Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

ie, if you have some idea I'll keep my eyes peeled as well. Some great shops up here.

Looking for a 4 or 5 string with active pickups, narrow (read not extra deep) neck, painted fretlines. Much like you, I tend to play more on feel. Needs to be comfortqble sitting to practice as my Dean flying V is not.

Not opposed to the right acoustic as well.

The fretless you found is a steal at 175 especially if the glide is right.

J

Are you only interested in painted lines? ie, are dots enough? Have you tried to use a footstool like classical guitarists with the Dean? Do you like the Dean neck?

The frets actually confuse me on a bass, but I played upright for so long and just grabbed an electric for when I couldn't travel wtih the upright. I love attempting to play old school funk or flea funk on the bass. I used to have a Fender Jazz Bass and a nice Peavey. At some point around 2000 I bought a Japanese Ibanez for dirt cheap which is all I have now. Still fun to pound on occasionally. Amazingly nice action for the $125 I paid for it lol

anyone have advice on what kind of cookware to use with those glasstop electric stoves? 

i grabbed some cheapo's from wally world when I moved in with the intention of buying better stuff later.

Depends on what you are cooking. Anything that is no stick or teflon coated should be thrown in the garbage. Not useful for any kind of cooking.

I'm a pretty shit cook but thats mostly due to lack of experience. Just want to get a few decent pans, a knife, and speed more time cooking rather than heating cans of soup in the microwave lol. 

Hell yea !! Let the redneck games begin!!!

">http://20150225_221120_zpseiirhbbe.jpg

anyone have advice on what kind of cookware to use with those glasstop electric stoves? 

i grabbed some cheapo's from wally world when I moved in with the intention of buying better stuff later.

Depends on what you are cooking. Anything that is no stick or teflon coated should be thrown in the garbage. Not useful for any kind of cooking.

I'm a pretty shit cook but thats mostly due to lack of experience. Just want to get a few decent pans, a knife, and speed more time cooking rather than heating cans of soup in the microwave lol. 

Paula Deen!!

what do you cook or want to cook? That somewhat determines the pan.

Mostly I'd still figure out what you need and then shop Homegoods/TJ Maxx places for bargains. As a general rule I think All Clad from there is usually a reasonable thing to think about buying.

Mostly I'd still figure out what you need and then shop Homegoods/TJ Maxx places for bargains. As a general rule I think All Clad from there is usually a reasonable thing to think about buying.

i'll have to do some thinking about that. figured i'd start with the basics. Fry pan, sauce pan, maybe a wok for stir fry. 

What would be the best way to cook a steak? Sear then throw it in the oven?

Yes.

I have an awesome 14" non-stick frying pan and it works beautifully for everything I need it to.

i'll have to do some thinking about that. figured i'd start with the basics. Fry pan, sauce pan, maybe a wok for stir fry. 

A cast iron or stainless steel with copper/aluminum core works best for meats/proteins. Both work great on a glass cooktop. As far as non sticks, Anolon and Calphalon make decent pans for the price. They last 5 years opposed to 1-2 years of the super cheap non stick. 

The car is coming along like a champ jared and yes ASU is quite a party school. While they have great education, the ratio of whores to decent women is easily 3:1. BTW are you going on vacation this summer? I am planning a trip to NY the beginning of August and am considering swinging out to CO for a week as well.

Sean what model Soloist is it you are truly after? I found a few SL2H with the floyd rose tremolo and seymor duncan pickups with the neck thru design. Both are around 1200 and are listed on the tampa CL.

Not on much due to school and other commitments.

J

Thanks! Would have the steering done by now but its harvest week! Had to get up at 2 this morning just to get some wrench time in. lol

Gathered that about ASU after watching the "smashed" video's with Ivy.

Don't know about August just yet. Am heading to Disneyland for springbreak. Plan on hitting Lake Tahoe this summer, for the ropes course and some jet skiing! Need to make it up to Idaho at some point. Let me know when it gets closer, I would love to hang out.

Hell yea !! Let the redneck games begin!!!

">http://20150225_221120_zpseiirhbbe.jpg

Doughnut time!!!!

I found a Miata with some rear-end damage. A friend decides he wants parts (he also has a Miata), so we decided to rent a trailer and go there. If it's good, we buy it. If the sills are salvageable it would save me around $300 for new sills and the whole Miata costs $600. We'd have a lot of spares for that kind of money.

