Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I actually give that book to all the managers that report to me, and most of my trainees.

Their willingness to read it and if they apply the info helps me gauge their interest in moving up in the company. It's obviously not even a metric we use to score people on. For me though if someone puts in the time to read it, I am more likely to spend time coaching them.

Don't forget Steven Covey books.

The definition of success is for each person to determine on their own. The thing is that opportunities are presented to us daily, we are just not always present to see them. If you are hung up thinking about tomorrow or yesterday, the opportunities in the present will pass you by. The ability to stay focused on the present is without parallel. Generally when somebody is stuck in a lull in life it is because they're not practicing this. The past is gone and the way we deal with the present will dictate the future. I will tell you "HOW" I do this. Approach each day being Honest, Open-minded and Willing. This is the "HOW". Be honest with yourself about what is working and what is not, be open-minded to suggestions, and be willing to follow through. The answers are all around us, it's just that ignorance is bliss AND we are not present. Is the same as how we call somebody that dresses nice, "dressing for success". Only this is being prepared for success on a cognitive level.

I equate everything to efficiency. An example would be laying bricks. If I take 12 motions or steps to lay one brick, and the guy next to me is doing it in four motions. Who is doing it more efficiently? This is why it is agonizingly painful for me to watch most people work. They do not understand the control points, and are like a monkey fucking a football. The lack of preparation and focus sabotage the execution. It's not their fault as ignorance is bliss. But if you know better there is no excuse.

Remember knowledge is knowing something, wisdom is knowing when to apply it. ;)

My point is be mentally prepared, by having ALL the tools you can to deal with any situation. Above ALL else stay open minded. Don't let your pride and ego trip you up. Be honest with yourself by admitting when you didn't know everything. Is the best way to be humble and learn.

Jared I am looking forward to the finished project and lots of pictures. 

I won't let you down my friend. :)

Working in a restaurant you do NOT put food in the fridge or freezer before cooled. I have seen the health inspector show up more than once and temp the food in the walk-in freezer. 

Can't say I have ever had a straight tomato and mayo sammich. I have eaten alot of avocado and tomato sandwiches though. Avocado seems to make a good mayo replacement IMO.

<--- grew up eating sandwich spread and miracle whip. Is about the most white trash food ever created. LMAO

J I am in the same boat as you timewise now. Weighing hiring a general contractor to gut my house or doing some work and hiring out the rest ala carte. Akin to the 3,6,12 k options

Part of me wants it done and done right but that may be 2x the cost. Hard to weigh what that means

Congrats on the cheerteam success

That's a tough one Sean. I tend to lose all motivation on a house at around the five-year mark. If I cannot personally do it myself by that time frame, then I consider hiring somebody else.

Had a couple designer/architects out this week. First step is a design. That I CANNOT do. smile.png

Then I'll bid it out, but I expect similarities to what you saw. Time/money evaluation is then the question. Pretty sure I'll do a hybrid, ie not the $3k solution but as damn close as I can get without creating a ton of extra work for me.

When I did my bathroom the plumber wanted $1500 to hook up some Pex. I paid $100 for all the material AND tools and did it myself. I ended up doing the entire bathroom room for $1500.

I also did the finish work but around here people aren't anal about the finish (though they should be) so there are some blemishes but it was cheep.

In the future I will probably pay someone to hang drywall, mud and tape. Those dudes are some high speed artists.

I could give a ton of imput. How old is the house? Is it build to modern building codes or is there funky stuff to deal with? How strict are your local building codes? How comfortable are you with doing the work yourself? Do you realistically have enough time to manage the project yourself? What is the overall goal with the house?

I am officially the father of a cheerleader!

Sweet! :)

About all I do is work Sean. I work 40 hrs a week tattoo'ing and could work ALL the hours my body can stand beyond that. I also work 20-40 hours a week gardening. Yes I make more money gardening then tattoo'ing. I hit the ground with my feet running most days and do not stop until 9-10 at night. So to answer your question, I honestly would be putting in about half the days (not hours) as the painter to reach the dollar sum. Not to mention I don't have alot of freetime.

As far as being a perfectionist, it would not stop me from using the car. Yes it will hurt alittle more that first few scratches, but thats about it.

