Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Awesome! They will have a blast, I am sure. Plus, family time is invaluable.

As far as the walnut, I like black walnut a lot. I even have a buddy with a lot of it in his shop, so I could score enough relatively cheap if not free. He has had it for years. But there are a few reasons I want to stay clear of it and go with mahogany. First, it is too dark for my room, and for the dark equipment. I have light oak floors, and light oak blinds, mahogany end tables and a bookshelf in my room... and my speakers are curly mahogany. Second is that it is hard to work with because it is so hard/dense. It is a tough wood to cut, it is brutal on saw blades and router bits, and I will have to crank out the dado blade for the inlay I am envisioning. Also, the figure doesn't pop when you use a clear coat on it. Mahogany goes with my speakers. However, I do have black walnut on my mains. The front baffle has a 3/8" edge of solid black walnut with a routed figure. Mahogany, while classified as a hard wood, is fairly soft, so it is really easy to work with for a dense wood. The figure really pops with a clear coat as well.

Oh yeah, caps will be in Monday, so the amp will be done on Tuesday. I also managed to grab several Mullard true 1950s British military CS 12AT7/ECC81 tubes relatively cheap. Matched, balanced triode, low noise tubes for under $50 apiece... These are pretty rare tubes, and are highly desirable. They are nice and warm without being dark, and have decent headroom, so I should have no problem with them in my amp, and they are military, which means they are durable.

But a bummer is, I snagged a Pro-Ject phono box for a temporary phono stage until I can decide on a permanent tube solution... I know, I want a tube phono stage, but I grabbed a SS for the time being until I can decide. I don't mind a temporary $80 phono stage with kick ass reviews from a really good company so I can enjoy my Jolida until I can make a beter educated decision. I almost bought a Pro-Ject Carbon Debut TT before deciding on the AT, so I am good with it for the time being.

Anyways, the phono stage won't be here until Friday, so I am stuck with this beautiful amp while listening to my analog through my Elite :(. First world problems and all...

Happy new years, fuckers!

IMG_20160101_122706353_zpslzsul0wz.jpg

Not too bad for my first time with a random orbital IMO.

Happy New Year!

Sorry for your loss Neal.

J

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

Come do the big ugly!

Happy New Year guys and thanks for the condolences.

Yesterday services were held for Ed and it made me very happy to see all the coworkers who attended. 

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php:1) in /home/soundsol/public_html/forum/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

Come do the big ugly!

I'll assume it will take me the same time it took to do mine you have to pay me $10 an hour so it would cost you about $2000 plus travel and expenses.

At least that's how long it felt like it took.

HOORAAAAAAAY
LIZARD SHIT
FUCK

These DirecTV boxes are about as reliable as a wet match. Jesus fuck.

These DirecTV boxes are about as reliable as a wet match. Jesus fuck.

and run on the same hardware that a Furbie does.

Happy New Year guys.

I'm super stoked I don't have kids!

Sure it might be different if "I had my own", honestly I can love other kids just fine. No need to pass on my fucked genes. My wave in the world ends with me.

CLD'd the NAS case...fucking rattle trap...

Edited by Penguin4x4

NOS Mullards came in today, and the amp will be done tomorrow. I'm stoked!

Not sure if anyone has used the Knukonceptz Karma SS cable yet, but it is retarded. I ordered the 8ga speaker cable, 25 feet. It weighed a damn ton. I pulled it out and was stunned at the cable. It is 2 leads of 8ga with heavy insulation, wrapped as a twisted pair, with a heavy insulation around the twisted 8Ga. All told it is easily bigger than my 1/0 in the car. It is just too fuckin big for my switch. I ordered 12Ga today. I'll post some images tomorrow when I get the amp in.

I have some of their 12 gauge twisted like that. Thick as shit.

It'll look cool when I get or build new mains for my music listening, but for now I am having to use a switch to cycle from the tubes to the SS in my theater rig. It simply will not handle that huge cable. When I get or build the new mains, I will use the donkey dick 8Ga. I'm leaning towards buying some mains, but I would rather not spend the money for the units I want...

I want the Paradigm Prestige 95F, but being realistic I will likely grab the 85F if I opt to buy rather than build. I love them in Midnight Cherry... The 95s are flat to 37Hz, where the 85s are flat (+/-2dB) to 40Hz. Realistically in room my F3 should be ~32-35Hz with the 85s, but fuck me running, those 95s dig deep.

paradigm-prestige-series-85f-floorstandi

It'll look cool when I get or build new mains for my music listening, but for now I am having to use a switch to cycle from the tubes to the SS in my theater rig. It simply will not handle that huge cable. When I get or build the new mains, I will use the donkey dick 8Ga. I'm leaning towards buying some mains, but I would rather not spend the money for the units I want...

I want the Paradigm Prestige 95F, but being realistic I will likely grab the 85F if I opt to buy rather than build. I love them in Midnight Cherry... The 95s are flat to 37Hz, where the 85s are flat (+/-2dB) to 40Hz. Realistically in room my F3 should be ~32-35Hz with the 85s, but fuck me running, those 95s dig deep.

paradigm-prestige-series-85f-floorstandi

Those are purdy!

So nice looking.   :)