Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Matt, I appreciate the perspective, but I think our situations are very different. 2 dogs is a lot like 2 kids, There are twice the limbs and twice the personality. Any extra room is a plus and 2 dogs in one back seat is not comfortable for one of the dogs. The volume of occupancy is irrelevant because each occupant requires its own personal space.

Also, as I stated in my previous post. This will be a vehicle that will last into the first child. So there will be 3 and the dogs; potentially for road trips as well.

[url=http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=55441&endYear=2016&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&maxPrice=24000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=[bMW[][3_SERIES[]]]&vehicleStyleCodes=WAGON&modelCode1=3_SERIES&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=0&makeCode1=BMW&startYear=2008&maxMileage=45000&searchRadius=0&minPrice=15000&listingId=390194780&Log=0]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=55441&endYear=2016&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&maxPrice=24000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=[bMW[][3_SERIES[]]]&vehicleStyleCodes=WAGON&modelCode1=3_SERIES&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=0&makeCode1=BMW&startYear=2008&maxMileage=45000&searchRadius=0&minPrice=15000&listingId=390194780&Log=0

Seriously, do it. Forgot they were still the simple bombproof 2.8.

Here's a better pic than in the link. Tons of these in your price range.

DSC_0006_013.JPG

AWD where you live is a waste of money. Grab some el cheapo wheels and snow tires for $1500 instead. Puts you at about $20 with negotiating.

Agreed on AWD. The wife does not drive in the snow and I usually drive the truck if needed. 

The wagon idea will not work for us. It does now, but it won't later.

Sean, in your original post you recommended a SRX, CX-5 and XC60.

What reasons made you choose those?The XC60 is a really nice rig. Made the list for obvious reasons. The SRX is actually nice as well. If a wagon won't work though it won't either....but of course EVERYTHING on your list is a wagon. Rav4/CRX have zero more space than a 3 series wagon. Sure you can stack shit higher, but that never works.

Back to the list. You opted to peak at such boring cars as the CRX and Rav4 which IMO are worse than minivans. Figure the CX-5 which I found boring as hell might seem exciting to you. I couldn't deal with the interiors on the CRX or Rav for 10 minutes more or less owning one.

I value driving dynamics though so it is hard for me to even contemplate the reasoning behind anything you are looking at. I mean seriously, if you buy a car that equivalently handles like a minivan but it is teeny why not just get the damn minivan now?

Had a BMW 216d in Germany as a rental. With many bursts to over 100mph it still averaged about 75mpg. Really confusing these cars aren't sold here. And yes, FUCK YOU California.

You wouldn't put a 60 pound sub behind your child without bolting it down,unless you strap the dogs down you need some kind of barrier.

You won't fart near your baby without crying. Seriously you CANNOT do what you propose and once you have a kid you'll be shocked you even proposed it. Embarrassed in fact.

So that being said you should buy something now that will cost you the least amount of money when you sell it in 1-2 years to buy something that works for the growing family.

That and you need a packing lesson.

I can live for 3 weeks in a 20" carry-on EASY

Sadness seems to have filled my daughter's senior class. Around 3 am this morning one of her best friends and boyfriend were killed in a car accident. I was lucky enough to know this young lady and she spent many weekends with us over the years. While death is tragic and I feel so very sorry for the parents I am so thankful my daughter choose to come home last night after the ball rather than go out with her friends. 

I am terribly sorry. :(

2015-Mercedes-Benz-C63-AMG-Wagon-3.png

This Sean?

Thats the super tits wagon.  I want one bad and they barely sell any.

That and you need a packing lesson.I can live for 3 weeks in a 20" carry-on EASY

Tips or links to? I'd love to be able to do this for me and the girl.

J

I always pack a carry on and maybe an external pair of boots or something if I'm not flying (otherwise I wear them)

The wife normally packs 2 bags, but we also have a Kennel, dog bag, dog food, normally some kind of gifts, returning a cooler, etc... We try to make the most of a trip to and form home.

As of now, we pack it all in the back, which I'd say is pretty good for what we have.

Also, thanks and thanks guys.

I'll relay the message back to the wife.

If we do the buy a car for a couple years and sell it thing, I'll probably end up backing the budget down. Though, if I can find something i'm confident in selling in a few years with minimal depreciation I'd be okay too.

Just remember don't buy new!!!!

J

Also Sean, I think it is hilarious that you found literally the only 328 wagon under $22K.

That and you need a packing lesson.I can live for 3 weeks in a 20" carry-on EASY

Tips or links to? I'd love to be able to do this for me and the girl.

J

The biggest tip possible is pack everything that you need, but NOTHING you won't use.

Just remember don't buy new!!!!

J

Not a chance. I think I'm confusing the sales guys with telling them I will not be financing.

Sometimes its cheaper to finance then pay off in 3 months or whenever is the first allowable time.  

Sometimes its cheaper to finance then pay off in 3 months or whenever is the first allowable time.  

It probably is in some situations, but I really don't want to play that game.

I also bet you 75+% of people end up buying a more expensive car, even if they paid it off in the shortest term possible

I've got shitty credit (650), but I refuse to finance unless needed. I was going to buy a new Mustang,but between the ridiculous price and the 9% interest rate, they pretty much unsell me on anything.

Months if you have access to laundry services. ;)

I've got shitty credit (650), but I refuse to finance unless needed. I was going to buy a new Mustang,but between the ridiculous price and the 9% interest rate, they pretty much unsell me on anything.

Cash for everything unless necessary, IMO.

Disclaimer: you do need credit for some things. My sister had to sign the mortgage loan papers because her husband has zero credit. None. Zero. Zip. Oh and she almost had to postpone the wedding because he had three outstanding warrants for unpaid traffic tickets. Which she paid for.

Edited by Penguin4x4

You wouldn't put a 60 pound sub behind your child without bolting it down,unless you strap the dogs down you need some kind of barrier.

You won't fart near your baby without crying. Seriously you CANNOT do what you propose and once you have a kid you'll be shocked you even proposed it. Embarrassed in fact.

What did I propose that was wrong?

I'm with you on the 3 wagon, or bite the bullet and get a big Ass SUV. Escalade, navi, sexpedition, etc.

Or like you said, buy something until the symbiots arrive.

Holy Fuck!?!!!!!? 9%

I shit a brick of diamonds thinking about it.

Fucking christ man.

J