Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Dingleberries?

FPzG7Ss.jpg

Stoop and pick. Stoop and pick. Start with strawberries, maybe you’ll work your way up to them goddamn bananas you like so much.

Just ordered 2 quarts of Klotz for the 2 strokes in my life.

Much better than waiting in the line half way across the front of home Depot today..... Ridiculous considering the times.

2 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

With a larger size PVC you should be able to use the baskets you have.

I would probably attempt a high pressure Aeroponic mister style setup. Not that I’m suggesting it. I just think they are cool. Is how they grew vegetables in space iirc. I’ve always been intrigued with NFT too. Especially on commercial setups hooked to fish hatchery’s for the nutrient water. 

I know...but then 50gal of hydro fluid won't last for shit on flood & drain.  The pvc will hold a crap ton of liquid.  Obviously misting solves that concern as you point out but then NFT is pretty much a lazy mister.  My water supply is laready a fish tank...

2 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Just ordered 2 quarts of Klotz for the 2 strokes in my life.

Much better than waiting in the line half way across the front of home Depot today..... Ridiculous considering the times.

Ha, I buy 8 gal at a time.

2 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Stoop and pick. Stoop and pick. Start with strawberries, maybe you’ll work your way up to them goddamn bananas you like so much.

Just as a clarification, there are parts of my yard that get maybe 2 hours of sun.  The rest...less.  Hastas grow, but so slowly they take nearly 3 years to be big enough to split.  In the sunniest spot we planted tomatoes once.  Had them in the ground on April 30th.  At first frost we had 2 medium sized green tomatoes.  No sun.

Man, I love shrooms, but I can't fuck with Morels.

We also have deer, wild turkeys, coyotes, and owls living in our yard...or at least for part of each and every day.  Anything in their domain gets eaten.

25 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Ha, I buy 8 gal at a time.

If I did my maths correctly, 2 quarts will give me 26 gallons worth at 50:1, which means I'll have years worth of the stuff at my current rate. Prior to moving to my new property I would buy 1, maybe 2, quarts of PREMIXED fuel a year.

As it turns out I got free shipping from Klotz buying 2 quarts, which was cheaper than buying 1 and paying for shipping.

5 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Blackberries and boysenberries flourish in lower light from what I have seen. Damn tasty too. 

J

Will they live under a big oak?  All my grass does every year under this super shady corner under a huge oak 

39 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

...so I am going to go nuts on outdoor mushrooms.  They love the shade :)  And yes, I have found morels right in my yard.

I am moving in. 

11 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Crappy pic, but my dog and a deer in the yard this afternoon, just chillin.IMG_20200426_091456.thumb.jpg.5c5bb6a610fc4ac720c431cd282c5127.jpg

Nice bear/wolf. 

53 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

...so I am going to go nuts on outdoor mushrooms.  They love the shade :)  And yes, I have found morels right in my yard.

Never tried them. I honestly need to up my level of mushrooms I've tried.

J

17 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Will they live under a big oak?  All my grass does every year under this super shady corner under a huge oak 

I would imagine. I've seen some along rows of Maples in NY.

J

26 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Crappy pic, but my dog and a deer in the yard this afternoon, just chillin.IMG_20200426_091456.thumb.jpg.5c5bb6a610fc4ac720c431cd282c5127.jpg

It would be a perfect fit on the crap wildlife photography group.

J

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Just as a clarification, there are parts of my yard that get maybe 2 hours of sun.  The rest...less.  Hastas grow, but so slowly they take nearly 3 years to be big enough to split.  In the sunniest spot we planted tomatoes once.  Had them in the ground on April 30th.  At first frost we had 2 medium sized green tomatoes.  No sun.

I’d say raspberries and blackberries just because I’ve found them in the wild in heavily wooded areas. If you’ve ever been to upper Washington state, they grow like weeds there. Rhubarb is another I know. Google clams cherry’s and Alpine strawberries as far as other fruits. 
I googled vegetables and it basically said most root or leaf ones. Like spinach or leaf lettuce. Asparagus would be a good candidate. It loves sandy soil if you have an area of that. A patch will produce for 20-50 years once established. 
as you stated I’m sure a lot of things will grow, just not produce a lot. I would think it would be worth looking into and at least attempting the things you’re most interested in.

As far as perennial, I have a cherry tree, raspberries, blackberries, grapes and asparagus going. I would love to find a spot for another fruit tree or two, but I’m in about the same boat as you at this point.

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

We also have deer, wild turkeys, coyotes, and owls living in our yard...or at least for part of each and every day.  Anything in their domain gets eaten.

Sounds like you might need to use some chicken wire. Lol

9 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Beautiful dog. Great Pyrenees?

9 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Never tried them. I honestly need to up my level of mushrooms I've tried.

J

At $50 a pound don't fuck them up :)

32 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

I’d say raspberries and blackberries just because I’ve found them in the wild in heavily wooded areas. If you’ve ever been to upper Washington state, they grow like weeds there. Rhubarb is another I know. Google clams cherry’s and Alpine strawberries as far as other fruits. 
I googled vegetables and it basically said most root or leaf ones. Like spinach or leaf lettuce. Asparagus would be a good candidate. It loves sandy soil if you have an area of that. A patch will produce for 20-50 years once established. 
as you stated I’m sure a lot of things will grow, just not produce a lot. I would think it would be worth looking into and at least attempting the things you’re most interested in.

As far as perennial, I have a cherry tree, raspberries, blackberries, grapes and asparagus going. I would love to find a spot for another fruit tree or two, but I’m in about the same boat as you at this point.

Around here the wild berries grow like crazy in the woods as well.  I've done a fair amount of gathering.  Just hadn't thought about it in our yard.  That changes this year.  The asparagus is a great idea.  Hell in Europe they cover it with plastic so that no chlorphyll develops.  Leafy shit I wonder how fast the deer would decimate.  If so, I guess I feed nature.  I ahve a ton of lettuce seeds germinating.  Guess I will plant them oustide and see!

31 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

Sounds like you might need to use some chicken wire. Lol

We also have probably 500 hostas so they come for those, perhaps it will save the other foods :)  Only time of the year that hostas are truly edible btw.

47 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Around here the wild berries grow like crazy in the woods as well.  I've done a fair amount of gathering.  Just hadn't thought about it in our yard.  That changes this year.  The asparagus is a great idea.  Hell in Europe they cover it with plastic so that no chlorphyll develops.  Leafy shit I wonder how fast the deer would decimate.  If so, I guess I feed nature.  I ahve a ton of lettuce seeds germinating.  Guess I will plant them oustide and see!

Berry bushes are great because they multiply like crazy once established. Same with asparagus. I had heard it is a big crop over Europe, as that is where I got the sandy soil info.

I’ve only grown lettuce in flower boxes sitting on my porch handrail. Which minimized the bugs and made for easy harvest. I haven’t done any in the last few years though as nothing is sacred to my chickens. Lol

Chickens are outlawed in our bylaws...but I have a bunch of neighbors who would like to see me bulid a coop :)

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

At $50 a pound don't fuck them up :)

I'll probably try them in a restaurant first so I don't kill the flavor.

J