Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Used transmission or torque converter I installed in the Jeep failed. First it clogged the filter with friction material, 30 miles later it was friction material and metal flakes. So I'll bite the bullet, send the converter to get rebuilt and see how bad the damage is in the transmission.

Boo :(

Rebuilding the converter costs $400 Transmission rebuild costs $1300 A full rebuild kit in the US costs under $500. According to the guy who does the rebuilds, the converter should be responsible for the damage. I sure hope he's right and the trans is ok.

I'm not scared of rebuilding the transmission, seems like the most difficult part is keeping everything in the correct place. No brake bands and things to torque.

11 hours ago, ricksi30 said:

Hey guys how are you all doing? Remember me lol!? I saw Mark's post about picking up traffic....What happened, why is the forum so dead as of late? I stopped frequenting the site because I've been super busy, but I've been back on more lately and it seems like there is way less activity.

Good to have you back.  It's not really dead, just slowed down a little.  More and more forum traffic seems to move to FB every month.

2 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

FB?

The book of face

2 hours ago, Adrian_D said:

Rebuilding the converter costs $400 Transmission rebuild costs $1300 A full rebuild kit in the US costs under $500. According to the guy who does the rebuilds, the converter should be responsible for the damage. I sure hope he's right and the trans is ok.

If only you were closer, we could rebuild that very inexpensively! 

As for the Subbie question earlier.  By far the best winter car I've ever owned was my 944 Turbo S.  Snow tires on that and I could run circles around everyone.  It would plow snow of course if it was really deep, but was so stable and controllable it was absurd.  Went through stuff better than my old air cooled VW beetle even.

In general I am not a fan of AWD in the snow.  For most people it creates the false confidence problem which is bad.  FWD is of course miles worse as all you get is understeer.

My next car will be a RWD again for that reason.  I wish the Escalade wasn't AWD. :(

My only other comment on Subaru is from an engineering perspective they have almost no tools in their toolbox compared to other companies.  Obviously they achieve more with less but as things become more complicated I would be scared to own one.  You are looking at a rather simple car though and are beyond competent so that wouldn't be a problem.  Obviously the winter driving woes won't be your concern either like the soccer moms here.

2 hours ago, S.DeYoung said:

The book of face

Ah, I have no face

Facespace.

Great pickup Neal!!!!

J

I got ran over today at work with a cart.  Bitch knocked me into a fucking bolt head first, knocked me onto the ground, and kept trying to push the cart over me.  8 stitches later. . . 

I have no control over that any longer.

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

As for the Subbie question earlier.  By far the best winter car I've ever owned was my 944 Turbo S.  Snow tires on that and I could run circles around everyone.  It would plow snow of course if it was really deep, but was so stable and controllable it was absurd.  Went through stuff better than my old air cooled VW beetle even.

In general I am not a fan of AWD in the snow.  For most people it creates the false confidence problem which is bad.  FWD is of course miles worse as all you get is understeer.

My next car will be a RWD again for that reason.  I wish the Escalade wasn't AWD. :(

My only other comment on Subaru is from an engineering perspective they have almost no tools in their toolbox compared to other companies.  Obviously they achieve more with less but as things become more complicated I would be scared to own one.  You are looking at a rather simple car though and are beyond competent so that wouldn't be a problem.  Obviously the winter driving woes won't be your concern either like the soccer moms here.

I rode in the loaded Outback. I just don't care for bells and whistles. Sure, there is a lot of cool shit, but am I going to die if I don't get it loaded? I fix broke cars for a living. If people really knew how fucking much shit was when it broke they would likely be looking for a horse and buggy. I had a Lexus in a few months ago... push button start failure. It needed the remote module. $1400 our cost! Sorry, I'll turn a fucking key for that money. Subaru simplicity is good for me. I don't want, or need, anything fancy or special at all... except for heated seats... I do have to have a warm ass.

Too many goodies scare me. I want to get from point A to point B. I don't fuckin care how I look or how fancy my car is that gets me there.

AWD is a requirement where I live. FWD and RWD will not get out. I have both. Bear in mind, I grew up and learned to drive in Buffalo snow. It isn't an inability to drive in the snow... it is an inability to get out of my fucking driveway.

I can't disagree with the simpler is better if you don't want to wrench on your own car.  Definitely by far the most cost effective kind of car to own, no way to ever argue that.

Remind me to shoot a picture of my driveway.  We regularly have visitors who must leave their car at the bottom of it.  Although this winter was the first time that never happened....which means it was the shittiest winter ever.  Yours may have different challenges, but my M5 was my daily driver when I moved in and it traversed mine gloriously.

I am not implying worse than yours, just real shitty.  Hell in the summer I am not sure Matt even wanted to ride his motorcycle up it.

Aaron, here is the problem with DWB and the IS in particular.  Video proves that front end is jacked.

Helps to hit paste...

16 hours ago, nem said:

If only you were closer, we could rebuild that very inexpensively!

And make it a fun experience.

On the other hand, my father is excited about this rebuild.

The plot thickens:

I called UK's biggest automatic repair place (JPAT), they said it's most likely a failed converter and at minimum I will have to tear apart the transmission and valve body and wash everything. JPAT also has killer prices, $100 for all the friction discs, $80 for all the seals, and so on. It comes in under $400 for all that I need.

I called my mechanic friend from who I got the converter and used trans. The trans came off a working car but the converter came from a car in his shop with a ton of problems. As it turns out, they fixed the problems last week, and it all sounded like my problem. Filter would get clogged and the car would slip in any gear, oil level would be high. They installed another converter, new oil and filter, and off it went.

So I guess I got a bad converter. Quite the joy, and to think that I wanted to get a rebuilt converter when I replaced the transmission but was convinced not to because of cost.

I just got off the phone with another place in Romania which repairs transmissions and I bought parts from them before (a solenoid, some valves). They also have killer prices and sell OEM Mercedes parts. Very helpful over the phone.

Time to support the local company and buy all the stuff from them, warranty, no delays etc etc

*fingers crossed* Hopefully this all works as planned and it's just the converter which failed.

What I fear most is a failure in the trans because I took it apart, changed the guts from the working one and put it back together, all in a rush. 

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Aaron, here is the problem with DWB and the IS in particular.  Video proves that front end is jacked.

That can hardly be contributed to suspension design.  Setup, k ack if proper downforce, and control of undercar flow caused that lift, not suspension geometry.  If that was the case every car would lift like that.

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

That can hardly be contributed to suspension design.  Setup, k ack if proper downforce, and control of undercar flow caused that lift, not suspension geometry.  If that was the case every car would lift like that.

sarcasm > you this morning