deal from a much better company. The Make Me An Offer section is a great place to check out too. Some serious deals available, and you choose how much you want to lowball to start.

J

Those Gurkhas are huge, dude. 56-60 rings... don't you think that may be a bit big to suit my tastes? I am not questioning your suggestion, just wondering why you might suggest such big rings. Is the filler that much nicer than the Davidoff? For the second 5 I was leaning on the Elegance, the only listed in stock with a 50 ring. If you may suggest any other in stock sticks, I will give them a try. I am trying to learn about the hows and whys of the stogie... I may only smoke 1 a week, or 1 every other week, so I would like to know where to head as I don't want to tire of the hobby. I am more used to one a year or so, and really find myself enjoying what otherwise may be a very average cigar.

And thanks for the link. I like the prices better, and will happily deal with whomever you may suggest.

1 – Montecristo Classic Robusto (5” x 52)
1 – Romeo y Julieta Vintage #7.5 (6.25” x 54)
1 – Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5” x 49)
1 – Rocky Patel Connecticut Toro (6” x 52)
1 – Gurkha Beauty (6.5” x 56)
1 – Alec Bradley American Sun Grown Toro (6” x 50)
1 – Macanudo Café Hyde Park (5.5” x 49)
1 – Oliva Serie ‘O’ Robusto (5” x 50)
1 – Punch Pita (6.1” x  50)
1 – 5 Vegas Gold Torpedo (6” x 54)

? With a humidor for $40. That humidor would have a purpose, FWIW... a regift, so to speak. I am thinking of coupling that with the Gurkha gift set with the Elegance, and a box of 5 Ashton ESVs. For under $200 I can have a selection to try, and a decent humidor for a gift for a friend with little spare cash, and a penchant for cigars (thanks to me bringing him to the cigar shop the other day).

Seth, what I was saying before, get the biggest ring size that is comfortable for you.

Good filler is better than the most amazing wrapper and ok filler. The more filler, the more subtle nuance comes through. But again, this is only with good filler. In my little run down I mentioned I try to find all or high ligaro tobacco. This carries and enhances the wrapper.

Seth, what I was saying before, get the biggest ring size that is comfortable for you.

Good filler is better than the most amazing wrapper and ok filler. The more filler, the more subtle nuance comes through. But again, this is only with good filler. In my little run down I mentioned I try to find all or high ligaro tobacco. This carries and enhances the wrapper.

Sorry, I must have missed your post. I am gonna look back for it.

Seth, this is my personal fast format of cigar love. I don't know the Davidoff you speak of directly, but Nicaraguan is my favorite usually.

#1 I like wide ring size. The wider the better. That for me. Some like smaller, but I want as wide as I can comfortably smoke and means up to a 65 ring.

#2 I like high ligaro content. Especially if drinking a bourbon.

#3 I have not found a cigar better than the caine Daytona or F1 cigars unless I spend more than 2 times the amount. Even then, it's only better in some ways. Oliva does magic with the caine series.

Ashton spellbound and dreamweavers are great. They are not as well packed. It is a faster smoke then.

Diamond crown has some amazing cigars too. They are exceptional and subtle.

I do not like really dark cigars in general, nor do I like really light. It's brand specific however. Some black as night maduros are nicely flavored, where most are harsh. Since I already prefer the highest nicotine leaves from ligaro focused cigars I don't need the wrapper or filler to be blacked to get great flavor.

Maybe with a coffee I would like dark full ligaro cigars, but for me cigars are for drinks and me time or yard work. Maybe a celebration or special event too.

I could not find any Caine series by Oliva. Honestly, if you could recommend me a fine cigar from their lineup I would be stoked. These stack up at $14-18 less per stick than I have thus far been looking at/enjoyed. The Davidoff Nicaraguan Diadema is a $20 stick, and Ashton ESVs are $25 a stick. I would love to save that cash and stock up my Humidor.

Oliva

I think I am going to jump on the Gurkhan deal and the Ashton ESVs, and would love to round out my collection with a few other brands that prove to be solid... and inexpensive works awesome for me. It isn't easy for me to crack out a $20 stick every day or every other day, but I sure could accept tossing a $4-6 dollar stick out a few times a week with a nice $25 Ashton every other week or so.