As far as supports, I already welded in the subframe connectors and added all other possible bracing.

Time vs money is a great topic in and of its self. I am getting to an age I realize the less shit I need, the less I have to work. Now just to minimize all the bullshit. Of course that requires reevaluating my needs and eliminating anything wasteful. (harder said than done with a family) Guess you could say I got wrapped up in lifes BS, woke up and realized I was just another sheep in the crowd, going through the motions. What a dis-attached, vague meaningless life 95% of the ppl around us are living. I am to the point i really just want to button up all the things I am committed and not take on anymore pointless projects. Get on to enjoying my time, and get out of the hamster wheel.

LIFE is a limited time engagement. I try pack it with as many meaningful experiences as possible. :)

This is some of the most meaningful writing I have seen in a long time. Well said Jared.

Also makes me want to reevaluate things as well.

J

Wow, guess I went on a tyrant. Still pertinent to the discussion though. (Hadn't smoked yet to dull my senses)

J, you should always reevaluate life. Often if not daily.

I try to reevalute where i am in life a few times a year at the least. It usually happens when something significant occurs. The main issue is deciding what needs fixing, and what is good as it is.

J

What works for me is writing down my goals, plans and just general things I have to do or want to accomplish. I make the lists on my phone in the notepad. I can Get everything written down and out my head, then I can focus on one thing at a time. I reflect on the lists often. This helps me stay in touch with my short and long term goals. Also not being afraid to admit when something isn't important, or is not working anymore, and being about to cut my loses. Keeps life organized and is efficient.

I may try this out. Sounds effective as hell.

J

Reflecting on the lists helps me to prioritize what I am doing with my time. Hell, sometimes they just give me a perspective change, and thats all I need. When nothing else can change, then change your perspective is my motto. 

Writing down your wins, losses, encounters and goals is huge.

Review weekly. It's one of the most important rules you will learn.

If you haven't, read How to Win Friends and Influence People and How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. Both my Dale Carnegie, and usually found together called Dale Carnegie's Lifetime Plan For Success.

HTMFAIP is Easily the most important book I ever read.

Honestly I have you to thank for that train of thought Matt. :)

I tend to try to change my perspective when jothing else can change. Lately thats been harder to do than before.

I think I need to. Go pick these books up and have a read. The titles are enough to usually dissuade me as they sound like 'here let me help you get the sand out of your vagina' books honestly. With glowing reccomendations from people I respect, I am more than happy to give them an open minded read and see what I can pick up.

J

How to make friends and influence people is the penultimate for communication. It's the bible, Torah, Koran, dead sea scrolls, everything for how to interact with people.

How to Stop worrying and Start living is daily worship for the stressed.

I don't know the author Neal mentioned actually. I'll have to look it up, but Dale Carnegie was a wizard of an educator.

How to make friends and influence people is the penultimate for communication. It's the bible, Torah, Koran, dead sea scrolls, everything for how to interact with people.

I don't know the author Neal mentioned actually. I'll have to look it up, but Dale Carnegie was a wizard of an educator.

Great book so far Matt. I've only made it through 20 pages but can tell it is the knowledge I crave. I have always said that dealing with people is the hardest part of anything. This book seems like a great recipe for improvement in social skills. :)

http://www.yourcoach.be/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Dale-Carnegie-How-to-win-friends-and-influence-people.pdf

Great book so far Matt. I've only made it through 20 pages but can tell it is the knowledge I crave. I have always said that dealing with people is the hardest part of anything. This book seems like a great recipe for improvement in social skills. smile.png

http://www.yourcoach.be/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Dale-Carnegie-How-to-win-friends-and-influence-people.pdf

I love reading! Who is your favorite fiction author?

Right off the top of my head I would say either Steinbeck or Louis l'Amour.

Right off the top of my head I would say either Steinbeck or Louis l'Amour.

Never got into Louis l'Amour or the western thing much...My all time favorite is John Grisham read every book he has released multiple times...And Dean Koontz as well..

Some of Koontz shit tuns out retarded though...Or is just about like one of his other novels..

Or how he explains something looking like his view of street lights for 4 pages...