Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Rotors might be getting thin.

I highly doubt it, the rotors were replaced when those pads were installed.

IMG_20151114_152030796_zpsqmfpbjai.jpg

Anybody want this for the cost of shipping? I didn't k ow the 2 surround speakers in my house were wired in parallel and now all the channels barely play at any volume. Just hate throwing audio equipment away.

God damn I hate being right! Fucking broken piston skirts!

Sean, I burnt some ghee in the stainless steel, any tips for getting it off?

I think by now everyone knows my love of the 1911. It is the flaming sword that Gabriel himself blessed upon Saint John Moses Browning and then onto us mere mortals.

That said it's simply more particular than most modern pistols, and that's really true from the tighter guns. It's not abnormal to have one magazine from a great brand work and the one next to it need some tuning or it just won't feed right. Numbering your 1911 mags is a real common thing.

Recoil spring and buffer can make a pistol stumble. Once it's dialed in its the greatest pistol platform you will ever shoot.

Making them compact has also had issues for some. In fact many new companies are making their compact 1911 so far away from the original design you can't exchange parts. It increases the ergo or the reliability and for whatever reason making the standard pistol smaller just complicates the design and unless really touched by a person has a higher likelihood of having issue.

For me the tight but compact 1911 is a bit of an odd duck. It results in a pistol that can be more prone to problems so that you can carry it, but it's accurized to a point that it's incapable of shooting. Less reliability and impossible to use accuracy don't make sense.

Get a full frame and shoot it because it's the absolute greatest joy you can have in a pistol, and if you can't carry it, use a more rugged and modern design for carry.

Maybe a car analogy would work. A compact accurate 1911 For carry is like a blown LS in a Ford escape with rubberband tires on 22" rims and cool overs. 800 HP in a chassis that can't use it and to front wheels that won't be able to hook up.

Even if a master like you worked on that car it's still really bad as a daily driver and as a race car because the level of performance doesn't make sense with the chassis.

I am right there with you Matt, 1911's are the best platform IMO too.

But you all know I have a gun kinda sickness. ;)

While I am saddened to hear about Paris, and sorry to hear about kitty being put down, checking back in to all the conversation about firearms makes my trigger finger itchy and gives me a big smile.

J

I just realized I've had my AR over a year and have yet to shoot it.  Guess I should sell it.

Feel free to send it on down here. I'd love one.

J

Sean, I burnt some ghee in the stainless steel, any tips for getting it off?

soak in boiling water. Gravy whisk once boiled for a bit.

Cat is sick.

Cat is gone.

sad.png

Sorry man. :-(

So long kitty, be free in a better place. :(

OK, so I have a gun thing going again. I am a CCW but I already have my daily carry. I bought a new M&P40 Shield (no thumb safety) 2 weeks ago to fill that need. I leave my M&P9 Shield at home now. I like the 40 better. I have an IWB and an on the hip holster  But I want to grab a 1911.

smDSCN3346_zpss5dc9ixo.jpg

smDSCN3342_zpshwloaxtm.jpg

I like Kimber, and I have narrowed it down to the Ultra Carry 2, or the Pro Carry 2. Both are 45ACP, both have many of the same offerings. Both are 7+1 single stacks, both have match stainless steel barrels, steel slides, bull barrels to absorb recoil and aid in balance, 4-5# pulls, etc. The real difference is barrel length and the frame materials. The frame on the Pro Carry is a hardened aluminum alloy to save weight (tested with over 20,000 cycles to maintain nominal wear) while the Ultra Carry is a stainless steel frame for heft. The Pro has a 4 inch barrel, while the Ultra is a 3 inch. Aside from barrel (and obviously overall) length, they are the same height and width. I like the bigger sight radius on the Pro, but like the small stature of the ultra.

I expect this pistol to be more of an in the woods carry, as a backup, and a paper puncher/home defense pistol. Primary carry will be on a hip holster, but I am considering a shoulder carry for this if I so opt to CC with it. The handle is just too big for an IWB, and I am not certain I am comfortable with carrying cocked and locked pointing at my nuts. Carrying a 1911 with one in the pipe and the hammer down (resting on the round) is not safe, and I will not risk having to rack a round in a situation, as it takes too much time. Plus, I don't want the holster wear that accompanies a daily carry on such a pretty piece.

Initial thought is, the Pro suits my needs better. Better sight radius is awesome for accuracy, as is the longer barrel. It is still small enough to allow for a shoulder carry.

Any input is awesome.

what happed to the two spent rounds?

