Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Are you running wireless?  wondering if I just have the worlds shittiest router lukc.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Decided I am building an RO system for my ice maker/carbonated water/drinking in the house.  Thought I would also run a line to my garage to rinse my car (well water never clear rinses otherwise).  Wondering what sort of volume I may need to do this as I'll have to have enough storage in the basement and flow to keep up.

Will be a low pressure, 1/4" line rinse, but should be better I would assume.  Any thoughts?

I used to have a 90 gallon a day spectrapure system.

https://spectrapure.com/manuals/MPDI.pdf

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Are you running wireless?  wondering if I just have the worlds shittiest router lukc.

I think so, I am on the stick, pretty sure on the box too. I think you have a wifi black hole of a house.  I know my Asus router fixed all my wireless problems vs the ole cheapo.  

All Asus in my house drop out all the time. :(

Have a $180 Linksys atm which doesn't drop, but occasionally hiccups.  I also have ZERO patience btw.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

All Asus in my house drop out all the time. :(

Have a $180 Linksys atm which doesn't drop, but occasionally hiccups.  I also have ZERO patience btw.

Your router luck = Ryan's car luck

I did upgrade from my $16 router. I am currently on a Linksys that my dad got rid of because the Best Buy employee told him routers slow down after so many years.

3 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Your router luck = Ryan's car luck

Love my ZoomZoom!

Initial feedback on my tv setup.

Tablo works great.  Sure there might be other things that do the same, but my primary goal was to stream everything into one source and have one interactive menu.  Tablo allows that and records whatever OTA stuff you want.

Amazon Fire & Roku Sticks:

Amazon jitters sometimes on live sports, Roku doesn't.  Jitter isn't acceptable.

Roku menu system way better when you know what service you need.

Amazon better menu if ONLY you uses it as it remembers everything you click on and offers shit.  This will get annoying with a 5 and 7 year old in my house.

Amazon remote is better.  In feel as well as cosmetically.

Voice search button is sweet on the Amazon remote, but you can't be watching anything when you want to use it...even in the app.  Roku stick doesn't have voice search, but has an app that does that works while you watch something.  A hybrid of this would be sweet...which the Roku 3/4/Premier+/Ultra have I think.

Picture quality of OTA is better than cable...by a lot.  Sling TV streaming is adequate, but hasn't been 100% perfect.  Will try the Vue after my free trial on the sling wears off.

Amazon has better offerings of its own shows than their app.  Way better.

The Squeezebox player for Roku sucks.  If you have playlists or your content sorted in folders nicely it is very easy to find an album/playlist and play it in the player.

I am cancelling my cable this weekend for sure.*

*Have to decide on Roku or Fire by then so I can open what else I ordered, lol

The only bummer is I am Amazon prime and will be regardless of my streaming choice.  Having a streamer that integrates nicely with that doesn't suck.

Sling, Netflix etc apps look the same on both, imagine that, so it is truly only the home interface and Amazon one that are different.  One is better with one and one with the other.

Right now obviously the Amazon solution is off the table due to the streaming performance I saw last night, but I will reserve the final judgement post Sunday at least seeing how it performs on the NFL.

....but if it won't play hockey, I am not using it.

*I do expect that what I use downstairs should be better. Currently testing the stick only but bought full players for the living room so they can be hardwired.  Here I prefer the Roku as well since it has an independent digital audio out.  Only because my Onkyo no longer seems to switch HDMI so to get the audio into the receiver I either need to run two HDMI cables from my basement to my tv or run analog back (boo).  This of course assumes that the TV will output HDMI when getting HDMI in which I imagine is copy protected and may not work.  Haven't tested or searched that yet...

Ok, boo.  TV has an optical out which works...but it is annoying to pull an optical cable where I need to and I already have HDMI's run :(

Which specific models of each are you using?

Is there an option on any of the devices to search every streaming and live platform at once? I used to use a Google TV (I forgot what they called it) and the search feature would allow me to type in a show and it would tell me the next time it would come on TV, or if I could stream it from Netflix, or how much it would cost from different services. It was awesome, but I haven't seen a product do that since.

I have the sticks active atm.  The set "top" boxes I didn't open.

They both search most things, but only streaming content and some apps.  Regrettably neither search any live tv or the Sling TV app.  Those two apps have their own search function, but it isn't voice compatible which for searching you want.

The Roku wins here though IMO as you can search on your phone while you watch something else.  The Fire requires you use the TV to search so it stops whatever is on.

The sticks were $25 and $30 respectively.  Cheapest options for streaming.  It was black Friday when I bought them...

We got 2 baby monitors.... Both suck. One has a monitor the other uses your phone. The one that uses your phone suffers a huge audio feedback issue. The monitor on the other is terrible quality compared to the phone one.

I'd like one that has an always on monitor (one click to turn on screen) but also had a smartphone/remote option.

I tried to talk the wife into using the phone one for video only and a get a nice cheap audio monitor but she wouldn't go for it.

Haha, still going to have one :P

I wish the IP one didn't have the audio issue because it would be fun to use elsewhere afterwards.

Does anyone have tips on places to buy bulbs? I always go searching through Amazon but usually get frustrated with all the options and how expensive LEDs are. Typically I end up sticking with CFLs

I did use an audio only after that period, but for when I was in the garage and even with screams I wouldn't hear.  Allowed me to be away and close by.

I am also contemplating adding one for another reason though.  Our beach and beach firepit is 300 yards from the house.  I'd like to sit there and monitor the house.  Won't use monitors for that though, but security cameras which I find useless for security but useful for prying.

1 minute ago, MKader17 said:

Does anyone have tips on places to buy bulbs? I always go searching through Amazon but usually get frustrated with all the options and how expensive LEDs are. Typically I end up sticking with CFLs

CFL's are useless.

Costco has 100w equivalent LED bulbs on sale right now 10 for $36

Just don't put them in your garage door opener.

You can, but you may have issues. ;)