Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I almost had a catastrophic failure in one of my grow rooms this morning. They are sealed rooms, or as we call it CGE. (Closed grow environment) Every aspect of the environment is regulated and automated, but still requires constant monitoring. AnyWho I walked in and the AC unit was not working. Thank God I was there and it was a quick fix. Simple diagnostics determined that the power switch had failed. Since the AC is turned on by an external controller, the switch was not needed. Glad it was that, otherwise it would've been a whole new unit.

Shit man. How much had the temp gone up?

J

Actually was not bad, under 100.  Have had other failures before and walked into a 125 degree room. :Doh:

Considering the way most grow rooms are setup, thats not bad at all. I certainly would like to see it my next trip out there if possible.

J

Great knives, and honestly considering the craftsmanship, I expected a lot more.

If you don't have a custom knife made, do you save a good bit buying in person vs online?

J

I think mine was around $300-400.  Online in that grade of steel it is around $900.  This may have changed though.  Sort of an old school family as they've been doing it that for a LONG time.

What am I forgetting?

Touchscreen

Steering Wheel Controls

GPS

Electronic Crossover

Backup Camera

Bluetooth Audio

HD Radio

HP Tuner Front End

USB Burr Brown DAC

PC Itself

Obviously the "stereo" is in as I was listening to music all day while driving.  

I lied on the thermal noise, there is some but it isn't audible unless you are in the near field or the engine is off.

Blew my only 35a fuse too, lol.  None in town.  Doubt I'll stress a 30a though.

And J, you can get by with much cheaper knives.  I bought exclusively based on fit.  The MAC is cheaper.  There is a price point worth stepping into though.  Below that restaurant depot knives win.

Holy fuck, moths.  Like 20 on my window.  Good day spring!

It snowed 2 days ago.  Yeah, fuck me.

I could probably do three whole onions as fast as Gordon does one half even if you delete the commentary. He is going REALLY slow...but that is for the sake of the video.

Lol

Truth, even I'm faster.

Mayfly's are in full force here. The river is right next the interstate. Coated my window in minutes.

And J, you can get by with much cheaper knives.  I bought exclusively based on fit.  The MAC is cheaper.  There is a price point worth stepping into though.  Below that restaurant depot knives win.

What would you consider that price point?

Keep in mind I am a huge fan of Cutco, and Wustoff (spelling??) in the past. I won't be buying them for a few years unless something odd changes.

I still hate that buying is cheaper than renting down here,

J

Supper tonight!! doubled up on my heartburn pills dogs with 8 beers and Michael's homemade chili :) ">http://20150413_201916_zpsnnr6cq7e.jpg  ">http://20150413_201926_zpsgaabanbd.jpg

Because I am a dick:You can avoid the top cutting if you do the other diagonal, it's faster then and safer but this is easier:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGS067s0zoAs for the chili, you forgot the chile.  Chili powder is fucking retarded.  Read the ingredients.  Two major portions are cumin & peppers NEITHER should ever be used more than a few days from their whole state.  Even better if you can do it in hours.  Both also require a pre-roast before cooking.  Throw the store bought BS away.Now the burger.  Your pan was NOWHERE near hot enough.  You burn your steaks, but are afraid to cook burger?  For instance, when done browning dump the meat into another container.  When you look at the pan and go OH SHIT I've got 3 hours of scrubbing to do you've got it about right.  Now deglaze that pan with a liquid.  For what you made I like beer.  Homemade stock is never a bad choice.  If you didn't season (ie salt) your hamburger and EVERY layer of the chili you failed.Cheese.  Grate your own from something real, you lazy bastard.Looks to me like you also fucked up on the tomatoes.  Find the cheapest big can of San Marzano's you can find.  Seriously.And lastly, stop buying fake ass hot dogs.  You just got part of a cow, why the fuck didn't you turn some of the less savory parts into hot dogs.  Great use for ground beast. And yes, I have problems with garbage fast food - the way I "helped" it would be far from that.
The beans are about perfect though.

Mayfly's are in full force here. The river is right next the interstate. Coated my window in minutes.

Fishing is already tough then, :(

I love seeing the fly hatch like that, but also know that gorging occurs and finding the bite is usually tough here.  We are like you though in that the world is lush and full of life here.

