Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Also, there was a DSLR lens in F/2.8 that I recall you guys discussing as a 'should get' piece of glass. I am looking into new glass at the end of the semester, what size was it you guys were talking about again?

J

Sean against my better judgment I gave in to and had BK. Not a fan of fast food and that reminded me why.

Nitto's ordered! Can't wait to cut the Michelin tires off!

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/motivo-all-season-ultra-high-performance-tire/

Finally felt like putting the replacment Bilstein on.

- as for what we want to see out of your life, I'd kind of like a 'cooking with Sean' series. Little tips and tricks, and shit to make cooking at home simpler.

I'd be glad to help...but it is hard for me to dumb down things. I don't mean that in a mental way, but solely physical.

ie, if a dish that I do the prep work on for 15 minutes and it takes you 2 hours will you still make it?

Knife skills are the single most critical thing to learn in the kitchen. My friends regularly ask for a cooking class and I pretty much require they go to a knife skills class first, otherwise we spend all the time in teh world on prep and never get to cooking.

Mies en place is the first and always followed rule in cooking. If it takes forever to get there though you will get frustrated.

For instance, 2 Christmas's ago I made a 17 course meal for 14 people in 4 hours. I did do about 6 hours of prep probably.

These courses weren't one step dishes either. All pretty much required a sauce, a special plate etc.

Most people would have a hard time finishing two of the courses in the same period of time.

Also, there was a DSLR lens in F/2.8 that I recall you guys discussing as a 'should get' piece of glass. I am looking into new glass at the end of the semester, what size was it you guys were talking about again?

J

"Goto" lenses in everyone's bag should be (crop sizes listed):

17-55 2.8

50 1.4 (1.2 is even better)

70-200

2x extender

If you start with those you are golden. Matt would start with the 70-200, I'd start with the 17-55. He shoots headshots and portraits and I shoot things.

After that list, a 11-16 2.8 would be a good addition.

Beyond there you are looking at more primes.

Obviously all of the numbers are "flexible" I used the Canon ones.

J

If you shoot people you should invest in the cannon 2.8 70-200 USM ii. I'm sure Nikon offers something similar. I will say though that the Canon version is the absolute best in the biz.

I would add a 24-70 to Sean's list if you shoot more people than things. That is my only non Canon lens actually. I'm still on the fence for that decision. I saved a $600 or more at the time of purchase, got some VR but lost AF SPEED.

Decided on the cheap option for wheels. As pretty much always the wallet won out. TBSS reproductions in 24" polished. Going to be wearing 305/35/24's at all four corners.

Eff Yeah!

I would have done the same, but I always flip when I see what people pay for wheels.

I shoot hand held and consume a ton of caffeine so I feel I made a good choice. Sometimes I do feel a hair faster AF could get me more shots....

The reality though is the 2.8 70-200 usm is ii is unbeatable for wildlife, kids, portraits, concerts, headshots.... Basically anything other than wide shots. The 24-70 is for group photos that are arranged or when I can't back up far enough.

Like the wedding in Italy. I figured the VR from Tamron would buy me more stops in the dark lit church and such. The wide pig was also something that was needed. The 1.2 was not as useful in Italy, but would have been for Paris.

The 50mm 1.2 and the 70-200 make up almost 75% of the shots on my body now however.

:-)

I live pretty overly cautious FDA in my fridge.

My guess is you've broken a bunch of the rules.

Storage ONLY at under 40F or over 140F

Transport in less than an hour, much less without precautions

Freeze/cook immediately

Refridgerate for up to 4 days

Sure there are more. I have no problem at 5-7 days but I am very careful with my fridge. Messy as hell, but the temps are right and warm shit never goes in.

So you let stuff get to room temp before you put it in the fridge? 140 to room temp is probably more than an hour for a big cut of meat.

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/motivo-all-season-ultra-high-performance-tire/

I'm about to order some 305 35 24 Nitto 420's myself smile.png

You will have to let me know what you think of them in the snow.

Time to do a brake job on the new Jeep BUT...I have the bad caliper design. While browsing ebay for the good calipers, ebay suggestions shows some Mercedes 4-piston calipers. 10 minutes later I spend $50 for 2 S-Class 4-piston calipers, made by Brembo. They need bigger rotors, which fit perfectly from a newer Grand Cherokee. S-class pads + new GC rotors are the same price as rotors + pads for the better designed calipers. Not to mention the better designed calipers are more expensive. Yay better brakes biggrin.png

That is one beautiful thing about jeeps, parts are abundant.  Good score!

Time to do a brake job on the new Jeep BUT...I have the bad caliper design. While browsing ebay for the good calipers, ebay suggestions shows some Mercedes 4-piston calipers. 10 minutes later I spend $50 for 2 S-Class 4-piston calipers, made by Brembo. They need bigger rotors, which fit perfectly from a newer Grand Cherokee. S-class pads + new GC rotors are the same price as rotors + pads for the better designed calipers. Not to mention the better designed calipers are more expensive. Yay better brakes biggrin.png

That is one beautiful thing about jeeps, parts are abundant.  Good score!

And inexpensive. 

Time to do a brake job on the new Jeep BUT...I have the bad caliper design. While browsing ebay for the good calipers, ebay suggestions shows some Mercedes 4-piston calipers. 10 minutes later I spend $50 for 2 S-Class 4-piston calipers, made by Brembo. They need bigger rotors, which fit perfectly from a newer Grand Cherokee. S-class pads + new GC rotors are the same price as rotors + pads for the better designed calipers. Not to mention the better designed calipers are more expensive. Yay better brakes biggrin.png

That's Tits bro!

If I were to track Helga brakes would be something I would want more of.

She is a heavy girl.

Those look like some well mannered tyres! 

The problem in the tire world is as they gain popularity the price goes up. When they were first introduced the cost was $132.00 a tire, I got mine for $166.00 a tire.

I am told they are a kick ass performer on a car. We will see.

The slice is in the edge of the tread. Pretty much ruined a tyre with less than 500 miles on it. Doh.gif

11133723_866262830104171_569445013220205

11152351_866262823437505_176738872086849

Upon inspection I found the culprit to be a tap leftover from the manufacturing process. Didn't really need to roll the lip a whole lot. Bent the taps over, and did one pass for good measure.  

Those look like some well mannered tyres! 

The problem in the tire world is as they gain popularity the price goes up. When they were first introduced the cost was $132.00 a tire, I got mine for $166.00 a tire.

I am told they are a kick ass performer on a car. We will see.

Still cheaper than the BFG's. Do you know how the Nitto's wear? Or is this your first pair?

I am chomping at the bit to get started on the interior. At this point though is more productive to do the paint before I get to far. 

A test fit of the new back seat and side panels. 

10931180_854257764638011_503836001316917

21157_854257757971345_539142294877149385

Need to rebuild the door hindges and window regulators before anything. 

11062691_854257761304678_109593165601312

Found a Snap-on 24" breaker bar at my dads pawn shop. He only charged me 50 bucks for it. 

11102936_865393080191146_806277286319341

10995568_865393076857813_256976379412043