Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I know this may sound weird, but you can look and see where most appliances were made. Some are made in Mexico and some are made in Korea. Also I have a Maytag microwave made by Electrolux.

I am exclusively concerned about the control boards as the mechanical stuff will either fail right away or last.  Electronics are a mess in shady countries.

Exactly the reason my parents held on to their Maytag washer for as long as they could. One of the last fully mechanical washers Maytag made, if memory serves.

The cheapo Roper set I got at Lowes was pretty damned reliable

Who wants to go into the distilling biz with me?

I want to make great booze for the rest of my life.

Checking in at the top of Seneca lake tonight. Spent the day stopping at every winery on the east side and tomorrow we will head south doing the same on the west side.

As usual I drank too much and ate too little. Funny how the cold has no bearing on you once you are shit faced.

They do make some very good cider up here.

As usual I drank too much and ate too little. Funny how the cold has no bearing on you once you are shit faced.

Because the alcohol dilates your blood vessels, so it makes you feel warmer than you actually are. Interestingly this reduces your body's ability to keep it's core temperature up and regulate that temperature....so while you "feel" warmer your body is actually colder and you are at a higher risk of effects like hypothermia.

I read the sMs article I think Sean. I just don't like Maytag. Go to a place that will match price.

Seth surprised me with the dislike of LG also.

If I needed one right now I would make sure they are all the most stout DD system. If they are, then I would base it all on capacity and the actual performance of the delicate cycle.

I need huge size for king blankets and love sack covers. I want delicate for my home washed sweaters, and the rare occasions I launder my own shirts.

Please bear in mind that the information I provided was second hand, but the source is fantastic. He has been in the appliance repair business for 30+ years. When I need appliance input, I call Doug.

Because the alcohol dilates your blood vessels, so it makes you feel warmer than you actually are. Interestingly this reduces your body's ability to keep it's core temperature up and regulate that temperature....so while you "feel" warmer your body is actually colder and you are at a higher risk of effects like hypothermia.

;)

J, and other cigar smokers...

I snagged up a Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema (6.5X50, in what I guess is a presidente roll), and really enjoyed it. So I have tried a few other Davidoff Nicaraguas, the Toro (54X5.5) and Robusto (5X50) both in a parejo roll.

I loved the Diadema, did not like the Toro, and felt the Robusto was OK, but there was something about it I did not like compared to the Diadema.

I understand that ring size affects the overall complexity of the cigar, and it alters how it needs to be smoked. A smaller ring means that you are burning more of the wrapper, compared to the filler and the wrapper is typically more flavorful. Also, a smaller ring requires a slower smoke with smaller puffs or the cigar will overheat which sours the smoke. Does the way it is rolled really affect it or was it a psychological thing? The Diadema and Robust should have the same overall profile, based on the ring size, but it didn't seem as nice to me.

Next, Ashtons... They may be next on my list. I just ordered a humidor and know about prepping it, so my cigar purchases will be ordered mid next week. I think I may want to try the Ashton ESG. It looks like the 22 year salute is a torpedo wrap, so would I be correct in assuming that the delivery should be the same as the Presidente wrap of the Davidoff Diadema? If you have tried both, how do they compare?

Finally, what other cigars would you recommend based on my love of the Davidoff Diadema? I have had a real Cuban Montecristo a few years ago (actually bought a few) and really enjoyed it on the initial light up, but over time it started tasting like shit. Now I have found out that I was smoking it too fast, so perhaps I might really have enjoyed it more if I was smoking it correctly. I would like to keep the stogies around $30 or less apiece.

Seth- first off congrats on CTI!! That is a very big accomplishment, and I am certain you will be a huge success!!!

As for your cigar question, many things effect the flavor and over all smoke. The ring guage of the stick, to how the tobacco was grown (and where), how it was cured, how accurately the blend recipe was followed, how tightly it was rolled, and lastly how long the cigar was stored and the humidity in the humidor.

As a cigar ages some of the oils leak into the plastic wrap. Quite often this brings forth some more subtle flavors than you would notice if it is fresh. As for your Davidoff question, I am truly not a fan of their cigars as they have often fallen apart on me, had burn runs, and had extremly inconsistant flavor. I honestly put them in the swisher sweet, white owl, and dutch master group- suitable only for rolling other things. That being said, have you tried out the Liga Privada, Kentucky Fire Cured, or Natural lines from Drew Estate? I also am a fan of Gurkha, Don Peppin (especially My Father's Cigar), or Alec Bradley? All are some fine sticks, and come in easily under 30 a stick.

