Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Leaving from FL I assume?  How far are you willing to drive?

Planning on leaving out of Tampa. Could drive to Orlando or just make this a road trip. With a 4 day plan, flying would be the best route.

J

I asked for two reasons.  First outside of some major cities the beauty in North America is the country but you could still do food culture and get country.  2nd, knowing port of departure and time lets you use the el cheapo ticket search from X on Kayak.

https://www.kayak.com/explore/ORL?budget=338

Personally the trip you propose sounds like a good opportunity to go someplace you will never in your life go again.  Sometimes those trips are the best.  Time of year would tell a lot though as well, for instance going to Northern MN even a week after the leaves fall is a huge mistake.  Definitely some place everyone should see but not then.

Assuming the timing of your question I figured something on the mid-Eastern seaboard would make sense....of course you could maybe even drive then which is not a bad idea for photos.

Nashville, Memphis, Charleston, Charlotte, etc.

Tons of neat options further North too, but like N MN at some point it is the wrong time of year to go.

<- having a beer at a brewery in Detroit Lakes, MN at the moment looking at the lake.  Complete deja vu like nuts for me though as I grew up across the lake almost exactly the direction I am looking.

Drove on my old drinking roads today for the first time in 25 years.  Amazing what you remember and don't.

Car is not capable of clearing all speed bumps so I took it off roading, lol

7 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Car is not capable of clearing all speed bumps so I took it off roading, lol

Did you buy something new we don't know about?  Surely the Big Ugly will clear anything.

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I asked for two reasons.  First outside of some major cities the beauty in North America is the country but you could still do food culture and get country.  2nd, knowing port of departure and time lets you use the el cheapo ticket search from X on Kayak.

https://www.kayak.com/explore/ORL?budget=338

Personally the trip you propose sounds like a good opportunity to go someplace you will never in your life go again.  Sometimes those trips are the best.  Time of year would tell a lot though as well, for instance going to Northern MN even a week after the leaves fall is a huge mistake.  Definitely some place everyone should see but not then.

Assuming the timing of your question I figured something on the mid-Eastern seaboard would make sense....of course you could maybe even drive then which is not a bad idea for photos.

The idea is to explore a city I'll probably never have a reason to visit again, to get shots others won't have, and most importantly to have an experience that I kinda shit the bed on a lot in my 20's. I still kick my own ass on missing a lot of opportunities to travel before. I want to rectify that mistake with some buddies I can trust to watch my back.

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Nashville, Memphis, Charleston, Charlotte, etc.

Tons of neat options further North too, but like N MN at some point it is the wrong time of year to go.

Memphis and Nashville are on the list of ideas, but I do want to avoid 'touristy' cities. 3/4 of these cities have touristy reasons to visit. Omaha, Oklahoma City, Cheyenne, Little Rock, etc. all are cities people don't usually visit to photograph.

Call it something 'dumb' for no other reason than it just sounds fun.

J

J I don't know about fun cities, but if you want to have fun while shooting, make all your photos themed.  As in make it a project.

"In going to snap a shot of every XXXX I see in this city."

Of course take a bunch of other things, but if you want to grow, pick a theme and aim at creating a gallery.   Your photos will go crazy from there.

5 hours ago, dem beats said:

J I don't know about fun cities, but if you want to have fun while shooting, make all your photos themed.  As in make it a project.

"In going to snap a shot of every XXXX I see in this city."

Of course take a bunch of other things, but if you want to grow, pick a theme and aim at creating a gallery.   Your photos will go crazy from there.

I was thinking of theming the series around the architecture and setup of the city. Kind of a 'street photography' idea. Walk the first day with the 50mm and go from there.

J

I would try to be more specific.  Also, use anon social media to check things out from locals.  When I was on the east coast I used whisper a ton to just ask rando's what's up.  

Maybe try to shoot every food truck you see.... or every taco.  Make it up based on where you go, but the more specific, and less general you are the better your pics will be.

When I walk around here I go with a mission.  Of course I take a ton more, but putting a focus on a subject matter allows your creativity to work much better.  It will also push your technical skills if you limit your lenses too.

Another interesting deal with the German turd. . . . .  The B6 and B7 A4s use a special wiper blade mounting arrangement.  The ONLY way to attain blades is to order them.  WTF?!

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

I was thinking of theming the series around the architecture and setup of the city. Kind of a 'street photography' idea. Walk the first day with the 50mm and go from there.

J

IMO the 50mm and architecture do not go hand in hand.

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

Especially on a crop sensor actually.  Good call.

4 hours ago, MKader17 said:

3 hours ago, dem beats said:

Especially on a crop sensor actually.  Good call.

Full frame D750 is what I'm using these days. The 50 would have been for basic street shots, and the 70-200 for others. Possibly bring a 24-70 with me as well.

J

Ah full frame. Yeah, with my crop I feel like I'm 2 miles away from a building and can't frame it in any meaningful way.

Almost like hitting the lottery, but I found sumac and now covered in the damn shit!

You poor bastard!  That shit sucks!

I was trimming the bushes and came across this tree like branch and trimmed it as well. To my surprise to gave me a gift. Just out looking at it because now I know what to look for and it is covering a large area. Tomorrow I will be covered in tyvec and rubber getting to the roots!

9 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I'm going to the bank first thing in the morning!

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/ford-galaxie-500/6272606398.html

Looks awesome for the price!