Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I would add a 24-70 to Sean's list if you shoot more people than things. That is my only non Canon lens actually. I'm still on the fence for that decision. I saved a $600 or more at the time of purchase, got some VR but lost AF SPEED.

24-70 is FF 17-55 smile.png

To me it depends on your body. If it is crop, you need the 17 as 24 will make some indoor stuff impossible.

Ha... I have the 16-24 or whatever. I forgot that there is a zoom that versatile in the crop sensor.

DOH!

As an add on to the body comment, sensor size makes a huge difference.

I have a crop and FF. For people, I always grab my FF. It's a better body with better low light performance.

When shooting my friend racing his sports bike, the crop helped a shit load. My 70-200 with extender became a 640 or some such flimflam.

Yep, low light is a FF friend. That and close ups. Long distance is the crops.

But what lens do you recommend for indoor close-ups of tattoos? I realize light and backdrop is a big part of it, I should be on the lower end of the number spectrum though correct?

50mm prime or macro prime.

Prime prime prime prime.

:-)

J-Road,

I'm finally on a computer and remember your music question at the same time.

After seeing others responses and what you are looking for; I don't think I have much to add.

Spotify is awesome, but it costs. I did get a 3 month premium membership for $0.99 and I enjoyed it, but I wasn't going to pay $8-$10 a month for it. One of my co-workers uses it and he absolutely loves it. But he's single so hes got the money :P

I usually casually listen or listen for a specific mood (work out, rap before I play basketball, calming music at work etc.)  Most of the time the Radio feature on Spotify or just normal Pandora is good enough for me, though getting rid of commercials would be awesome when listening to calming music. I also think that Spotify streaming is higher quality.

But what lens do you recommend for indoor close-ups of tattoos? I realize light and backdrop is a big part of it, I should be on the lower end of the number spectrum though correct?

50mm 1.4 for affordability.

I'd go test one. Easy to see if it will have enough reach and view as it is definitely a portrait style lens on a crop.

50mm 1.4 for affordability.

I'd go test one. Easy to see if it will have enough reach and view as it is definitely a portrait style lens on a crop.

50mm prime is hard to beat.

If you got oodles of cash get the 1.2 from Canon.

That lens give me 90° rubbery ones.

Really for what he is doing the 1.4 is adequate. DOF on the 1.4 is enough to where if eyes are in focus the ears are not. Going shorter is more artistic but at the cost of focus. Obviously for tat's I would assume an arm/leg is enough DOF which is dead nuts about the 1.4

IIRC, the 1.4 is like $250 and the 1.2 like $750

May be off, but for that you could get a 17-55 at the same time with the 1.4

I'd find someone else. do most of the prep work yourself and get a $3k paint job.

Your killing me Sean. My father said the same thing. Both people who's opinions I highly respect. So let me give some more insight into my reasoning before you cast your final stone. 

The biggest factor is the fact the mustang was designed poorly, and has alot of body flex. Any one of these cars I have seen painted without fully stripping to bare metal, have cracks in all the same places. This is the reason for the media blasting. I can do a chemical strip myself, but i will get to my reason for not doing that. I can do the dissemble and reassembly myself also. As far as the actual body work, yes I can do it myself. Hell I can even do the spray myself. This is not in question.

The other big factor is the car was W's gma's and is an ode to her. The car will never be sold. 

So onto my reasoning. I can do ALL the work myself. Would probably take me 1.5-2 times as long for two reasons. Is not my trade and i would not be efficient. Secondly I am a perfectionist and would over think EVERYTHING. Is a trait I am aware of and try to use to my advantage, but know I would still waste un-needed energy. Ok then I would be buying a bunch of tools I would only use once. Would be a learning curve the whole experience is about the ONLY plus I can see.

I am deathly sensitive to painting chemicals, As I was exposed to them too much as a child working for my father. (can you say child labor laws lol) And yes my dad values money more than just about anything. Charged me full price for a breaker bar. No, i'm not bagging on dad as he installed MAD work ethic into me. But we have different values.

Ok, so it takes me 400 hours, instead of his 200 hours. My theory on the relativity of time vs money is this. I can spend 400 hours doing the car or 200 hours tattooing. I make the same an hour as what I would pay the painter.  I value time WAAAAAY more than money. So why would I waste 200 extra hours of my time?

No need to answer, but how many hours will it take you to make $12,000 - $3,000 = $9,000 dollars.

At $45 cash (no taxes) it will achieve your 200 hour point.

Then the question becomes is your free time worth more or less than your work time.

The other difficulty with this is no matter what beyond the $3k it is money thrown away from a return on investment perspective. Even though my time is valuable I have a really hard time with throwing away money. I throw away time all the time.

Then as a perfectionist you have to decide your goals for the car. A perfect car you can't drive.

As for the media blasting question, hasn't anyone made reinforcements to remove the flex from the car to prevent the need? Even if those are weld in now is the time to add them...

