Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Got to use a Stihl 291 and a Husky 55 today.

Pretty much sold me on either the Echo or Dolmar/Makita Mag case 40 or 50cc saw.  Considering we have nearly no dealer support for the Makita directly, I will probably grab one of the Echo's and call it a day.  Echo 20% sale is upcoming here in Sept.

There is a used Stihl 026 here which is an option as well, but they have to come WAY down on price.

33 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Got to use a Stihl 291 and a Husky 55 today.

Pretty much sold me on either the Echo or Dolmar/Makita Mag case 40 or 50cc saw.  Considering we have nearly no dealer support for the Makita directly, I will probably grab one of the Echo's and call it a day.  Echo 20% sale is upcoming here in Sept.

What turned you off the Germans and Swedes?

If you don't buy autotune they dumb down the saw or charge way more for the same thing.  The non-pro Stihl & Husky are a joke value wise.

I am not turned off on the German's though.  The Dolmar is German.

I can't buy a clamshell/plastic crank case.   Just opposed.  I am also not paying Autotune prices, nor do I want that tech.  Leaves not so many choices.

Power to weight the previously American Echo is the winner.

The 291 was a pig.  The 55 gutless.

That being said, if I were going to buy a big dog it would be a Stihl all the way.  In the higher cc models that is a no brainer.  The Dolmar would potentially be on the list, but no Husky.

The consumer / prosumer market they just don't focus on.

That all makes a lot of sense.  Too bad they dont care about the smaller saws.

I forgot Dolmar was German.  The echo saws all seem quite powerful in that range.  I'm surprised they dont have some electronics snuck in.  Echo is Japanese now, is it's parent brand a good name? It sounded familiar when I looked it up.  Not sure why I would have ever heard it before.

Edited by dem beats

Well, I have a loaner for a recall.

The 530e hybrid with loaded features is nice to be inside until I mash the go pedal.

Sound system is bangin though.  40mph is electric only and that's kind of cute.

1 minute ago, topgun said:

Is your BMW ever NOT in the shop?

I'm just pretty vocal about it.  My expedition had even more troubles.  My Cavalier basically never functioned the way it was supposed to.  It drove, but things fell off.  Literally. Parts just fell off for no reason. 

That said, you're not wrong.

Anyone care to help an idiot out?  

This trolling motor is a 24v motor, wiring in a marine battery selector switch for a future battery bank addition.  Normally I would wire that to go from the + lead on the high side battery to the selector then to the motor.  But there is this line in the manual...  Are they saying to switch the negative lead instead?  

Automatic Jump Start Systems and Selector Switches Automatic jump start systems and selector switches tie the negatives of the connected batteries together. Connecting these systems to the “High Side” Battery or “Middle” Battery in the diagrams below and will cause significant damage to your trolling motor and electronics. The only trolling motor battery that is safe to connect to one of these systems is the “Low Side” Battery

What the hell is a high or low side battery??  That makes absolutely no sense to me.  It's a power source, not a transformer.

Low side being the battery with the negative post, high side being the one with the open positive post.  Two 12v batteries wired in series.  

58 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I'm just pretty vocal about it.  My expedition had even more troubles.  My Cavalier basically never functioned the way it was supposed to.  It drove, but things fell off.  Literally. Parts just fell off for no reason. 

That said, you're not wrong.

Are you cursed?  

My work truck is a 2016 GMC Sierra, it's got some random misfire that puts it in limp mode randomly them goes away.  Dealer is trying to figure it out.  Haven't had much luck yet.  

11 minutes ago, topgun said:

Low side being the battery with the negative post, high side being the one with the open positive post.  Two 12v batteries wired in series.  

Only reason I could imagine they want the negative switched is to remove any ground potential and possibility for arcing.

I suppose that could be?  

I tried calling them but of course I called 6 minutes after their tech support closed.  

So if your switching the negative do you tie the positive together then on the banks.  

Either that or switch them as well.  Of course, that's pointless as you'll always have an incomplete circuit on one bank.

1 hour ago, topgun said:

Are you cursed?  

My work truck is a 2016 GMC Sierra, it's got some random misfire that puts it in limp mode randomly them goes away.  Dealer is trying to figure it out.  Haven't had much luck yet.  

I think so.  Car trouble, horrible looks, and arthritis to make up for my giant penis.

I'll take my average penis to not be cursed in vehicles and arthritis.  

On 8/28/2018 at 6:56 PM, dem beats said:

Hey Russia just sent out the biggest naval fleet ever to Syria waters claiming that the U.S. and our allies is going to stage another chemical attack from Syrian rebels to justify another air strike.So I guess they intend to defend Syria from us if we interfere Idk.

Hey Russia just sent out the biggest naval fleet ever to Syria waters claiming that the U.S. and our allies is going to stage another chemical attack from Syrian rebels to justify another air strike.So I guess they intend to defend Syria from us if we interfere Idk.

Wow...why did that triple post????lol

Is the selector switch for the rest of the boat and not the trolling?  I am not sure I follow what you are doing.

Classically the built in charger gets wired direct to each battery, trolling motor batteries wired in series and they aren't used for anything else.  Can't run 24v and 12v double current at the same time.  Normally the switch is to switch between starting batteries.  If they imply switching the negative it is only for convenience.  Personally I switch the positive.  Either way you can't throw the switch while under power.

I don't think I answered your question, but I don't know what you are adding either.  My current boat has 3 batteries running two independent 12v circuits or one 12v circuit via switch.  Previous boat to that had 4 batteries, but it was a 36v bank and a 12v starting bank.