Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Ok.

I need a super small form factor solution that would be the equivalent of a home theater receiver.  W wants all her shit to plug into one box and then she can watch her stories from whatever source she wants in the bedroom. 

Any tips on unique solutions?

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

Ok.

I need a super small form factor solution that would be the equivalent of a home theater receiver.  W wants all her shit to plug into one box and then she can watch her stories from whatever source she wants in the bedroom. 

Any tips on unique solutions?

A smart TV should have all the apps. Streaming sticks are hit and miss.

J

Apple TV is also an answer.

J

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

A smart TV should have all the apps. Streaming sticks are hit and miss.

J

Have the smart stick and other devices.  Too many for one TV.

I would also like to finally have some audio I can hear and not just the TV speakers.  

Bedroom small.

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

What all plugs in?  

Roku

Apple

PS4

At some point home PC

Amazon Fyre

And I want to play tunes bruh.

Edited by dem beats

18 hours ago, dem beats said:

Have the smart stick and other devices.  Too many for one TV.

I would also like to finally have some audio I can hear and not just the TV speakers.  

Bedroom small.

Under the TV soundbar might fit the bill.

J

Covering Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship this weekend again. I'll be restricted to the balcony yet again, and while I could use my 70-200 and crop it heavily (like last time) I hated the 'extreme crop' noise I got due to having a 1600 (or so) ISO. Found a manual focus Nikon 500 mm f/4 for a solid price for the condition. We'll see how she does. Hopefully she makes it in time. Considering the shipping location to here, it should be here easily on time.

J

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Covering Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship this weekend again. I'll be restricted to the balcony yet again, and while I could use my 70-200 and crop it heavily (like last time) I hated the 'extreme crop' noise I got due to having a 1600 (or so) ISO. Found a manual focus Nikon 500 mm f/4 for a solid price for the condition. We'll see how she does. Hopefully she makes it in time. Considering the shipping location to here, it should be here easily on time.

J

Dude, grab a multiplier.

55 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Dude, grab a multiplier.

439 (Amazon at least) for the newer Tamron 2x teleconverter. Granted I can get the EDU rebate and get some money back. It's on the list for down the line.

Paid about 425 shipped for the 500mm. If I don't like it, I should be able to sell it for what I paid pretty easily. Possibly even with some profit.

J

2 hours ago, dem beats said:

Roku

Apple

PS4

At some point home PC

Amazon Fyre

And I want to play tunes bruh.

Can't most of those plug into the TV?  If so, that would simplify things.  Means your TV needs to be on the audio source you want for those but would expect that you don't stream music off the Roku/Apple/PS4/Fire without being connected?

Simple boxes don't have many inputs...

I have a big arse soundbar and a sub.  Does what you need if the above limits are okay.  Can come demo it if you like.

17 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Can't most of those plug into the TV?  If so, that would simplify things.  Means your TV needs to be on the audio source you want for those but would expect that you don't stream music off the Roku/Apple/PS4/Fire without being connected?

Might not have enough HDMI ports. Seems like a lot of TVs are skimping on them these days.

J

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Need them to be HDMI and my TV is old and only has 2 usable ports.  Even then the second hard enough to reach that I have to have the W do it.  My hand will not fit.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I have a big arse soundbar and a sub.  Does what you need if the above limits are okay.  Can come demo it if you like.

You have the ML right?

HDMI into that from the different sources and then one HDMI out to the TV?

Edited by dem beats

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Might not have enough HDMI ports. Seems like a lot of TVs are skimping on them these days.

J

Oooooooooh TV.

~2008-2010 Sharp

You have the ML right?

HDMI into that from the different sources and then one HDMI out to the TV?

No, all HDMI into TV and one Digital audio out into the bar.  This is the problem from above.  IMO a receiver makes a terrible video source though anyways...but if your tv doesn't have it you are stuck

Oooooooooh TV.

~2008-2010 Sharp

Mine too.  6 HDMI's though.

Bar has one analog and 2 digital audio ins. 

Can't say I get the Roku, Fire, & Apple as they are redundant.  Roku >> the other 2.

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Can't say I get the Roku, Fire, & Apple as they are redundant.  Roku >> the other 2.

100% agree.  

I'm just listing what she listed to me.

I don't argue.

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I have a fire stick that I got during prime day. I justified that I'd use it for travel. I have it plugged in at the house and many times there is something on the fire stick that works or works better than with the Roku. Overall, the Roku is the primary because that's what the wife is used to, but it would be a close match in my opinion.

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

I have a fire stick that I got during prime day. I justified that I'd use it for travel. I have it plugged in at the house and many times there is something on the fire stick that works or works better than with the Roku. Overall, the Roku is the primary because that's what the wife is used to, but it would be a close match in my opinion.

Interesting.  Amazon app on the Roku fills in for the Fire Stick.  If you have FireTV different story though as that will voice contrl the complete TV.  I added one in the bedroom to avoid the "where the fuck is the remote" problems.

The ML I have is on refurb clearance for $500.  It "needs" a sub, but works really well for TV.  For music it is lackluster compared to my towers, but I ain't got space for that.

You state "super small" form factor which is why I reference that.  ALL receivers are 19" beasts and then of course it depends on the speakers you use.  IMO 3 chn is the bare minimum for a TV broadcast as just stereo really sounds like crap.  Once you add 3 or 3.1 small form factor is out the window.

My sub is wirelessly connected to the Soundbar and in general solves all our TV needs and is more than adequate for mood music when people are over.  If I want to jam out we head into the garage lol.