Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

With fat chicks if you want to add weights to your routine.

Remember martha the big cheerleader in the try outs in that dogeball movie with ben stiller? I felt so sorry for that guy that was trying out to be a cheerleader having to lift her...That movie still gives me nightmares...

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Core, legs, lungs.

What's kept me the happiest is...

Lift 1-3x per week - I do Stronglifts and only do squats, bench, overhead press, dead lift and rows.

• Legs, core (early)
  • Lungs (as the weights get heavy)

Sprints 1x per week - Takes less than 15 minutes to hit your max (including warm up)

• Lungs, core, legs

Leisure (as much as possible) - Hike, bike, sports. Snowmobile in your case

• It's like getting rewarded to have fun

When I do this regiment, the regiment doesn't take over my life. I find it easier to control my eating to days where I need it, and I find that the lifting and sprints, minute for minute, does more than cardio or volume lifting has ever done for me.

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Core, legs, lungs.

You have an elliptical and cable machine?

Lungs and cardio are easiest. Keep a slow/medium pace and then throw in intermitant sprints/ as high intensity as you can take for as long as you can take.  Start with 15 min of cardio with 3x30 second balls to the walls sprints.  Work it up to 30 min with 6x90-120 second rips.  You will be showing up 20 year olds.

Do it on the fat bike if you wanna get outside. Or as ryan said, rodeo in some Holstein. 

43 minutes ago, dem beats said:

You have an elliptical and cable machine?

Lungs and cardio are easiest. Keep a slow/medium pace and then throw in intermitant sprints/ as high intensity as you can take for as long as you can take.  Start with 15 min of cardio with 3x30 second balls to the walls sprints.  Work it up to 30 min with 6x90-120 second rips.  You will be showing up 20 year olds.

Do it on the fat bike if you wanna get outside. Or as ryan said, rodeo in some Holstein. 

Ok, start with intervals.  I don't quite follow the 3x30.  I can tell you that when my heart hits 180 and I am on a bike that I start to lose vision.  I can however hold 170 for 5mi +.  Are you saying as close to the 180 without falling for only 30 seconds?  How much cool down then before the next.

As for strength building I figured situps, push ups and pull ups ought to do it....but I know jack.  And yes I have a cable machine and an elliptical and a running path right next to the house.  I am actually more worried about the strength than the cardio.  I am not fit by any means but I am capable of sustaining beyond most of my friends including some that work out.  I do that through dexterity, not fitness.  As for the strength I am a balls to the walls sort of guy so the first day I water skied this year I took 3 runs and then couldn't bend my arms for 4 days after.  I need to avoid that...

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

What's kept me the happiest is...

Lift 1-3x per week - I do Stronglifts and only do squats, bench, overhead press, dead lift and rows.

• Legs, core (early)
  • Lungs (as the weights get heavy)

Sprints 1x per week - Takes less than 15 minutes to hit your max (including warm up)

• Lungs, core, legs

Leisure (as much as possible) - Hike, bike, sports. Snowmobile in your case

• It's like getting rewarded to have fun

When I do this regiment, the regiment doesn't take over my life. I find it easier to control my eating to days where I need it, and I find that the lifting and sprints, minute for minute, does more than cardio or volume lifting has ever done for me.

Lets, core, lungs, leisure - these are all foreign concepts to me.  I know as much about lifting with my legs as Ryan knows about making a Mornay sauce from scratch.

23 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Ok, start with intervals.  I don't quite follow the 3x30.  I can tell you that when my heart hits 180 and I am on a bike that I start to lose vision.  I can however hold 170 for 5mi +.  Are you saying as close to the 180 without falling for only 30 seconds?  How much cool down then before the next.

As for strength building I figured situps, push ups and pull ups ought to do it....but I know jack.  And yes I have a cable machine and an elliptical and a running path right next to the house.  I am actually more worried about the strength than the cardio.  I am not fit by any means but I am capable of sustaining beyond most of my friends including some that work out.  I do that through dexterity, not fitness.  As for the strength I am a balls to the walls sort of guy so the first day I water skied this year I took 3 runs and then couldn't bend my arms for 4 days after.  I need to avoid that...

3x30 in this context means that 3 times, durring a 15 min session of whatever cardio you choose, you give it 100% of everything you can for 30 seconds.  Obviously don't kill yourself, but it should make you gasp.  After the 30 seconds, you go back to your mild pace.  I like once ever 5 min.  You don't stop, your cool down is whatever you set your pace to.  Don't get too caught up in heart rate yet.  You have never pushed your performance like this so you have no idea what to expect.

The goal is to build yourself up so that you can sustain a balls out pace for as long as possible.  There are a ton of reasons why this will help you with core strength too that we won't get into, but if you do this as wind sprints your core will really really see changes.

Edited by dem beats

No sit ups or crunches, they will do more to hurt your lower back.  How are you with planks?

Push ups are amazing, but can you do a hand stand? It's my single body weight focus now.  Shoulder, forearm, and core development.  