One of the best things you can do to compair how a cigar's construction changes flavor is to try a few of the same blend in different styles. DE's Scid line makes a wafe (small box press) blonde (smaller guage stick) and 1300cc (tubo) that all share a similar blend but very different construction. Same with the Java line. They have a thick box press as well as a rolled (50 guage I believe) and are terrific. The thing to keep in mind is that simple things such as the meal before the cigar, beverage consumed with the cigar, and environment can change your enjoyment of the stick.

J

Gurkhas, huh?

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST284

I saw this sampler and steered clear, due to the price. Is it worth it?

Anything specific I should look for in the suggested cigar lines? I prefer a medium to mild smoke now.

Also, knowing how much Bill Cosby loves cigars, and that he prefers Ashtons, I wanted to grab one for this weekend from my local cigar shop.

I usually smoke with some bourbon... either on the rocks or in an old fashioned. The bourbon and stogie really compliment each other IMO.

The Centurian and the Beast are the only cigars I would smoke from that sampler.http://www.cigarsinternational.com/specials/you-pick/gurkha-gorge-fest

Much better deal from a much better company. The Make Me An Offer section is a great place to check out too. Some serious deals available, and you choose how much you want to lowball to start.

J

Those Gurkhas are huge, dude. 56-60 rings... don't you think that may be a bit big to suit my tastes? I am not questioning your suggestion, just wondering why you might suggest such big rings. Is the filler that much nicer than the Davidoff? For the second 5 I was leaning on the Elegance, the only listed in stock with a 50 ring. If you may suggest any other in stock sticks, I will give them a try. I am trying to learn about the hows and whys of the stogie... I may only smoke 1 a week, or 1 every other week, so I would like to know where to head as I don't want to tire of the hobby. I am more used to one a year or so, and really find myself enjoying what otherwise may be a very average cigar.

And thanks for the link. I like the prices better, and will happily deal with whomever you may suggest.

Longer smoke and more of an opportunity for the flavor profile to come to life. I thouroughly enjoy a larger ring.

J

I stopped at the stogie shop on the way home, and pounded the owner for information and suggestions. I did sit down with him and smoked a Centurian. It was decent, but a bit too strong for me. Keep in mind, I quit smoking cigs over a year ago, and just recently started back on the sticks. I usually smoke a stogie when I am on vacation, so I may have smoked one or two a year. I didn't really find it as complex as the Diademas. I also had to smoke it harder than I like. Phil said both were a result of the ring size. I am going to grab the sampler, just to see if I can get accustomed to the larger ring and the difference in smoking style, however. I do want to expand my understanding and enjoyment of the cigar.

He did make a few suggestions I took him up on. I asked about Ashtons, and he had a funny look, like he didn't think it would be a good fit. He asked what Ashtons I had considered, and I told him the ESG. His look lightened quite a bit, and he said it is a beautiful smoke that he feels I will like, but it is fairly expensive. I didn't think $25 was bad, but I told him I didn't mind paying for a good smoke. He gave me $5 off. I grabbed up the 24 year Salute. Off that he suggested another, less expensive Ashton, Symmetry. I snagged the Prestige, almost a Churchill style cigar, for $16. Finally he asked if I would be willing to dabble with different profiles. I said sure, so he suggested a nice, reasonably priced Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva. He did warn me that the profile would be significantly different from what I have been smoking, but I think I need to step outside my comfort zone, and for $8.50 I was game.

temp1672339770_zps82eb1180.jpg

I am sick. I have a disease..... I am excited to work. I hope it's busy. I hope no one gets hurt, but I want madness.

I love busy... but I am, for the most part, commission... and my bonuses are effectively based on how busy we are.

That is one thing I love about my job. I hate lazy workers. I have an amazing work ethic (not trying to pat myself on the back, I just bust ass and work hard all day long), and I abhor slackers. My career path is compensated by how much work you do, how hard you work. I don't have to work with lazy people, for the most part.

Stoked... celebrating with some Double Oaked Single Barrel... and 2 cubes. Sorry, no old fashioneds with this small batch seasonal beverage,

I went to the liquor stores here, no dice on the Woodford Pinot finished sad.png

If you didn't get them day one, you won't get one. I missed them, but a buddy did snag a bottle. I got to taste it, and it was fantastic. They only released 1400 bottles, unfortunately.

They did have a masters collection Rye. 2 325ml with 2 different finishes.

