Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Seriously kicked out the flavor for the gravy as well.  Cracktastic.

Skin & gravy are the only two saving graces of the Thanksgiving meal.

Kenmore would be last place for me.

Based on when I got one 5 years ago. LG direct drive was the only DD system at the time on front loaders until you spent more than $1200. So I got the LG branded DD unit and it was $899 after tax and delivery. It should have been $1000 plus tax and delivery.

Warner Stellion. They matched home depot online, but their people are much nicer and more informed. In-laws knew the family from church.

Skin & gravy are the only two saving graces of the Thanksgiving meal.

We had a wild bird this year. Best turkey I have had in ages.

Btw, I am super impressed with my Electrolux ovens. My turkey was worthy of a magazine on the outside and the inside was nearly perfect as well. It isn't trivial to get a 24lb bird to cook evenly in a normal size home oven.

I do like Electrolux. A bit pricey, but very nice.

My LG washer is really nice. At the time is was the best direct drive system for the lowest price.

I have heard the Miel units are more gentle to clothes, but they are smaller. By a bunch.

Yours might be similar to mine.

temp1241430058_zpsbbb20645.jpg

I had a nice Davidoff Diadema tonight, with an Old Fashioned (with double Oaked) and 2 4 oz Double Oaked Single Barrel on the rocks. What a beautiful combo. I look forward to trying some of the suggested stogies if you guys say the are better...

Something to mention on stogies. I always get the blunt cap and I always use a punch now. I have a really nice cutter, and it sits 99% of the time. With large ring size a punch helps keep the diameter of the hole smaller. That helps the end stay cooler. I can use a cutter to achieve the same results but it's more work.

I don't like the torpedo end as I think it fucks with the draw. It changes more as the smoke burns and fills in the gaps with smoke, etc.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but the cigars I usually like are tighter packed. So having more consistent and cooler airflow is more of a concern to me than someone who likes a stogie with more air and less leaf.

My LG washer is really nice. At the time is was the best direct drive system for the lowest price.

I have heard the Miel units are more gentle to clothes, but they are smaller. By a bunch.

Great minds.

With any luck I can relax till 1am and then go home and get a little sleep. Get back up at 6 am and be on the road heading to the NY wine vineyards around Geneva.

I might get my bottle of Pinot Finish tomorrow.

Within the week at least. Woo hoo!!!

He has had company come over and they hastled him to open it. So bad he gift wrapped it so people wouldn't ask him questions.

:-)

With any luck I can relax till 1am and then go home and get a little sleep. Get back up at 6 am and be on the road heading to the NY wine vineyards around Geneva.

Sounds nice. I could go for a nice box of wine myself.

Great minds.

They gave me a killer deal on the matching chile pepper set.

I would have got that one for sure if I wasn't so cheep. Plain white for me.

No dryer, mine still works.

I need to build stands though. Moving clothes after leg day or back day..... Yeah, not fucking fun.

Sounds nice. I could go for a nice box of wine myself.

I am not a wine drinker by any means, Aaron can attest to that. It is something the wife wants to do and a nice weekend, I hope.

I would have got that one for sure if I wasn't so cheep. Plain white for me.

No dryer, mine still works.

I need to build stands though. Moving clothes after leg day or back day..... Yeah, not fucking fun.

I get everything and the delivered the heavy buggers to the basement.

Kenmore would be last place for me.

Based on when I got one 5 years ago. LG direct drive was the only DD system at the time on front loaders until you spent more than $1200. So I got the LG branded DD unit and it was $899 after tax and delivery. It should have been $1000 plus tax and delivery.

Warner Stellion. They matched home depot online, but their people are much nicer and more informed. In-laws knew the family from church.

The Kenmore is the LG.  Wouldn't look at other Kenmore's, just that one.  It is on a better sale than the LG WM8000hva it actually is.  Normally I feel the same.  Saving $100 though had me tempted until Seth responded.

I'd like the one that manufacturers their control boards in Malaysia/Korea not the ones from Thailand/Phillipines/China/Cambodia

The Electrolux gets great reviews as well, but in a washer for parts availability a bit more mainstream I think is not a bad idea.

I know this may sound weird, but you can look and see where most appliances were made. Some are made in Mexico and some are made in Korea. Also I have a Maytag microwave made by Electrolux.

I read the sMs article I think Sean. I just don't like Maytag. Go to a place that will match price.

Seth surprised me with the dislike of LG also.

If I needed one right now I would make sure they are all the most stout DD system. If they are, then I would base it all on capacity and the actual performance of the delicate cycle.

I need huge size for king blankets and love sack covers. I want delicate for my home washed sweaters, and the rare occasions I launder my own shirts.

Well, fawk, looks like none of my old amps fit under the seats of the new Jeep. NICE....

I wonder if I can find a narrow spare, that way I could keep my old amps.

Mount the tire on the roof?

J

No way, That's how it was when I bought the car. I don't like it. 

I'll just buy some PPI Ion amps. Guts look good, testing shows they do rated power. The 900.4 I have in the Miata is dead quiet. 

J, and other cigar smokers...

I snagged up a Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema (6.5X50, in what I guess is a presidente roll), and really enjoyed it. So I have tried a few other Davidoff Nicaraguas, the Toro (54X5.5) and Robusto (5X50) both in a parejo roll.

