Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I think I’m pretty decided on replacing the rear spring packs on the Xterra for my lift. Contemplated add-a-leafs and/or lift shackles but both just seem like a Band-Aid. Not to mention the factory springs have 190k on them.

On the plus Alcan spring is only about an hour for me.

Afternoon coffee needed.

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Afternoon coffee needed.

On my second 20 ounce red bull lol.

My patience for bullshit this week is nil. Just had to let another person go.

5 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Which ones are you looking at?

I want a sport quad, but need IRS for where I will ride.  Leaves the Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS (KTM motor) and the Honda TRX700XX.  Leaning towards the Honda because it is physically bigger.  Yes a Scrambler or Renegade 4x4 would also be fine, but to get the 850 or 1000 motor it is just more than I am willing to spend and bet they won't be as much fun.

Maybe all my reasoning is wrong, but I'd like to simulate how I ride a sled.  If I can't get the skis up and air it out over road approaches it just won't do.  I know those 800lb gorillas with awd will do that, but with the requirement of needing more speed to do so.  Figure if I shave off 3/8ths of the weight, including a ton off the front it ought to hang the front tires much more easily and make it more fun in those circumstances.

I fully expect to get stuck more in the muddy sections...or at least get muddier as I will need more momentum than the big dogs.

Neighbor and his friends all have 850 Sportsmans/Scramblers that I will be riding with.

Single cylinder 685cc , chain drive, manual transmission, no gauges, but Fuel injection.  SUPER easy to work on and shares a lot of simple parts with the TRX motocross machines.

Top speed of a bit under 80 when tuned up right.

Happy to see a few Hellions out there. :)

Haven't been in the game for a while but what about modding a Brute Force 750?

I have an 05, in that time there were guys doing mods to the clutches to give more down low and up to 80. Remove some racks (like I hope your buddies did) and save some weight.

If you plan on catching mad air the sport quad will be waaay more enjoyable. 

You know me. I’d buy the Honda, just because I know I’d never have worry about working on it.

Probably the sportiest 4x4 I’ve rode was the Kawi’ 700 Prairie. The CVT tranny was nice. No jerky shifting. Felt just like riding a sled.

jumped better than any others I’ve rode, but still didn’t land like a sport.

Put In 55 hours this week. I must be a glutton for punishment because I am going on in on my Saturday tomorrow. 

Can’t complain as everyone is MC Hammer rich this time of year and just throwing Mad Money at me.

Bring on the flesh!!!!!

Shit, I MC Hammer broke.  Every time I get caught up another medical bill it crazy thing happens.

13 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Haven't been in the game for a while but what about modding a Brute Force 750?

I have an 05, in that time there were guys doing mods to the clutches to give more down low and up to 80. Remove some racks (like I hope your buddies did) and save some weight.

It is a 4x4 trail/mud cruiser not a sport quad....however, if after I ride I find out that a sport quad won't work on our trails I am glad you pointed it out.  Never would I have thought of a Kawy.  Hard when you live in Poo country.

7 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

If you plan on catching mad air the sport quad will be waaay more enjoyable. 

You know me. I’d buy the Honda, just because I know I’d never have worry about working on it.

I don't know about mad...but I definitely want to get it off the ground.  Hell I built a snowmobile that flies on purpose.

That and when I peaked at the website you see stuff that is this ugly

ac54oqui.wxk.jpg?h=900

Which is too bad, because the previous generation looks pretty good

low_res_3_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1527714333

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

I don't know about mad...but I definitely want to get it off the ground.  Hell I built a snowmobile that flies on purpose.

Any HO 4x4 will easily get off the ground. It’s the landing that’s not so smooth. Any I have rode where just to front heavy. Land on the fronts and only the lord knows which way it will sail from there.

3 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Shit, I MC Hammer broke.  Every time I get caught up another medical bill it crazy thing happens.

That’s no fun.

1 hour ago, j-roadtatts said:

Any HO 4x4 will easily get off the ground. It’s the landing that’s not so smooth. Any I have rode where just to front heavy. Land on the fronts and only the lord knows which way it will sail from there.

As well as being able to loft the front helps when things aren't as you thought they were going to be once you get close.  

4 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I'm getting my teeth kicked in the dirt financially myself.  I hope you find a way out of it ASAP brochacho!