Welcome to the IHoP v.2

1 hour ago, Penguin4x4 said:

Laughed way too hard...

http://i.imgur.com/LbNliUq.gif

wow and thats why u wear a helmet

and the other clothing he was wearing

lucky for him

well sort of unlucky, but was lucky he was wearing proper attire

For $1000 you could grab a used Canon 70d, 50mm 1.8, 24mm 2.8 STM.  I'd bet for $100 more you could even get the 1.4 50 instead.

Add any of the L 70-200 down the road to it and there is NO situation you can't take amazing shots in.  You'd be out nothing trying to sell any of the above as well if you buy them right.

WAY better to buy used now and figure out what you like and don't.  Real expensive otherwise.  The "Kit" you are looking at is a throw away in 5 ish years where what I threw up will still have a ton of value.  Doesn't mean it won't take great pictures though.  That is more the photographer.

One thing I'd bet though, you won't be using your point and shoot anymore.

I still wouldn't rule out mirrorless though.  That platform will continue to grow.

Sean explained the situation much better.

I get caught up in the weeds on comparing items.

:-D

11 hours ago, sandt38 said:

And honestly as ISO increases the clarity, color, and dynamics all lean more to the Nikon with almost double the effective ISO and 20% better color depth and dynamic range.

Compare at 100, that is where you should shoot.  Only turn that up when you have to, it is the last thing I adjust if I can.

That being said ANY pic that compares ISO better do so in ridiculously low light otherwise the test is super dumb.

If you told me you picked Nikon because of this lens or that lens and needing those I'd be fine with it.  Doing it based on a body is bassakwards.  The body is a transient, the glass not so much.  Resale follows logic.

I opted for a bit more money in glass for flexibility and bought the 17-55is. L quality shots nearly in a plastic body.  I do have the 50mm 1.4 and the 11-16 2.8.  I generally shoot things though and not people.  My kids change that and for portraits the 50mm is great.  In the school and with lots of other kids I need the wider lens.  

The 11mm is fun if you go anyplace with big views.

Perhaps one other bit of clarity.  

D3300 with kit 18-55

10yr old Canon XTi with 50mm 1.4

The Canon will rape the Nikon in every important aspect at 50mm.  Hell even with the 17-55 2.8 I have on that camera I'd much rather shoot it than the D3300.  A body can help glass, but can't make up for not having it.

Just say no to Kit Lens.

If you are really budget limited a used 40D is a ton of body for $180.  Allows for some nice glass.

50d isn't much of an upgrade, 60d too close in price to the 70d

And I do feel the pro-sumer bodies are better, but mostly for control.  They get rid of the stupid auto crap you should never use and focus on the settings you will.

Matt can fill you in better where the used consumer market ones would fit.

Canon/Nikon both have the problem of the leapfrog.  Release new prosumer, next year or 2 the consumer leaps it in some aspect.  For instance at somepoint between the 40d and 70d there is a good used buy.  Not my thing though, I'll take the shutter life of the better body and controls.  For a temporary try out a hobby though they could be good.

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

Nikon

• Excellent image quality with lots of fine detail; Very good high ISO performance; Good dynamic range; Good print quality; Deep buffers with JPEGs; 1080/60p video; Uncompressed HDMI output.

• AF struggles in low-light; Contrast-detect AF in live view is slow; Buffer depth is shallow with RAW files; No AE bracketing; No built-in Wi-Fi.

That is the 3300. What about the 5300?

Sean, while I appreciate it, I struggle to buy used stuff that I am not familiar with. Perhaps if I choose to continue with the hobby and I understand the tools better I would be willing to invest in used gear. But for now doing so is outside of my comfort zone.

Buy something disposable then and start there.  Grab a new 1.4 50mm and a $100 camera body.  Worst case you are out $100.

The way you are shopping is confusing things.  The websites that do reviews normally do so in a way that is biased for a particular reason to show off their preference (imagine that).  All of that is somewhat useless without some practical experience.

There is a strong maturation curve when using a DSLR as well.  ie, you start out wanting to take pictures which is fine, but understanding and setting your aperature and shutter speed is huge.  To learn the tradeoff's just set your ISO to 100 and start playing locking one or the other.  That is also the beauty of the 50mm in that it is such a short focal length you can use relatively low shutter speeds and still be effective which is great when you are first playing in the SLR world.

ALL kit lenses are garbage.  Don't even consider a kit.  Serious waste of budget.

Anything with a lower fstop of higher than 2.8 is also not so interesting.

If you still want to save money and are unsure you can buy used from National Camera or BH Photo.  Both will stand behind the used purchase as well and you should be able to trust their condition statements.  The savings won't be as good, but it is akin to buying new in the comfort zone spectra.

If you go shoot a ton of shots and become comfortable, then when you compare brands you will get a much better feeling.....but again, compare LENSES not bodies.

Also, don't succumb to thinking something like the Tamron 18-270 is a good idea.  It blows kit lenses out of the water, but sucks donkey dick.  And yes, I own one.  Thought it was a great idea initially.

My parents also fell in that trap and have a 28-300 which is at my house if you wanted to try it out.

It is terrible for learning though.  High ass Fstop and Zoom.  Neither help you figure out the camera...

15 hours ago, Florida_Audio said:

wow and thats why u wear a helmet

and the other clothing he was wearing

lucky for him

well sort of unlucky, but was lucky he was wearing proper attire

There was no luck involved in that he was wearing the proper attire. :)

A camera is quickly moving up the priority list as the W and I are planning to start our family.

Looks like I could get into the game around $500.

Not to Hijack Seth's camera talk, but any suggestions? Kid stuff will be first priority with landscapes being second priority.

If I had that budget and was looking for a camera I'd probably go walk into Best Buy and buy a Canon G9X.