Sean are you still having that lower back pain? We might need to strengthen your erectors upper glutes and fuck with your hip flexors.

12 minutes ago, dem beats said:

3x30 in this context means that 3 times, durring a 15 min session of whatever cardio you choose, you give it 100% of everything you can for 30 seconds.  Obviously don't kill yourself, but it should make you gasp.  After the 30 seconds, you go back to your mild pace.  I like once ever 5 min.  You don't stop, your cool down is whatever you set your pace to.  Don't get too caught up in heart rate yet.  You have never pushed your performance like this so you have no idea what to expect.

Ha, that is how I do everything.  Balls out until I can't then rest at a slower pace and repeat.  I interval everything in my life...only reason I am in any shape at all.

Every 5 minutes I can easily do 30 seconds of balls out.  My only reason for bringing in heart rate is that it is always my limit.  I suppose I could downshift and mash and make it my legs but that I think still would have my heart be the limiting factor.

6 minutes ago, dem beats said:

No sit ups or crunches, they will do more to hurt your lower back.  How are you with planks?

Push ups are amazing, but can you do a hand stand? It's my single body weight focus now.  Shoulder, forearm, and core development.  

Sean are you still having that lower back pain? We might need to strengthen your erectors upper glutes and fuck with your hip flexors.

I have a big ball I can do them on.  On the floor they would hurt.

My back does not hurt anymore.  It is VERY easy to make it tired though and feel like it is on the edge.  My vertabrae are also wound tight and need the reinforcement you describe.

I've never been able to even come close to a handstand.  More of a balance problem than strength but I think you were inferring that anyways.

I have a Hoist V6 and an Octane 47e

q47-2.jpg?1502289943

v6_product_accrack-copy2.jpg

Open to whatever.  I need something that changes quickly so I don't get bored.  Functionally rotating quickly through things to try to do 40min worth in 20min is better for me.  Probably not the greatest for getting to my end goal but I need to stay focused somehow.

That elliptical is serious money! When I was looking to replace mine I was looking at that, precor, and sole.

I would take that elliptical and set it for cardio hill climbing. 

31 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Ha, that is how I do everything.  Balls out until I can't then rest at a slower pace and repeat.  I interval everything in my life...only reason I am in any shape at all.

Every 5 minutes I can easily do 30 seconds of balls out.  My only reason for bringing in heart rate is that it is always my limit.  I suppose I could downshift and mash and make it my legs but that I think still would have my heart be the limiting factor.

Stretch the 30 seconds balls out to 60 seconds, then 90, etc.

I like every 5 min.  YMMV but I think it's the best.

Go ride a bike or hike a steep mountain for legs and cardio. Weighted side bends, inverted sit ups, inverted push ups and rolling planks for core.

31 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I have a big ball I can do them on.  On the floor they would hurt.

My back does not hurt anymore.  It is VERY easy to make it tired though and feel like it is on the edge.  My vertabrae are also wound tight and need the reinforcement you describe.

I've never been able to even come close to a handstand.  More of a balance problem than strength but I think you were inferring that anyways.

Yup.

I really don't like crunches or Anything like it, but you will know your body.  A handstand is working your core how it should work.  

Can you door those rolly pollys I linked to? Bend forward and then roll backwards bringing your toes behind You? That would work your core a trillion times more than a crunch.  Even stationary flying V sit ups are better and better on your back.  Or planks.  Planks are gangster.  Weighted plants even more. 

I also have an octane.

Q47ci

....not only did we also get the same elliptical brand, my rack, bench, and add one are all hoist too.

Hahahahhahahaha

Sean , a really good rule of thumb for working out your core is, the more your core is in motion durring an exercise, the less you are using it and probably the more likely you are to get an injury.  

Exercises that encourage you to girdle yourself with your inner and then exterior abdominal wall and then have you push/pull against that base develop your core and good spinal health.  

I like the cirque stuff.  I figured for my needs my own body was enough resistance...but have no idea.  Need to start somewhere as my nearly 45 year old body is no longer 16.

I don't really care about the cardio, but only because that is only a matter of motivation for me.  The rest I am clueless on.

Starting the stretches in 10...

Stretches alone have me dripping in sweat.  Would you add any other stretch post bike ride?

I feel like those stretches are probably the cure for my back pain.  Some I couldn't do for the full 60 seconds due to the complete lack of flexibility I have, but that will get better and where they put pressure/almost pain is exactly where I am too short that is pulling on my back.  I feel WAY looser and better afterwards!

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Stretches alone have me dripping in sweat.  Would you add any other stretch post bike ride?

Yes, stretch your arm in the fridge and grab a beer. :fing34:

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I feel like those stretches are probably the cure for my back pain.  Some I couldn't do for the full 60 seconds due to the complete lack of flexibility I have, but that will get better and where they put pressure/almost pain is exactly where I am too short that is pulling on my back.  I feel WAY looser and better afterwards!

I'm not sure for after a bike ride.  I would want to say this hips down abdominal scratch, but I don't think you need it.