Jump to content
Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Recommended Posts

At the airport en route to Germany.  Been doing reasonably well at staying home more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broccoli is best tossed in Olive oil and roasted on the oven too it's ugly looking, tasty and little crispy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much any veg tastes great roasted.  Super high temp, well seasoned and not over cooked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cauliflower is like crack that way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Cauliflower is like crack that way

Roasted cauliflower?? What is that madness??

 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking yummy.  My kids FIGHT over it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok you have my attention, I'd be interested in trying this out.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get ready to do more dishes than you are used to if you follow my cooking instructions.  That and practice your KNIFE SKILLS.  By far the most important element for those really starting to spend more time in the kitchen.  If the prep takes forever, you won't cook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Get ready to do more dishes than you are used to if you follow my cooking instructions.  That and practice your KNIFE SKILLS.  By far the most important element for those really starting to spend more time in the kitchen.  If the prep takes forever, you won't cook.

I've got a terrific Mexican snuggle buddy, and she does dishes and shit all the time. No problem there. Knife skills need work, and I could use better knives down the line.

 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shitty knives can cut fine, but don't hold an edge.  The proper use of them will teach you which to buy.

As for knives...95% of my knife work is with one knife.  A 10" French style chef knife.  Along with that a somewhat cheap serrated bread knife and a small paring knife should cover nearly 99.9% of all necessary cutting.  Most likely an 8" knife will fit you better than a 10 as well, but a set of knives is the biggest waste of money in the kitchen.  Buying a knife or 2 that do what you need on the other hand the best money you can spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 7:31 AM, ///M5 said:

J - if you want to try B. Sprouts.  Here is what I would normally do.  Clean them, blanch in boiling water for 2-3min, shock in ice water, cut in half, grab some animal fat (duck fat or bacon fat from the fridge, render some bacon in a pan, etc) and get a pan nearly smoking hot.  Add the fat and distribute in the pan, then fry the brussels sprouts until they are golden brown.  Pan should be hot enough you can't leave the stove.

I chose a shaved version of this at a local bar for my lunch.  $6happy hour and it's possibly the best thing on the menue and if I made it I would use even less fat.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, Godsmack said:

That's a lot to take in on green veggies LOL

 

I'll have to consider these ideas. The salt is my concern. How much sodium would they pick up from the salt water cooking?

 

J

J, I don't think you have a sodium problem.

 

I think you have low potassium and water intake.  My suggestion is to salting as Sean mentioned for a month.  Get another blood test and then go from there.

 

I'm not going to Harp on for hours but I have helped people completely change their body comp, blood work numbers, and performance dramatically.  Here is a lesson that I have had to relearn over and over and it's what Sean is trying to teach you in a different way.

 

To be healthy, you cannot simply remove some type of food from your diet and expect any reasonable results unless your diet is pretty good already.  AKA you cannot be healthy without these vegis most likely, and the sodium number you are seeing probably has more to do with the rest of your diet being "junk".  Junk is ANYTHING processed that you did not process yourself, and some things that are natural can be junk too, depending on goals.  Anecdotally you have to get in the vegis before you can blame your high sodium on "too much salt".

 

Less anecdotally,  you probably deficient on potassium and other related nutrients.  Your water balance is off then, along with synapse and metabolism.  A few things you can try to help yourself.... leafy greens and high nitrate ones especially.  Beats, I think turbo(arugula), and high potassium stuff like spinach,  avocado, and watching massive starch or sugar intake.  Sugar can screw with water as much as other electrolytes in some cases.  Also fake sugars and packaged salty foods are not the same as table salt.

 

One last thing.... salt is not salt.  For coating meat and in most cooking I use kosher salt.  However I'm trying to incorporate iodized salt.  I'm pretty sure that someone with my metabolism is not getting optimal iodine and I havent figured out how to add wakame into meals every day....  so you could try eliminating all pre salted foods if possible and using iodized salt.  Lost of active men don't really understand that they are starving for some of the most basic nutrients and while our government did good things like add iodine to everything so we don't die, those who might want to live a bit harder than a sedentary 2000kcal life need extra.

 

So J, add in an extra liter of water to your day for a month.  Do your best.

Eat all the greens you can and salt the frick out of them if it gets you to eat them.  

Do not eat packaged food, especially sugary or salty.  These things, even when diet or low sodium,  will affect your electrolytes and water ballance and in order to protect your nervous system and metabolism your body will slow down and store salt.  It's why some people really puff up for a day when trying to deplete salt before some magazine shoot for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Shitty knives can cut fine, but don't hold an edge.  The proper use of them will teach you which to buy.

As for knives...95% of my knife work is with one knife.  A 10" French style chef knife.  Along with that a somewhat cheap serrated bread knife and a small paring knife should cover nearly 99.9% of all necessary cutting.  Most likely an 8" knife will fit you better than a 10 as well, but a set of knives is the biggest waste of money in the kitchen.  Buying a knife or 2 that do what you need on the other hand the best money you can spend.

I only have knife sets because they were both gifts. I haven't spent good money on solid knives due to having a smaller kitchen. I'm honestly trying to push extra cash while in school towards getting ready to buying a home. I'm over renting, and don't have any desire to move from this area. We'll see what happens after I graduate.

12 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I chose a shaved version of this at a local bar for my lunch.  $6happy hour and it's possibly the best thing on the menue and if I made it I would use even less fat.

 

 

I'm interested on how this would look/taste anyways.

 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dem beats said:

J, I don't think you have a sodium problem.

 

I think you have low potassium and water intake.  My suggestion is to salting as Sean mentioned for a month.  Get another blood test and then go from there.

