Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

7 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Does anyone have hook ups with Shure, Sennheiser, or Audio-Technica?

Looking to discuss possible business opportunities

If more info as to my end goal and what I need is required please PM me.

J

I own products by each of them... but sadly, no.

have the boys at the children's museum right now.  Holy milf heaven

13 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I guess I know what I'm doing on my day off. Better find a kid to rent.

:D:D:D

15 hours ago, dem beats said:

Who needs doors when you have the untz and wub?!?!

Untz untz untz wub wub wub.

12 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Mine always like to come

Been a long time since I went out cougar hunting. 

They are voracious.

My buddy and I went and got a bunch of bars in the twin cities a while back and we met a couple who were a little ranked already. My buddy and the dude went out for a smoke. They actually ended up climbing to the roof of the bar, for their smoke.... The woman then got a little handsy. I thought I was gonna take a punch when the guy got back, but he was obviously aware of her wondering syndrome.  She made it extremely clear they had an open relationship.

Later that night, some best buy HR person and her friend Sat and drank with us. My buddy was a bit too ranked and indignant, but I got an invite to sit in HR ladies new Cayenne.... We spent quite some talking about vehicles so I'm sure she just wanted to show me the leather.

:D

Quality was great early in the am, the late comers not so much

Noted. Get there at open and start drinking in case I need to go with the B squad!

$100, small enough to tuck under a seat and 500w for a pair of 4ohm subs

http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-ST4-1000D-Stealth-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00K6ON4EO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41KKDjauPyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=021EEKX6HC52CK4Z94K3

I'm tempted.  Guess is that it will be fully potted like a marine amp and could be useful later in life as a 4 channel.

42 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

$100, small enough to tuck under a seat and 500w for a pair of 4ohm subs

http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-ST4-1000D-Stealth-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00K6ON4EO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41KKDjauPyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=021EEKX6HC52CK4Z94K3

I'm tempted.  Guess is that it will be fully potted like a marine amp and could be useful later in life as a 4 channel.

I don't know about the Stealth amps, but I bought the Picasso Nano 5 channel and the Tarantula Nano 5 channel and they were worlds apart.  The Picasso was a bit over $100, while the Tarantula was $50 more and well worth it.  I'd do some research before buying.

7 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Sounds like every museum I have ever been to.

J

13 hours ago, sandt38 said:

I own products by each of them... but sadly, no.

All good. Just trying to get something going, and was looking for a good contact.

J

'Shreds of black cloud loom in overcast skies.
The Necromancer keeps watch with his magic prism eyes.
He views all his lands and is already aware of the three helpless invaders
trapped in his lair...'

38 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Sounds like every museum I have ever been to.

J

My standard are high....this KILLED all other museums I've been to.  Was painful

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

I don't know about the Stealth amps, but I bought the Picasso Nano 5 channel and the Tarantula Nano 5 channel and they were worlds apart.  The Picasso was a bit over $100, while the Tarantula was $50 more and well worth it.  I'd do some research before buying.

I tried in 60 seconds....  I expect it to be Crap but it will be for subs so I am pretty sure I don't care

I seriously need a GOOD burnout!

Why are car audio amps always dirt cheap compared to home amps?

15 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Why are car audio amps always dirt cheap compared to home amps?

Clientele

And you can find super cheep home amps... But the convo will be the same.

I for one love tube stuff but studio rack amps make just as much power and it's just as clean. 

Amps color sound. No matter what. They also handle power changes, I'm sure the word dynamics comes in here but I'm not learned enough to know I'm using the term properly, in different ways. I want a whole room full of Mac and similar in my house but I know a nice Crown or Qcs would be so good my ear probably couldn't tell unless your tubes added warmth. That's not dogging the amp. I don't know enough to say why that's a better option than an EQ but it's what people do. 

Finally, home audio gear is usually much more esoteric. Depending on what you get, it can be hard as fuck to drive some of the more interesting speakers. Crossovers can get fuck off complex or somehow chew up watts.

Wilson audio comes to mind #wattpuppies.  The big magnepans. Those crazy array speakers with like 80000 tweeters etc.  They take a ton of power to drive. They might not be better for it, but they certainly make them in a way that they sound better with absurd overhead for what I'm sure they actually need to draw to make noise.

I don't understand the electrical specifics but there is also a ton of marketing.

Also car guys want efficiency and the tech is geared towards active crossovers with other more refined and purpose built individual parts.

Tons of people would put some audio in their car and they will do research etc etc and build their own set up chowing drivers specific to the need.  Most home audio people would never ever ever ever ever consider building an enclosure for their own speakers.  Subs get some love..... But 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% Of people aren't going to build their own custom cabinets for something that will be in their living room. Because their wives would murder them.

So basically.  Blame women.

Except Seth. Seth does what the fuck Seth does and those cabinets are dead fuckin sexy.

It really has to do with quality of components more than anything else.

Here are the guts of a relatively inexpensive Elite VSX91 (In the Elite line this was a low powered entry level receiver). IIRC they retailed for ~$900.

pio91frontopen.jpg

Here we have a ton of processing, pre-amp, and power amp all in one. Believe me, these are beauties. I have a VSX45 that sits about 3 tiers above this. They have killer Burr-Brown DAC, a super powerful phono stage, and more.

Compare the feature set with a $900 car audio amplifier.

The car amp does jack shit.

When we step up into higher end home amps we see even more high quality components. Just look at the transformers on my tube amp! They are monsterous, you will never see components like this in a car amp.

Dynamics, range, depth, image, extension, air... These are things that a car audio buff can't understand the depths of. Sure, car audio can be exceptional, but the constraints of the passenger compartment, power on hand, and noise can only allow one to achieve a certain level of these nuances. Manufacturers realize this and really only put so much effort into them.

I have been fortunate to be in the presence of some amazing home systems, and I have heard some serious car systems. I heard some Valve Amplification Company amps powering a set of Tidal Contriva. The set up was very detailed, clinical, and filled the room in ways that are beyond my ability to put into words. You could feel the instruments in the room with you. You knew where the high hat sat in the room relative to the snare. You knew where the piano say, where the acoustic guitarist sat, where the bassist was, and how he liked to move around the room while playing. You could almost feel Norah Jones breathing out her lyrics on your face. You heard, what I like to say was, her lips brushing the pop filter. They certainly showed off every weakness in the material we listened to. But the way they did it was indescribably beautiful. There was a depth, an emotion, an intimacy that was conveyed that I have never even heard in a live show. While I like to show it off and talk about how good my system sounds, it had nothing on the Tidal/VAC system I heard. Yet I have never heard a car system as good as my wanna be audiophile system. Not even close.

16 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Target is my Milf watching place of choice.