Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

The M9 is the better pic, but those are very different of course.

People said the Moto X 1st gen I had took horrible pictures. I always thought could snap a good shot, but this time I wanted a hands down awesome cell phone camera.

I partially want to get better shots with ease and partially want to support companies that put great cameras in there devices. It's outrageous to me that a flagship device can come with a less than great camera considering the iPhone has had a phenomenal camera sice the 3rd gen iPhone. 

On 4/21/2016 at 6:29 PM, Tirefryr said:

Aaron, what tire are you running on the RX?

I've got P-Zero Neros and hate them.  Looking into the Pilot Sport Cup 2s.

Currently 275/40/17 Toyo R1R.  Fat tires are fat.  They are meant for track mostly, but can be driven daily and have done me very well.  Will be moving to RE-71R's next: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R

Probably move to a 255/40/17 to have less sidewall squish on harsh turns and a slightly smaller OD for better mechanical advantage.  These are rated at 200 tread-wear, but are really 80, and that was done for the autocross guys like me wanting more stickies.  My R1R's have big time grip, the RE-71R is a serious class above the R1R in terms of grip.

So if you want to go more grip aggressive than the P-Zero's, consider the R1R's or even the Dunlap Starspecs.

On 4/21/2016 at 6:59 PM, lithium said:

subs or mids? 

SSA Evil 6.5 Mids.

On 4/22/2016 at 11:19 PM, lithium said:

or just a mid like we've seen in the past from others like mach 5, AA poly 6.5, etc?

Just the mid for now, when we can afford a dedicated tweet, it will follow.  Rough plans are jotted down.

Just now, Penguin4x4 said:

Mmm, 6.5 sub...

Sundown has one coming.

Love it.

On 4/23/2016 at 10:51 PM, ///M5 said:

Doesn't Nikon have a 135 f2?  Could be an interesting rental.

If it's less than the 50mm maybe. 

Isn't J using a crop sensor though?  Could be useful.

My good friend shoots shows for a living she uses a 7D and a 70-200 is.  She would like to have more zoom if possible actually.

10 hours ago, MKader17 said:

People said the Moto X 1st gen I had took horrible pictures. I always thought could snap a good shot, but this time I wanted a hands down awesome cell phone camera.

I partially want to get better shots with ease and partially want to support companies that put great cameras in there devices. It's outrageous to me that a flagship device can come with a less than great camera considering the iPhone has had a phenomenal camera sice the 3rd gen iPhone. 

I could get some other comparison shots if it is of interest to you. I just wanted you to see that the camera, while not the best, is certainly solid for a cell phone. I read that the camera was awful, and while it is of no real interest to me, I think it is a solid camera. My son has an iPhone 6 and it's camera is not really any better than my M9. I figured with the new HTC phone it might make the M9 more affordable. FWIW, I love my M9. I have yet to be disappointed in any HTC phone I have ever owned.

By comparison my wife's V10 has crashed a few times, while mine has yet to crash, and it doesn't play nice with certain devices. We needed a network extender because we get no service out here. Every phone in the house plays nice with the extender except for the V10. Ultimately I wound up having to get a land line because she can't use her phone out here. She also drops service a lot more than my M9 or my son's iPhone. I'd say that of the 3, the iPhone gets better service, but only marginally compared to the M9. The M9 has expandable memory, where the iPhone is fixed, and I am not strapped to Apple for everything.

HTC has almost always made the best finished package for a phone.  They know how to make a device that is thoughtful.

I do like my LG V10 and my LG G4 more however. I'm a super mega ultra user.  I make my phones die.  

The LG products have the best camera. Its Real. They are amazing. IPhones are next. After that I don't care so I can't tell you.  The V10 and my G4 are premium in feel and finish. HTC is still much classier.

The LG phones have features I like a lot.  The "second screen" on my V10 and the fingerprint reader are stupendous.  The fingerprint reader doesn't always work but it probably will save hours from my life by not having to draw or type a password 95% of the time.  It makes the Apple version look like failed tech.

If you just want a phone that works, but isn't BLEEDING edge get aHTC as they are just really well put together software and hardware.

If you are a hardcore user, let me know what you want and I'll recommend something.

13 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Ha, until the iPhone 6 the camera was garbage.  Then it just finally caught up.  Not sure what banana nonsense you are smoking.

2 hours ago, sandt38 said:

I have yet to be disappointed in any HTC phone I have ever owned.

Me neither.  Will move back next time I think....because rooted.

2 hours ago, sandt38 said:

We needed a network extender because we get no service out here. Every phone in the house plays nice with the extender except for the V10. Ultimately I wound up having to get a land line because she can't use her phone out here. She also drops service a lot more than my M9 or my son's iPhone. I'd say that of the 3, the iPhone gets better service, but only marginally compared to the M9. The M9 has expandable memory, where the iPhone is fixed, and I am not strapped to Apple for everything.

Well that butchered my multi-quote :(

Basically typed up a bunch of shit that can be summarized.

...try T-mobile, free WiFi calls and texts which are seamless.  Works super well. 

That being said I was in rural MI today where T-mobile has minimal to no coverage and my colleague with an iPhone 6 had me loan him my G4 a few different times to look things up or call since I had signal and he didn't.  G4 reception is miles ahead of the iPhone as was my battery life...

7 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Well that butchered my multi-quote :(

Basically typed up a bunch of shit that can be summarized.

...try T-mobile, free WiFi calls and texts which are seamless.  Works super well. 

That being said I was in rural MI today where T-mobile has minimal to no coverage and my colleague with an iPhone 6 had me loan him my G4 a few different times to look things up or call since I had signal and he didn't.  G4 reception is miles ahead of the iPhone as was my battery life...

Interesting. I never even considered T-Mobile. Moving from AT&T to Verizon has proven to be a horrible mistake. I'll have to look into them.

Been staying with Verizon due to coverage.

I switched to Verizon and can't hear anyone now.

I find the coverage maps to be really useful.

TMo is best value in metro

Verizon has the best BFE coverage

ATT has great overall coverage. Better hi speed in rural areas

Sprint... I have no clue. Hit or miss