What would you consider that price point?

Keep in mind I am a huge fan of Cutco, and Wustoff (spelling??) in the past. I won't be buying them for a few years unless something odd changes.

I still hate that buying is cheaper than renting down here,

J

Cutco is absolute crap.  And yes, I have a set so this isn't from opinion but experience.  They are my "boat" and camping knives now.

Wusthoff has both good and bad knives.  Generally speaking they are really heavy and uncomfortable though so I am not a fan.

Price point is a hard one.  Idiotically most people buy a knife set for $200-300 if you spent $150 of that on a Chef's knife and then bought some other cheaper knives to go with it you'd be way better off.

P.S. In my cutting example of usage I was NOT including steak knives at the table, nor shit knives I use to open packages.

Supper tonight!! doubled up on my heartburn pills dogs with 8 beers and Michael's homemade chili smile.png ">http://20150413_201916_zpsnnr6cq7e.jpg  ">http://20150413_201926_zpsgaabanbd.jpg

Because I am a dick:You can avoid the top cutting if you do the other diagonal, it's faster then and safer but this is easier:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGS067s0zoAs for the chili, you forgot the chile.  Chili powder is fucking retarded.  Read the ingredients.  Two major portions are cumin & peppers NEITHER should ever be used more than a few days from their whole state.  Even better if you can do it in hours.  Both also require a pre-roast before cooking.  Throw the store bought BS away.Now the burger.  Your pan was NOWHERE near hot enough.  You burn your steaks, but are afraid to cook burger?  For instance, when done browning dump the meat into another container.  When you look at the pan and go OH SHIT I've got 3 hours of scrubbing to do you've got it about right.  Now deglaze that pan with a liquid.  For what you made I like beer.  Homemade stock is never a bad choice.  If you didn't season (ie salt) your hamburger and EVERY layer of the chili you failed.Cheese.  Grate your own from something real, you lazy bastard.Looks to me like you also fucked up on the tomatoes.  Find the cheapest big can of San Marzano's you can find.  Seriously.And lastly, stop buying fake ass hot dogs.  You just got part of a cow, why the fuck didn't you turn some of the less savory parts into hot dogs.  Great use for ground beast. And yes, I have problems with garbage fast food - the way I "helped" it would be far from that.
The beans are about perfect though.

There are no beans in Chili. :(

Actually I like beans in mine, but surely won't use canned ones.  My comment on their being no beans in chili is still correct.

I had chili for dinner to Mikey! This chili does not have ANY seasoning in it, not even salt and pepper. You would not know it by tasting it though. I used a habanero and a jalapeno for the bite and flavor. I browned the onions and bell peppers with the meat. And I love me some beans!! Mad source of protein. (it was late and the first meal of the day, so excuse the extra shitty pic)

10888767_868010483262739_325855115030226

Onion sliced huge so the wife can pick them out. She hates the texture, so it's leave them huge or mince the motherfuckers.

Hard to grow enough beans. Grew three last year and only got half a mason jar. Have a ton more going this year. I am doing the two sisters and using the corn as it's lattice.

It's nice to see you guys discuss cooking.  With my current lack of a relationship, so little time at home doing home like stuff aka cooking/cleaning, and no one else to really cook for, I have lost almost all motivation to cook. 

Fishing is already tough then, sad.png

I love seeing the fly hatch like that, but also know that gorging occurs and finding the bite is usually tough here.  We are like you though in that the world is lush and full of life here.

Ya, would be hard pressed to catch much unless your fly fishing. Even then can be tough.

It's nice to see you guys discuss cooking.  With my current lack of a relationship, so little time at home doing home like stuff aka cooking/cleaning, and no one else to really cook for, I have lost almost all motivation to cook. 

Hopefully you can go visit mom when you need a home cooked meal. 

Didn't you know, we renamed the hop Seans food network.

I lied on the thermal noise, there is some but it isn't audible unless you are in the near field or the engine is off.

Good to know. 

Good to know. 

Long term I will turn the gain down, but I think my phone tops out at .7v and that is with a 0dB signal.  The recordings I currently have on it are way weaker.

I just got done talking to another paint shop. He took one look at the car and didn't want anything to do with the job. He did give me a little insight and also a bunch of references. The process continues...