I loved the Diadema, did not like the Toro, and felt the Robusto was OK, but there was something about it I did not like compared to the Diadema.

I understand that ring size affects the overall complexity of the cigar, and it alters how it needs to be smoked. A smaller ring means that you are burning more of the wrapper, compared to the filler and the wrapper is typically more flavorful. Also, a smaller ring requires a slower smoke with smaller puffs or the cigar will overheat which sours the smoke. Does the way it is rolled really affect it or was it a psychological thing? The Diadema and Robust should have the same overall profile, based on the ring size, but it didn't seem as nice to me.

Next, Ashtons... They may be next on my list. I just ordered a humidor and know about prepping it, so my cigar purchases will be ordered mid next week. I think I may want to try the Ashton ESG. It looks like the 22 year salute is a torpedo wrap, so would I be correct in assuming that the delivery should be the same as the Presidente wrap of the Davidoff Diadema? If you have tried both, how do they compare?

Finally, what other cigars would you recommend based on my love of the Davidoff Diadema? I have had a real Cuban Montecristo a few years ago (actually bought a few) and really enjoyed it on the initial light up, but over time it started tasting like shit. Now I have found out that I was smoking it too fast, so perhaps I might really have enjoyed it more if I was smoking it correctly. I would like to keep the stogies around $30 or less apiece.

Seth- first off congrats on CTI!! That is a very big accomplishment, and I am certain you will be a huge success!!!

As for your cigar question, many things effect the flavor and over all smoke. The ring guage of the stick, to how the tobacco was grown (and where), how it was cured, how accurately the blend recipe was followed, how tightly it was rolled, and lastly how long the cigar was stored and the humidity in the humidor.

As a cigar ages some of the oils leak into the plastic wrap. Quite often this brings forth some more subtle flavors than you would notice if it is fresh. As for your Davidoff question, I am truly not a fan of their cigars as they have often fallen apart on me, had burn runs, and had extremly inconsistant flavor. I honestly put them in the swisher sweet, white owl, and dutch master group- suitable only for rolling other things. That being said, have you tried out the Liga Privada, Kentucky Fire Cured, or Natural lines from Drew Estate? I also am a fan of Gurkha, Don Peppin (especially My Father's Cigar), or Alec Bradley? All are some fine sticks, and come in easily under 30 a stick.

One of the best things you can do to compair how a cigar's construction changes flavor is to try a few of the same blend in different styles. DE's Scid line makes a wafe (small box press) blonde (smaller guage stick) and 1300cc (tubo) that all share a similar blend but very different construction. Same with the Java line. They have a thick box press as well as a rolled (50 guage I believe) and are terrific. The thing to keep in mind is that simple things such as the meal before the cigar, beverage consumed with the cigar, and environment can change your enjoyment of the stick.

J

Gurkhas, huh?

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST284

I saw this sampler and steered clear, due to the price. Is it worth it?

Anything specific I should look for in the suggested cigar lines? I prefer a medium to mild smoke now.

Also, knowing how much Bill Cosby loves cigars, and that he prefers Ashtons, I wanted to grab one for this weekend from my local cigar shop.

I usually smoke with some bourbon... either on the rocks or in an old fashioned. The bourbon and stogie really compliment each other IMO.

The Centurian and the Beast are the only cigars I would smoke from that sampler.http://www.cigarsinternational.com/specials/you-pick/gurkha-gorge-fest

Much better deal from a much better company. The Make Me An Offer section is a great place to check out too. Some serious deals available, and you choose how much you want to lowball to start.

J

Those Gurkhas are huge, dude. 56-60 rings... don't you think that may be a bit big to suit my tastes? I am not questioning your suggestion, just wondering why you might suggest such big rings. Is the filler that much nicer than the Davidoff? For the second 5 I was leaning on the Elegance, the only listed in stock with a 50 ring. If you may suggest any other in stock sticks, I will give them a try. I am trying to learn about the hows and whys of the stogie... I may only smoke 1 a week, or 1 every other week, so I would like to know where to head as I don't want to tire of the hobby. I am more used to one a year or so, and really find myself enjoying what otherwise may be a very average cigar.

And thanks for the link. I like the prices better, and will happily deal with whomever you may suggest.

Longer smoke and more of an opportunity for the flavor profile to come to life. I thouroughly enjoy a larger ring.

J

I am sick. I have a disease..... I am excited to work. I hope it's busy. I hope no one gets hurt, but I want madness.

I know this may sound weird, but you can look and see where most appliances were made. Some are made in Mexico and some are made in Korea. Also I have a Maytag microwave made by Electrolux.

I am exclusively concerned about the control boards as the mechanical stuff will either fail right away or last.  Electronics are a mess in shady countries.

Stoked... celebrating with some Double Oaked Single Barrel... and 2 cubes. Sorry, no old fashioneds with this small batch seasonal beverage,

I went to the liquor stores here, no dice on the Woodford Pinot finished sad.png

If you didn't get them day one, you won't get one. I missed them, but a buddy did snag a bottle. I got to taste it, and it was fantastic. They only released 1400 bottles, unfortunately.

They did have a masters collection Rye. 2 325ml with 2 different finishes.