About all I do is work Sean. I work 40 hrs a week tattoo'ing and could work ALL the hours my body can stand beyond that. I also work 20-40 hours a week gardening. Yes I make more money gardening then tattoo'ing. I hit the ground with my feet running most days and do not stop until 9-10 at night. So to answer your question, I honestly would be putting in about half the days (not hours) as the painter to reach the dollar sum. Not to mention I don't have alot of freetime.

As far as being a perfectionist, it would not stop me from using the car. Yes it will hurt alittle more that first few scratches, but thats about it.

As far as supports, I already welded in the subframe connectors and added all other possible bracing. 

Time vs money is a great topic in and of its self. I am getting to an age I realize the less shit I need, the less I have to work. Now just to minimize all the bullshit. Of course that requires reevaluating my needs and eliminating anything wasteful. (harder said than done with a family) Guess you could say I got wrapped up in lifes BS, woke up and realized I was just another sheep in the crowd, going through the motions. What a dis-attached, vague meaningless life 95% of the ppl around us are living. I am to the point i really just want to button up all the things I am committed and not take on anymore pointless projects. Get on to enjoying my time, and get out of the hamster wheel.

LIFE is a limited time engagement. I try pack it with as many meaningful experiences as possible. :)

I guess i see it like buying a brand new 65 mustang in 2015, for 25k. 

J-Road,

After seeing others responses and what you are looking for; I don't think I have much to add.

Spotify is awesome, but it costs. I did get a 3 month premium membership for $0.99 and I enjoyed it, but I wasn't going to pay $8-$10 a month for it. One of my co-workers uses it and he absolutely loves it. But he's single so hes got the money tongue.png

I usually casually listen or listen for a specific mood (work out, rap before I play basketball, calming music at work etc.)  Most of the time the Radio feature on Spotify or just normal Pandora is good enough for me, though getting rid of commercials would be awesome when listening to calming music. I also think that Spotify streaming is higher quality.

Thanks for you input Mike. 

What is a guy to do? I have bought most albums on cassette, then CD, and now I just end up buying downloads. Really tired of paying for the same music over and over. I own all the staples I listen too, but have tried holding off on buying a bunch of new stuff I have found myself listening to. So what is a guy to do to expand his media collection without spending more money? I was going to start a topic on the subject (and still may), but what do people collect their media on? Strictly phone and PC? Maybe a memory card? What will the next storage and listening experience be? 

Knowing what I do about Mustangs, and spending the first 13 years of my life in a body shop, I agree fully with your plan Jared. 

what is sean building? i am way too out of touch

oscar-mayer-wienermobile-rear-side-view.

Something similar to this, only lower and with an LS motor!

Oh shit!!! The weiner mobile!!!  Is it going to have the but fuck tranny everyone is talking about huh2.gif

J-Road,

Spotify is awesome, but it costs. I did get a 3 month premium membership for $0.99 and I enjoyed it, but I wasn't going to pay $8-$10 a month for it. One of my co-workers uses it and he absolutely loves it. But he's single so hes got the money tongue.png

What is a guy to do? I have bought most albums on cassette, then CD, and now I just end up buying downloads. Really tired of paying for the same music over and over. I own all the staples I listen too, but have tried holding off on buying a bunch of new stuff I have found myself listening to. So what is a guy to do to expand his media collection without spending more money? I was going to start a topic on the subject (and still may), but what do people collect their media on? Strictly phone and PC? Maybe a memory card? What will the next storage and listening experience be? 

I installed Plex (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200007567-Plex-Media-Server) on my computer so all my music is streamed to my phone and laptop no matter where I go.

As far as somewhere to listen to music for free, check out http://8tracks.com/, it has playlists so you won't be able to listen to albums, but you'll find new music.

Really for what he is doing the 1.4 is adequate. DOF on the 1.4 is enough to where if eyes are in focus the ears are not. Going shorter is more artistic but at the cost of focus. Obviously for tat's I would assume an arm/leg is enough DOF which is dead nuts about the 1.4

IIRC, the 1.4 is like $250 and the 1.2 like $750

May be off, but for that you could get a 17-55 at the same time with the 1.4

Lol

New the 1.4 is about $400 and the 1.2 $1300

The 1.8 would be enough and focus faster and is just as sharp and can be had for $50 if you shop.

It would be perfect and a price that makes it nearly "disposable".

;-)

J-Road,

I only buy CD's and then rip them. CD's go in a box.

Grooveshark will let you grab songs and play them in order. Not sure for how long.

Grooveshark will let you grab songs and play them in order. Not sure for how long.

That's what I use when I'm at home.

On the road it's Pandora.

I have a 4 mile daily commute and then the one day I drive a bunch I still just hit a station and go.

For the 2016 president election are you wanting to see a democrat or republican in office?