OK, so I have a gun thing going again. I am a CCW but I already have my daily carry. I bought a new M&P40 Shield (no thumb safety) 2 weeks ago to fill that need. I leave my M&P9 Shield at home now. I like the 40 better. I have an IWB and an on the hip holster  But I want to grab a 1911.

smDSCN3346_zpss5dc9ixo.jpg

smDSCN3342_zpshwloaxtm.jpg

I like Kimber, and I have narrowed it down to the Ultra Carry 2, or the Pro Carry 2. Both are 45ACP, both have many of the same offerings. Both are 7+1 single stacks, both have match stainless steel barrels, steel slides, bull barrels to absorb recoil and aid in balance, 4-5# pulls, etc. The real difference is barrel length and the frame materials. The frame on the Pro Carry is a hardened aluminum alloy to save weight (tested with over 20,000 cycles to maintain nominal wear) while the Ultra Carry is a stainless steel frame for heft. The Pro has a 4 inch barrel, while the Ultra is a 3 inch. Aside from barrel (and obviously overall) length, they are the same height and width. I like the bigger sight radius on the Pro, but like the small stature of the ultra.

I expect this pistol to be more of an in the woods carry, as a backup, and a paper puncher/home defense pistol. Primary carry will be on a hip holster, but I am considering a shoulder carry for this if I so opt to CC with it. The handle is just too big for an IWB, and I am not certain I am comfortable with carrying cocked and locked pointing at my nuts. Carrying a 1911 with one in the pipe and the hammer down (resting on the round) is not safe, and I will not risk having to rack a round in a situation, as it takes too much time. Plus, I don't want the holster wear that accompanies a daily carry on such a pretty piece.

Initial thought is, the Pro suits my needs better. Better sight radius is awesome for accuracy, as is the longer barrel. It is still small enough to allow for a shoulder carry.

Any input is awesome.

what happed to the two spent rounds?

They went into a deer carcass, actually. My buddy got a decent 200# 7 pointer the day before I bought it. We wanted to see what a .40 S&W FMJ would do to it compared to a 9mm FMJ. The .40 blew through it, but the 9 stopped on the other shoulder blade. He has a Glock 23 and a Glock 27 we also shot at it. He is waiting for a .357 sig conversion for his 23. I wish it was there that weekend so we could have compared it as well.

If you buy a 1911 I always recommend the largest you can.

Full frame, full slide, full grip, etc.

The 1911 is perfection to me. Every one that has been shortened one way or another usually has problems unless a real master had his hands on it. I don't know much about kimber as I have only had the chance to use a few of them. They had some really horrible issues for a while so I stayed away.

Springfield is my go to.

I can carry a full frame with an 8 round mag no problem. I am an ogre though.

Yeah, I have several friends who own Kimbers and I have never heard of a problem from them. In fact, I have never heard of an actual owner of one complain about it. I did some research (because I have heard of the issues as well) and found that most complaints were keyboard commandos who never even shot a Kimber who were relaying something they read on the internet. If Marine special ops, and LAPD SIS use them, I am fine with it. I will have a local smith go through it and polish it up and run a couple tweaks on it.

Kimber makes a proven 1911 platform compact to full size. I have shot almost every thing they currently make and like. Just keep in mind they are a lighter and tighter tolerance built gun than say a springfield mil spec 1911, so with the lighter advantage you will have more wrist snap in a .45.

Seth as far as polishing it up you can do that or get a box of full lead tip ammo and go shoot it in. 

I mean slides, seers and triggers will get work.

It will get a bunch of lead down the pipe. The Shield is only a couple weeks old, but it already has almost 300 rounds through it. I have never shot a 40 out of a subcompact, and I am honestly finding recoil in such a small, light pistol to be affecting my grip. It is odd, as I am not flinching, but it seems like I am psyching myself in to squeezing it too tight when I draw from the hip. I keep pushing it low left, but my finger is spot on on the trigger. Just standing on the line I am not doing it, but on the draw I am no where near as accurate as I am with the Shield9. Bottom line is, I shoot the fuck out of my guns ;).

Cat is sick.

Cat is gone.

sad.png

Sorry man. :-(

So long kitty, be free in a better place. sad.png

Sorry Matt :(

Thanks guys. He went from happy to unable to walk, eat, drink, or be true my aware in just a day.

No food for 3-4 days even when a forced feeding was tried.

My roommate was closest and he was there and I was scratching his ear. Good fairwell.

So I dropped my coffee roaster (popcorn maker) and broke the motor mounts. With Christmas coming up, I was thinking an upgrade may be possible. What should I look for in the roaster market. I have no problem with it being an outside only type of roaster.

Kicking around the idea of rebuild the jeep 4.0.

I will have a price on the parts tomorrow.

If I do, does anyone want to come help?

I leave in 21 days for another cruise, so that is going to be my time frame.

I have lots of food, rum, and hospitality. :) 

If you like, the wife has lots of wine.