Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

22 minutes ago, dem beats said:

@mikel7829

Right on man, should be nice stuff. I'm  still not sure what tools you want in your combo pack, but as mentioned the middle of the pack is all pretty good when it comes to the drills.

Everything else is really case by case.

Thats actually got everything I was wanting pretty much.Drill,little impact driver,sawzaw,and little circular saw.Just the very basics

Tin gets cut with a skill saw with the blade backwards, not a grinder.   

I've got Makita at home that is on its last leg, dewalt and Milwaukee fuel at work.  For non professional work items I don't see buying what I can't go to the local big box store and buy.   

1 hour ago, topgun said:

Tin gets cut with a skill saw with the blade backwards, not a grinder.   

I got a attachment somewhere that goes on the head of the drill for cutting sheet metal. But yea turning the blade around works wonders too.I got a set of big Malco shears that will cut about anything.

Burns a little more when you lose a 10pm game and you have to be at the office at 7am.

8 hours ago, mikel7829 said:

Thats actually got everything I was wanting pretty much.Drill,little impact driver,sawzaw,and little circular saw.Just the very basics

Right on.  Keep the batteries topped off and the drill and wrench will probably last you a while.

I have little faith in the cutting tools however.

Unless you go HAM.

That new 60V saw is probably gangster.  If your snipping non pressure treated 2x4s, it will do it.  I looked it up and that thing draws up to 54 volts!  Shazam.  So, that isn't too bad, watched some videos on it ripping and cross cutting and hey, that might be a saw worth having "in the field".

They even make some work drives now lol. That's got to be heavy.

The take home message is this @mikel7829. If you end up at a place that has an outlet and a work horse or a clamp, basically any cordless set from the major HD brands will get the job done in the normal "get what you pay for" fashion. Ryobi will make you mad, and you will have to be ginger.  The red Wisconsin brand will probably give you the biggest pants tent.  Team yellow is really trying to "Bang for the buck" you to death and have a dizzying array of options and Lego that works with one tool but not the next, and sometimes adapters work, but some don't etc etc etc. 

If you end up somewhere that you only have your batteries and tools, and may be a car inverter, your going to get the drill and wrench to do a little bit of work, but if your fucking with wet wood, pressure treated, composite, or got forbid some kind of mineral or metal, you are gonna be fucked.  I'm a 300 pound silverback and I'm ginger AF to my tools but I can't name a tool that can chew shit as fast as I can feed it.  Double that problem if you don't have anything to steady your material.

Think of it like this Mike.  In a car, your enclosure and how you prep your environment will make a bigger impact on the sound than what brand of mid road moofer you buy.  Get it?

Edited by dem beats

14 hours ago, mikel7829 said:

Ok that awnsers my question then.lol

Any suggestions on any combo kits maybe in the $300 range?

All "combos" in that range are disposable.

14 hours ago, dem beats said:

http://pressurewashr.com/tool-industry-behemoths/#whoowns

This is pretty cool.  Not sure if it's current but it looks close.

Makita is good, but sometimes the other guys catch up with them.  Hilti is contract stuff.  They will repair the tools, and the tools have less engineered failure.

Interesting indeed.  So now I will only shop: Hitachi, ITW, Bosch, Makita or Snap-on and their respective underlings.

14 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I used to be a Hilti and Bosch snob myself.  I purchased a Ridgid set because I was sick of replacing batteries and Ridgid has a lifetime warranty on theirs.  My $200 drill and impact kit gets constant abuse, and never misses a lick.  I am still on the original batteries 2 years later.  My other tools would eat batteries every  5-6 months, so I will be buying Ridgid from here on out. 

The owner of my company recently invested in a new Ridgid table say and compound miter saw as well, and I am duly impressed with their power tools as well.

I did the same; however, my Ridgid batteries are completely shot.  Going to see how HD deals with me here shortly.  Stuff is around 10yrs old though.  Not exactly sure the date since it was in this house, but I think pretty early on.  Could be 8.  24v LI so the early ones.

13 hours ago, dem beats said:

Nothing wrong with dewalt.  I want their corded grinder, and the guys who have their drills can keep up with my Makita no problem now.   I think dewalt got the best combination of the order of scale.  The stuff that got cheaper no one cares about and some of the problems they have had gone away.  Your batter comment is true for a bunch on the older units.  I have always used Makita as they used better internal cells and tech for the battery.  Forget the tool parts even, they made better juice boxes and got more from them.  Probably used better individual cells. Now all the big brands use good LG, Samsung, or "custom" 18650s.  The lower end stuff usually goes cheep on those consumables. So I am 100% in agreement that the gap has closed, but so has the price gap.  The best tools in the world are now accessible to me and aren't an order of magnitude more.  Just significantly more.