 

I'm not going to Harp on for hours but I have helped people completely change their body comp, blood work numbers, and performance dramatically.  Here is a lesson that I have had to relearn over and over and it's what Sean is trying to teach you in a different way.

 

To be healthy, you cannot simply remove some type of food from your diet and expect any reasonable results unless your diet is pretty good already.  AKA you cannot be healthy without these vegis most likely, and the sodium number you are seeing probably has more to do with the rest of your diet being "junk".  Junk is ANYTHING processed that you did not process yourself, and some things that are natural can be junk too, depending on goals.  Anecdotally you have to get in the vegis before you can blame your high sodium on "too much salt".

 

Less anecdotally,  you probably deficient on potassium and other related nutrients.  Your water balance is off then, along with synapse and metabolism.  A few things you can try to help yourself.... leafy greens and high nitrate ones especially.  Beats, I think turbo(arugula), and high potassium stuff like spinach,  avocado, and watching massive starch or sugar intake.  Sugar can screw with water as much as other electrolytes in some cases.  Also fake sugars and packaged salty foods are not the same as table salt.

 

One last thing.... salt is not salt.  For coating meat and in most cooking I use kosher salt.  However I'm trying to incorporate iodized salt.  I'm pretty sure that someone with my metabolism is not getting optimal iodine and I havent figured out how to add wakame into meals every day....  so you could try eliminating all pre salted foods if possible and using iodized salt.  Lost of active men don't really understand that they are starving for some of the most basic nutrients and while our government did good things like add iodine to everything so we don't die, those who might want to live a bit harder than a sedentary 2000kcal life need extra.

 

So J, add in an extra liter of water to your day for a month.  Do your best.

Eat all the greens you can and salt the frick out of them if it gets you to eat them.  

Do not eat packaged food, especially sugary or salty.  These things, even when diet or low sodium,  will affect your electrolytes and water ballance and in order to protect your nervous system and metabolism your body will slow down and store salt.  It's why some people really puff up for a day when trying to deplete salt before some magazine shoot for example.

I honestly agree with everything you've said here. I meet with the endocrinologist this Thursday morning.  In the mean time I am taking their water pill (40mg for a week then 20mg for a mth), potassium supplement (which disintegrates INSTANTLY with water), and multivitamin. All on top of the daily 0.125mg thyroid med (I forget the damn name right now).

I'm cleaning up the diet now, and making some changes. Hell after class today I'm starting back at the gym, which is long overdue mentally and physically. I'm just frustrated with this 'read sodium on every label' bullshit.

 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2019 at 7:15 PM, ///M5 said:

Cauliflower is like crack that way

With a curry sauce or curry dusted on top.

 

Mmm

 

I need your recipe,  my cauliflower always gets soft or ends up sulfery.

Edited by dem beats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toss with olive oil, stick in oven at ~400*.  I prefer broccoli this way though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I honestly agree with everything you've said here. I meet with the endocrinologist this Thursday morning.  In the mean time I am taking their water pill (40mg for a week then 20mg for a mth), 

J

BoU5DpHIUAEPBWJ.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, topgun said:

Toss with olive oil, stick in oven at ~400*.  I prefer broccoli this way though.  

Hotter!  425-450 depending on your oven.  Hell my buddies won't do shit unless it is at 500.

My problem is that I have restaurant strength shit at home so if I say pre-heat a pan at full heat for 5min it could mean 20 on some stoves.  Ovens are similar.  You might cry if you measured the variation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And when Ryan said toss, he lilterally meant put in a big ass bowl and rotate it until the Cauli is coated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, big ass bowl and rotate.  

I try to keep it around 400-415 or so to keep the smoke down on EVOO, should I be using something else?  


I've got more money in thermocouples in the kitchen than some spend on their stoves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn't in long enough to smoke, just carmelize.  If you don't get a rockin' crust you are missing something.   That being said, cauliflower is more resilient than broccoli to high heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<-has a few thermocouples as well, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I honestly agree with everything you've said here. I meet with the endocrinologist this Thursday morning.  In the mean time I am taking their water pill (40mg for a week then 20mg for a mth), potassium supplement (which disintegrates INSTANTLY with water), and multivitamin. All on top of the daily 0.125mg thyroid med (I forget the damn name right now).

I'm cleaning up the diet now, and making some changes. Hell after class today I'm starting back at the gym, which is long overdue mentally and physically. I'm just frustrated with this 'read sodium on every label' bullshit.

 

J

What water pill?  Spironolactone?

 

That is a potassium sparing one, but you might grow tits!  Lol. Oddly enough I know another group of men that used it to make them looks less puffy because they had too many lady hormones!  Be aware that my rant about potassium does not exactly work while on this drug.  One of the reasons people take that drug is to INCREASE potassium.  If you do thats then eat a ton a veg and have the drug pushing out sodium, you're gonna have a bad time.

 

Be extremely careful of strenuous activities while getting used to any water pill.  Especially hot days.

 

Drink lots of water.  When I was put on those things I would have to take shots of soy sauce before/durring/after workouts where I was going to sweat a ton.  I really tried to just time it so it would be out of my system before any possible workout interactions and for me spironolactone goes through me relatively fast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ///M5 said:

BoU5DpHIUAEPBWJ.jpg

Speaking of, the briefcase from Tijuana is in.  Chapo sends his regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Hotter!  425-450 depending on your oven.  Hell my buddies won't do shit unless it is at 500.

My problem is that I have restaurant strength shit at home so if I say pre-heat a pan at full heat for 5min it could mean 20 on some stoves.  Ovens are similar.  You might cry if you measured the variation...

I need to rebuild my BGE guts and then get a controller. Then I can just use that.

 

Rockstar still the go to brand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×