Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Be even better to write them in such a way that I can play the melody and the accompaniment at the same time....but I work for a living.  Some day I'll be able to do that quicker!

Ew, Christmas music. . . 

Just an exercise to teach myself complex chord thinking.  Brutally hard with non-simple music so you start with what is simple.  Christmas tunes are retardedly simple.  When you hear the chord changes I use you won't recognize the song anyways as none of the chords are anywhere near the same.  Take the melody away and you'd have no idea.

:eek4spit:

I know someone on here has gotten into radios. I need a setup that can reliably communicate over 3 miles. Flat ground with shrubbery no taller than 8ft. There will be a base, and trucks that need to communicate back and forth.

Ham radio guy right here.   Only 3 miles,  and for commercial use?  Business or personal,  and a budget? 

Also,  how on the up and up do you need to be? 

$1K for a base and 2 mobile units. And I need to be able to teach someone how to operate in 15 minutes

It will be for mostly safety communication in the middle of nowhere. It will be for work.

Business band radios/part 90,  requires an FCC license,  then the company owns that frequency.   I don't know the cost of the license,  can't  be to much.   I would  contact a commercial radio business and talk to them.   

VHF/UHF comms are like of sight units generally,  UHF being better in structures/buildings.   

On the cheap for limited use CBs would work, but CB generally sucks.   Nice thing about "business band" is that is your freq, so no other traffic,  easy to expand.   If you'd like to talk about radios in general or more use limitations feel  free to pm,  we call message,  call or email.   

Training is easy,  push,  talk.   

Commercial shop should get you all set up on license and radios.  I can inquire further into the commercial side if you can't get answers down there.   I'm on the amateur radio side,  doesn't cross over much on procedures.   

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=industrial_business

Aren't there such things as cell phones?

Lack of cell coverage, having to dial and answer, and lack of easy party lines make radios superior for work.  Especially where coverage is non existent or spotty, whereas radios just work.  

Push to talk apps work well.

Coverage...well that I don't get, I grew up and spend time in bum-fuck-nowhere and always have coverage when using an appropriate carrier.  (ie, not T-mobile in rural areas)

Not saying radios aren't useful, but when there is already a "free" technology in place why not use it?

Canon finally got smart.  M5 is a good starting point...but I will wait for next years.  EF lenses don't go away which might make it time for a 70-200 2.8 IS II :)

26 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Push to talk apps work well.

Coverage...well that I don't get, I grew up and spend time in bum-fuck-nowhere and always have coverage when using an appropriate carrier.  (ie, not T-mobile in rural areas)

Lots of areas around home where service is spotty no matter what the carrier is,  especially in low places.   

Communicating between multiple people /areas where people need to hear and be able to interact radios really shine.   

Lots of counties use HAM for storm spotting,  one channel everyone can communicate on, EOC monitors,  dispatches people to different locations.   Stuff  you just can't do off a cell network, plus it always works.   

For most things though, cell works great.   

I renewed our FCC license last year.  It was $350 for 10 years, 1 frequency.

12 hours ago, topgun said:

Business band radios/part 90,  requires an FCC license,  then the company owns that frequency.   I don't know the cost of the license,  can't  be to much.   I would  contact a commercial radio business and talk to them.   

VHF/UHF comms are like of sight units generally,  UHF being better in structures/buildings.   

On the cheap for limited use CBs would work, but CB generally sucks.   Nice thing about "business band" is that is your freq, so no other traffic,  easy to expand.   If you'd like to talk about radios in general or more use limitations feel  free to pm,  we call message,  call or email.   

Training is easy,  push,  talk.   

Commercial shop should get you all set up on license and radios.  I can inquire further into the commercial side if you can't get answers down there.   I'm on the amateur radio side,  doesn't cross over much on procedures.   

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=industrial_business

Lots of French in there for me. We could possibly get away with line of sight, but might be better to not rely on it.

An you point me to a place that has information and maybe some equipment to checkout.

I would honestly look for a local radio place.  They can/will handle everything for you.  It's the best way, IMO.

Line of sight doesn't quite mean you have to see the person for radios.   Two vehicles based radios on flatish ground shouldn't have a problem worth 5-10 miles,  talking to a tall antenna now like 20-30 miles.   

Ryan is right,  find the local commercial radio shop and they will get you set up.   

:coffee:

I can point you at equipment MK,  but getting a professional to set you up is best.   They will need programming to get set up and no point in looking at stuff that your shop of choosing doesn't support.   They should be able to do any  FCC permits with/for you.   

Well, down another 8.5 pounds.  Took 9 days though and cost me 5 pounds of muscle mass and somehow my god damn bf% went up.

I haven't changed 8lbs in over a decade...