Holy fuck that is old! That was last year's release! The Pinot Noir was highly sought after. They did another wine barrel finish 7 years ago, and it was incredibly good from what I understood. Supposedly the Pinot Noir was a better bourbon. FWIW, it is a brilliant drink and well worth the $100 price tag. The Masters collection path has already been laid out through 2021, and there is no other wine finish planned in the collection to that point. Master Distiller, Chris Morris, is planning his retirement in 2023, so we have a very short window to get the ability to try another good wine finish from Woodford... and we have to wait quite a while for that window to be open.

I have thought about trying to make my own whiskey... but I don't have the patience to sit around and wait for 8 or 9 years to try it.

Checking in at the top of Seneca lake tonight. Spent the day stopping at every winery on the east side and tomorrow we will head south doing the same on the west side.

Up there at the finger lakes, eh? That sure is some beautiful country.

Fuck yeah. We had a kick ass cider mill not 10 minutes from my place in the Southtowns of Buffalo

I just finished the Arturo Fuente stick. I enjoyed it with an old fashioned. I think I really need to try stogies with an old fashioned. I love the blend of bourbon, orange bitter hints, and a good cigar.

The flavor was extremely nice. It was mild, and tasted of a bit of pepper. Honestly, it is different from the smooth, complex Davidoffs I have really enjoyed thus far. The A. Fuente was not as complex or rich as the Davidoff, but it was really a great flavor for an every day smoke... but... I hated the draw.

it was really tight. I understand that a perfecto is supposed to start with a snug draw, then open up... but it was hard to keep lit until I got past the restrictive tip. I felt the draw was too tight through the entire stick. I also found out what it means for a cigar to unravel. I had always assumed that it meant the cut end started to shred. I tend to get that as I like to chew the stick, and I always Guillotine. I don't like plugging or wedge cutting as the tar build up in the small opening is a turn off to me. But this stick started to boat, and then just opened up. It didn't split like it was dry, the wrapper just unwrapped! It was not a huge deal, but with all I have been learning about cigars (and believe me, I have been reading a shit ton on the cigar), this is a hand wrapped piece of art, and this is not acceptable.

As I said, it is an artform. Yes, growth, aging and wrapping it, but also the process of smoking it. I have taken to looking the stick over. Look for a smooth wrapper that is consistent. Ensure there are no bulges, and you want to see a little oil being excreted so you know the humidity is right. Then you roll it in between your first 2 fingers and thumb, with modest pressure. You feel for hard spots or bulges. The wrapper should not crack or split (in this case, the wrapper made a cracking sound, and I did see a small split in the wrapper). The entire stick felt tighter than the Davidoffs. But I didn't know what it meant. Next, smell it. With the pressure the smell should open up. Interestingly the smell really does give you an idea of the flavor of the stick. Even as green as I am, I had a rough idea of the flavor profile by smelling it after adding pressure to it.Now you cut the end. There are 3 real cuts for a cigar, the guillotine (also a scissor cut), the wedge (a V shaped cut meant to expand the surface area of a smaller cigar) and the plug (a razor sharp hole is pushed into the end of the cigar, opening up just a small circular hole). For small sticks, the wedge works well, as it opens up more tobacco surface for a good draw. But for most sticks, this creates an odd surface area that builds up tar that gets in the mouth, souring the flavor of the cigar rather early. The plug does the same thing. There is so little opening that tar forms quickly. Plus, because of how the stick is wrapped, you limit your draw to the filler, not the flavorful binder and wrapper of the cigar. You limit the complexity of flavors by restricting the draw to the center of the stick. The guillotine is the preferred method. The crown of the stick (where it starts to reduce in size) gets cut at a slight angle. You should see that slight roll. This allows you to drag off the entire width of the cigar, providing a great flavor. Also, since the cigar cut is so broad, you see considerably less unsavory tar build up in one location. Finally, light it. Use a non-sulfur match, or a cedar stick. Keep it away from the stick, as direct flame does alter flavor. roll the stogie in your hand, allowing the entire end to be lit evenly.

I am spending a ton of time researching the cigar, and I am growing to appreciate it more every day.

My job has zero correlation between work and pay. It's, odd.

Actually it is extremely common.

What do you do, dude? I know you have mentioned it, it just escapes me.

I have thought about trying to make my own whiskey... but I don't have the patience to sit around and wait for 8 or 9 years to try it.

I'll start drinking now!

Up there at the finger lakes, eh? That sure is some beautiful country.

Yes sir, back at again. It would be sweet to live along this lake. :)

Fuck yeah. We had a kick ass cider mill not 10 minutes from my place in the Southtowns of Buffalo

My favorite so far.

Actually it is extremely common.

What do you do, dude? I know you have mentioned it, it just escapes me.

I facilitate research at a university by building/designing what is needed. I have a weld/machine/fab /woodshop