Sorry Seth. I'm on my cell phone but those are my 2 faves.

The F is better after a big meal. Super high ligaro.

I get either local at $12 a stick and get 10% back. Or 10% off a box.

I need to buy online and shop but I like local for sampling.

Edited by dem beats

I also enjoy Diamond Crown Seth.

The mild ones are cappuccino notes. Really a treat.

They Julius Cesar and Maximus are more intense, but pleasant.

Is an upgrade from an i5 to i7 and 128gb to 256 gb worth $170?

$170 is a lot for 128gb of extra storage.  Speed you won't notice.

Thinking of grabbing a washer/dryer tomorrow.

Looks like LG/Kenmore or Samsung are the choices atm if I believe ANY of the free review sites.  Any insight I'm real open to.  Should have shopped before now but just remembered I had threatened to buy around now.  :Doh:

temp1241430058_zpsbbb20645.jpg

I had a nice Davidoff Diadema tonight, with an Old Fashioned (with double Oaked) and 2 4 oz Double Oaked Single Barrel on the rocks. What a beautiful combo. I look forward to trying some of the suggested stogies if you guys say the are better...

Looks like LG/Kenmore or Samsung are the choices atm if I believe ANY of the free review sites.  Any insight I'm real open to.  Should have shopped before now but just remembered I had threatened to buy around now.  Doh.gif

Steer clear of LG and Kenmore. LG is nearly impossible to have serviced, and Kenmore changes just enough so you must buy Kenmore/Sears parts. Samsung is decent, their quslity is nice but repair centers are harder to find.

I have a customer who owns an appliance repair shop (convenient appliance on Spring Garden street in Greensboro NC if you care to look/ask... his name is Doug), and he has stated this over and over again.

LG makes most brands any more. Honestly washers and dryers are easy to work on.

Comes down to features and preferences. When I bought mine if you remember I got a killer deal. They play music, shoot steam, and tell me when they are ill and I don't use many of the features.

Also keep in mind when it come to buying appliance parts Amazon is your friend. I just replaced the waste pump in mine and paid $17.00 for it rather that $72.00 from Sears parts online.

The pump did not burn up, but became to entangled with hair it wore through the housing locking the magnet up. I cleaned it up and have it as a spare.

I hate anything Kenmore. My first front loader was a Kenmore and the damn hub on the drum broke and the shitty seal design leaked and destroyed the bearing. So the mechanically minded guy I am I brought it to work and redesigned it.

Enough with the appliance garble, hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving.

Me well I worked today welding up an 8" blower shaft and turned the bearing journals back down to size, then had fun rebalancing the fan.

All in a day's work I say.

My LG washer is really nice. At the time is was the best direct drive system for the lowest price.

I have heard the Miel units are more gentle to clothes, but they are smaller. By a bunch.

Looks like LG/Kenmore or Samsung are the choices atm if I believe ANY of the free review sites.  Any insight I'm real open to.  Should have shopped before now but just remembered I had threatened to buy around now.  Doh.gif

Steer clear of LG and Kenmore. LG is nearly impossible to have serviced, and Kenmore changes just enough so you must buy Kenmore/Sears parts. Samsung is decent, their quslity is nice but repair centers are harder to find.

I have a customer who owns an appliance repair shop (convenient appliance on Spring Garden street in Greensboro NC if you care to look/ask... his name is Doug), and he has stated this over and over again.

Glad I asked.  The top rated washer by most of the review sites is either the LG or Kenmore (but the model that is fundamentally identical).  They knock the washing capability for dirt removal of the Samsung in comparison.

None of them can state jack shit about serviceabillty and/or reliability.  JD Powers (whoop de fucking doo) generally states them as the most reliable 3 as well.  Amusingly the Kenmore is way worse than the same LG though.  Perhaps since they sell it at Kmart their customers are washing dishes or dogs in them instead of clothes.

I was initially shying away from Samsung as I seem to be collecting more and more of their stuff.  

Btw, I am super impressed with my Electrolux ovens.  My turkey was worthy of a magazine on the outside and the inside was nearly perfect as well.  It isn't trivial to get a 24lb bird to cook evenly in a normal size home oven.