Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Seth with a crop sensor get a 35mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.4.  You will have the most creative room and they will be reasonably priced.  You will have the capabilities to shoot in low light and to make beautiful bokeh.

I would shop on Craig's list, national camera, or a local shop.

9 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Seth with a crop sensor get a 35mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.4.  You will have the most creative room and they will be reasonably priced.  You will have the capabilities to shoot in low light and to make beautiful bokeh.

I would shop on Craig's list, national camera, or a local shop.

Interesting how much the price climbs from a 50mm 1.8 to a similar 50mm 1.4. The price is almost double!

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Cheap belt drive.  Not worth spending more.

Is this a cheap one? 

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-190-hps-ultra-quiet-belt-drive-garage/p-00954918000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Deep Eddy Sweet Tea Vodka...yyyeeep it's good alright.

I have been looking for some Polish beer locally and have not had any luck. 

I am looking for Zywiec and Lomza, anybody have advice on how I can get some?

Fly to Europe? :lol2:

I don't know how much I can take
The secret thoughts inside me wake
I've lost what was within me
Oh sweet insanity
Now I try again to find
The thing that was my mind
Behold the undersigned
Who said I've lost my mind

2 hours ago, sandt38 said:

Interesting how much the price climbs from a 50mm 1.8 to a similar 50mm 1.4. The price is almost double!

I would trust the Canon 1.8.  I would not trust the Nikon. 

Look at the the 1.2.  That's a brutal jump in price.  For me it is so worth it.

In fact, last time I looked the Canon 1.8 is better than the 1.4 when it comes to focus speed.  The .4 is a lot of light however.  It's just about what you want from the lens.

The 1.2 is sharp as a razor like the 1.8, way more than the 1.4 but the reality is that the fast primes aren't for being sharp. They are for isolating a subject, artsy stuff, and shooting in the dark.

The 1.2 pulls bright usable pictures handheld in places as dark as a movie theater.  I just did this on Thursday.  Shocked the shit out of me.

I don't know shit about cameras, but my sis does photography for a living and all her stuff is Nikon.

1 hour ago, nem said:

I have been looking for some Polish beer locally and have not had any luck. 

I am looking for Zywiec and Lomza, anybody have advice on how I can get some?

Never tried Polish beer. Or is that... brewski?

27 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I don't know shit about cameras, but my sis does photography for a living and all her stuff is Nikon.

I know some photographers and most use Nikon as well. I am researching Canon just based on Matt and Sean's obvious preference for Canon. The majority of my research is leading me to Nikon, admittedly. As far as crop consumer units, this year's offerings by Nikon is supposedly worlds ahead of Canon. Where Canon opted for appearance upgrades, Nikon went with usable feature sets.

1 hour ago, Penguin4x4 said:

Fly to Europe? :lol2:

Very prevalent in Chicago.  

25 minutes ago, sandt38 said:

Never tried Polish beer. Or is that... brewski?

It is very good to me. 

13 minutes ago, nem said:

It is very good to me. 

Ironically I lived in a Polish suburb of Buffalo for a few years, South Cheektowaga. I still have a lot of Polish friends from up there. I loved eating at their houses... Polish food kicks ass. Never had Polish beer though.

Oh, and Polish girls are fuckin hot...

35 minutes ago, sandt38 said:

I know some photographers and most use Nikon as well. I am researching Canon just based on Matt and Sean's obvious preference for Canon. The majority of my research is leading me to Nikon, admittedly. As far as crop consumer units, this year's offerings by Nikon is supposedly worlds ahead of Canon. Where Canon opted for appearance upgrades, Nikon went with usable feature sets.

Canon has better glass for the last 4-5 years.  I don't know about bodies.  I can't imagine much being better than the 7dmkii.  

Bodies mean dick. They are like receivers.  Speakers matter more. Features are usually worthless.  How a sensor handles ISO and speed are the only things you need to really care about dynamic range is not that important for 99% of photos.  Perhaps Sean would use it for his landscapes but the moment he wants to shoot the kids it goes back to how ISO is handled, in some cases total megapixels matter but I am going to let you know that the DX line up is 12 megapixels and can make images that are poster sized without batting an eye.

If you have a dollar amount I can compare bodies for you but the glass from Canon is better. It just simply is.

If you care about bodies go Sony.  They have the best of everything when it comes to bodies. They kill on video. Low Light stuff is hysterical how good they are.  But the glass is horseshit. The system is pucking horseshit. Seriously. pucking crap. 

16 minutes ago, sandt38 said:

Oh, and Polish girls are fuckin hot...

We got good food and hot chicks.  And some nice artillery like machine guns.

Also most of the world records for BAC are Polish......

Not that I'm Ansel Adams, but I take decent photos in pretty horrible lifting conditions.  Hard subjects with bad light in shitty conditions and usually I have to be dressed formally.  I hate qualifying my opinion but it helps me to get across my message.

So in these situations Canon offers a better package. Honestly I could "skirt" by with Nikon or Sony.  I would just spend more time either editing or disposing of extra shots.  When I made the choice to stick to Canon a big part of that was the 70-200 isII and the 50mm selection. I ended up with the 1.2 as it made me happy when I touched it.  Had a 1.4 and a 1.8 with it and the 1.2 won.  As it should, cost aside.

I make every bit of use of the 70-200 and I can toss on an x2 extender and have a world class 140-400. On a crop.... Lolololol.....

The 1.2 was life changing to me.  Sean let me use his 1.4 and after confirming I need a 50mm in my life the 1.2 came home.

Nikon has nothing as good as these.  If I was going to use a crop it might be better.  I doubt it however. The 70-200 is so good. Using it makes other similar lenses feel like a brain damaged Chinese knock off of something.  Its that good, it's measurably better in every category basically from anything else made.

If I used a different lens I would get less usable shots or need more time to edit. I would be forced to rely on machine gun photography.  That isn't bad but its nice to have that much confidence in my shots.  When I do machine gun, I have the luxury of picking between several great shots of whatever moment I want to catch.  

Chopin on the rocks is pretty good, also. At least, I think Chopin is Polish...

Monopolowa is damned good for the price if you can find it

Just now, Penguin4x4 said:

Monopolowa is damned good for the price if you can find it

Red label George Dickel is another hard to find but amazing for the price spirit.