Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I assume you have the Weather beater type?

I heard the nubs on the bottom can scratch the plastic, any concerns?

My mom did my cut in without tape, she's damn good at it. I was rolling the walls and the paint wet looks the same color as the current wall color so it really made it a pain to tell if you're getting good coverage. Sure enough, after it dried and darkened up I could see white spots where the paint didn't get into the texture. The roller I was using was cheap and didn't have long enough fibers on it so it was pretty much just rolling across the surface of the texture. I had to re-roll 3 walls and I was pretty pissed after that, but it looks great now with 100% coverage. Learning experience for sure, the last time I painted was 2005...

What kind of base and brand of paint you using?

Valspar signature series, $35/gallon. It was just technique error. I wasn't using the right nap on the rollers. It looks much better now that I have a 3/8" nap roller and lather that thing up with up. I also bought a really nice Wooster pro brush last night that does great edging as well as filling in texture.

Tough to see in the picture but I got the kitchen and dining all edged up, ready for a roller soon. I plan to do all the edging in the rooms I'm painting and then come through with a roller and knock out the wall space in a day or less.

IMAG1986_zpslpt7vuej.jpg

MK, these are the ones I kept:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AOS8K8/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

I have no concerns. The Weathertech fit like shit in comparison and were really wimpy feeling. The quality of this set of Husky is WAY above the WT stuff. Can't comment on other lines, but I would definitely buy these again.

The rear seat one fits not as well, but neither were great for that.

MK, these are the ones I kept:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AOS8K8/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

I have no concerns. The Weathertech fit like shit in comparison and were really wimpy feeling. The quality of this set of Husky is WAY above the WT stuff. Can't comment on other lines, but I would definitely buy these again.

The rear seat one fits not as well, but neither were great for that.

Damn, they don't make the x-act contour in my model. You can tell from there website that they are made of a softer material, which is what I really want.

Why aren't we out fishing Sean?

Because I SUCK at not working

Trying to come up with some products to buy for the car to get the paint back to excellent condition, but there is so much stuff and information out there!!!

Thinking I will bite the bullet and get a random orbital. I did the entire truck by hand last time and it sucked.

Why aren't we out fishing Sean?

Because I SUCK at not working

Ha!

Me too!

Trying to come up with some products to buy for the car to get the paint back to excellent condition, but there is so much stuff and information out there!!!

Thinking I will bite the bullet and get a random orbital. I did the entire truck by hand last time and it sucked.

Stupid Flex is $389. sad.png Otherwise I'd have one.

The Griot is the budget winner.

I just bought Menzerna compound...actually landed today. Excited to try it out on the Flex.

Detailed image recommends the Porter Cable 7424XP which is priced only slightly lower.

Let me know on the Menzerna. The price seems steeper than others but hey, if it's worth it.

The issue I worry about is buying some of this stuff to correct the paint, then having 80% left and never needing it again. It seems like a waste.

So you have a flex or don't?

My buddy has one

Detailed image recommends the Porter Cable 7424XP which is priced only slightly lower.

Let me know on the Menzerna. The price seems steeper than others but hey, if it's worth it.

The PC is basically a more expensive Griot from what I read.

The Menzerna came as the most recommended from everything I read. Sure I spent an extra $50, but if it works easier than I am happy. Supposedly much easier to apply and not swirl. I have a black truck, so that is rather important.

I have a black truck, so that is rather important.

IMG_20150606_174741188_HDR.jpg

That's why I'll be paying close attention to your results...

Stupid Flex is $389. sad.png Otherwise I'd have one.

The Griot is the budget winner.

I just bought Menzerna compound...actually landed today. Excited to try it out on the Flex.

Go to your local Napa.  they have a Porter Cable for $159 with a trade-in on an old cordless tool.

Since you've never used a machine before, I would not use your new black vehicle as your first attempt.  You WILL fuck up and that's not the one to fuck up on.  Don't you have a Saturn or something?  Hell, go to a local junkyard and buy some panels for cheap to practice on.

I have a Makita MKT9237CX2. Great buffer.

As far as a random orbital, just do it by hand. You'll be better off.

6L80e transmission fluid was changed. Pan dropped, new Napa filter & gasket, and then filled. Car started with the hoses off on the cooler until it ran clean. Shut off, hoses replaced and the transmission filled.

Instantly post change doing a WOT run the truck would get to 5500rpm or so and then pop out of gear. Engine then pegged redline, stopped itself, I yank foot off gas and the truck shifts into 2nd.

My guess/hope is the filter is either a piece of shit, was knocked loose or ...

If not, curious how bad it will be. Also wondering how you find a transmission rebuild shop. I don't really want to send mine someplace. I've found upgraded clutch packs etc to put in, but figure Kennedy/Aamco and the like are not the places to have do it.

Currently the truck is at the shop that changed the tranny fluid...having the pan pulled and filter checked out.

Since you've never used a machine before, I would not use your new black vehicle as your first attempt.  You WILL fuck up and that's not the one to fuck up on.  Don't you have a Saturn or something?  Hell, go to a local junkyard and buy some panels for cheap to practice on.

If there is no correction needed on the paint I'd do it all by hand as well. A very non-aggressive finish polish will go a long way in removing little stuff.

And as with ANY paint correction. Start with super non-aggressive stuff and only get more aggressive if the first doesn't do enough. No reason to make a daily driver perfect either as it is going to get fucked driving it and the more you take off the less you can correct later.

Lots and lots and lots of REALLY clean and dedicated (ie only for the car) microfiber towels are your friend. I use about 30 when I wash/detail my rig.