All is fine until I read the traffic law. The combined gross weight of the Jeep and trailer has to be under 8500#. The lightest trailer I could find to rent is 2600# and the Jeep is 5000#. Nice, legal. Then I read the fine print: between 7000 and 8500# I need to either get an addition to my license or take a course. Both cost the same and the course takes a week. So no 3-Miata pictures this weekend sad.png

Another thanks Mr sean, tasker with smart remote gave me everything I wanted and the remote app has a tasker plugin.

I found a Miata with some rear-end damage. A friend decides he wants parts (he also has a Miata), so we decided to rent a trailer and go there. If it's good, we buy it. If the sills are salvageable it would save me around $300 for new sills and the whole Miata costs $600. We'd have a lot of spares for that kind of money.

All is fine until I read the traffic law. The combined gross weight of the Jeep and trailer has to be under 8500#. The lightest trailer I could find to rent is 2600# and the Jeep is 5000#. Nice, legal. Then I read the fine print: between 7000 and 8500# I need to either get an addition to my license or take a course. Both cost the same and the course takes a week. So no 3-Miata pictures this weekend sad.png

Holy bureaucratic bullshit Batman!

8,500lbs for a vehicle and trailer sounds really, really, light.  

Find a farmer with one of the Fendt or similar tractors with a high speed road gear in it.  

Yes.

I have an awesome 14" non-stick frying pan and it works beautifully for everything I need it to.

I have an awesome 8" sub that works perfect for SPL comps.

A cast iron or stainless steel with copper/aluminum core works best for meats/proteins. Both work great on a glass cooktop. As far as non sticks, Anolon and Calphalon make decent pans for the price. They last 5 years opposed to 1-2 years of the super cheap non stick.
No aluminum (except for baking sheets where it doesn't matter)

No non-stick

For a wok, it is pretty hard with a glass top. For gas I use a $12 special from the Asian grocery. On a glass I have a Le Creuset cast iron wok, but that's a budget buster.

Another thanks Mr sean, tasker with smart remote gave me everything I wanted and the remote app has a tasker plugin.

Anytime. Tasker ROCKS.

Steak needs REALLY high heat and then not so much heat. Can do the opposite as well. Either a grill or stove top for the hot part and either a grill or oven for the low part. Make sure whatever pans you buy can go from stovetop to oven otherwise I would say that is also a useless pan.

Yes.

I have an awesome 8" sub that works perfect for SPL comps.

With a Pyramid power booster huh2.gif

Seriously though in pans, its best to describe what you want to cook and then it is easy.

That all being said I fundamentally use 3 pans. A 12" stainless fry pan, a 9" blue steel crepe pan (for eggs mostly), and a 10" (3-4L) stainless sauce pan with a lid.

A 12" is probably too big for an electric power wise. I have 22,000btu burners. MUCH of what I do in the fry pan is on HIGH.

Teflon you CANNOT use on anything above med-low. That defeats the purpose completely in cooking. I do have an All Clad no stick that I do use sometimes though. It's sole purpose is for reheating meals.

I also only have 1 use for a microwave and that is defrosting. My wife has a couple more since she uses it to reheat some food when I am not home (puke), she makes popcorn in it (decent use actually) and instant oatmeal (which I won't eat).

The only "slow cooker" in my household is the Big Green Egg. I do have a crock pot that I use for keeping things warm once made.

Best thing you can do for your cooking though is to buy Kosher salt and understand how to use it. Best thing you can do to make better meals is take a knife skills class. Heating the food is the easy part.

For knives I pretty much use a 12" French style CHef's knife for 99% of what I do. I happen to have a really ridiculous collection of knives that fundamentally are a waste of money.

DON'T go buy a 12", but a 10" and buy the one that is the most comfortable in your hands. I brought 10lbs of carrots into the Kitchen Window and julienned them all. Picked the one that felt the best. It was NOT the best cutting.

All that being said, I wish that the 12" MAC fit my hands better. It cuts fucking awesome and has a really easy stone sharpener available for its angle as IIRC Fiskers sells a scissors sharpener that happens to have the exact same angle as the knife.

You will need a paring knife as well although I do most of my paring work with teh 12" blade

I also only have 1 use for a microwave and that is defrosting. My wife has a couple more since she uses it to reheat some food when I am not home (puke), she makes popcorn in it (decent use actually) and instant oatmeal (which I won't eat).

What do you defrost in the microwave???? Dies you wife eat bagged popcorn? Of so, it is gross compared to making your own. We use a crappy old metal mixing bowl with a sheet of aluminum foil. It makes azing popcorn every time. I've also had better luck with oatmeal on the stove.

The wife and I use it a lot to reheat something like rice and then add the warmed on the stove food after. Sometimes we use it to soften butter quickly.