I am on my only Makita drill in my life and it got daily use for 2 summers and the batteries there are still fine too.  The Chuck is toast now, got some death wobble to her, but no home owner would know or care.  Same 2 batteries and it's been left in way below zero and still came back somehow. I do try to keep them topped off however and swap them before I feel it loose too much power.  I'm sure both batteries only have 50% of the stank on them now, but that's fine foe how little I swing it.  Next time I'll go whole hog, or just buy a new 18v pack if I'm not working on projects.

I am now on the other side of where you are, i dont want to get jobs done, I constantly find myself looking for more precision, power, or durability from my tools.  I want a better time when i use my toys... er i mean tools.

I will say that crapsman router is the biggest disappointment ever. It looks so beastly and had all the right numbers on the box.  What crap.  Time to get a 220 installed in the garage and a real fucking router. 

No need for 220v for a real router. https://www.tylertool.com/hitachi-m12v2-3-1-4-hp-variable-speed-plunge-base-router/hitnm12v2,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=723&zmap=hitnm12v2&gclid=CjwKCAiAk4XUBRB5EiwAHBLUMV0-bHVL99pWA4r8TRcLWLlXbnOUriJcZr1fn-kKIuXTYJXYv6uyIBoCL3kQAvD_BwE

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

I did the same; however, my Ridgid batteries are completely shot.  Going to see how HD deals with me here shortly.  Stuff is around 10yrs old though.  Not exactly sure the date since it was in this house, but I think pretty early on.  Could be 8.  24v LI so the early ones.

Are the batteries covered in that replacement deal?

13 hours ago, topgun said:

For infrequent use I'd just buy a ryobi set and be done with it.   

For infrequent use I'd deal with the cable and run ones you plug in.  Obviously adding an el cheapo battery powered drill from whomever discounted the fuck out of something.

13 hours ago, topgun said:

Skill saw and the clean up corners will be fairly fast.   A harbor freight jigsaw would also work fine too.

Or use my Bosch Jigsaw

12 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Go test out the Ryobi's chuck and compare it to others.  I guarantee you won't buy it simply for that reason alone.

The Ridgid chuck on my newer 18v is also a POS.  Works fine with bits that are hex, but round...sucks.

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

I'll tell you exactly why j didn't even look at this.

They put >2.5 HP on that box.  And it looks like a cartoon.  And i have never owned anything hitachi.  Thank you for the link!  Im going to look into it!  It pulls 15 amps though so it's definately making the shorts snug.

If all else fails, I'll just buy a mill and flip it upside down.  :D:D

32 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Right on.  Keep the batteries topped off and the drill and wrench will probably last you a while.

I have little faith in the cutting tools however.

I have both, albeit with more voltage.  You are correct.  Anything more than junk wood neither the sawzall or circular saw will cut.  ie, a few boards sure but don't use them for a job.  Nice you can carry them to the basement to cut 2 boards but any use beyond that and my corded makita's come out.

6 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Are the batteries covered in that replacement deal?

Supposed to be...but they don't have those batteries anymore so it ought to be interesting.

3 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I'll tell you exactly why j didn't even look at this.

They put >2.5 HP on that box.  And it looks like a cartoon.  And i have never owned anything hitachi.  Thank you for the link!  Im going to look into it!  It pulls 15 amps though so it's definately making the shorts snug.

If all else fails, I'll just buy a mill and flip it upside down.  :D:D

That is the newer version  of the defacto standard router.  I've used one and it makes my PC combo feel like a fucking toy.  The older version did not look like it came from transformers, but 1960 Hitachi lol.

This is the wrong HP, but the old version.

s-l1600.jpg

Just to give you an idea.  A used 3.25hp I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

In other words, don't buy based on my link but make sure to find the 3 1/4 hp M12 variant that makes sense.  It may be my link.

40 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

This is the wrong HP, but the old version.

s-l1600.jpg

Just to give you an idea.  A used 3.25hp I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Hahaha

That looks like some hardware from some Manhattan project reject bin.  Gorgeous.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

The Ridgid chuck on my newer 18v is also a POS.  Works fine with bits that are hex, but round...sucks.

That's the problem I was having with the Ryobis.

When doing log work we used Makita and Dewalt for almost everything. From the 16" saw to the mortise cutter to 12" planers. That 16" saw would separate the men from the boys real quick. lol

Related imageImage result for makita mortise machineImage result for makita 12 planer