Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Anybody find any great DSLR deals on glass or bodies?

J

I'm trying to sell my glass and body

Edited by Julian

I'd also add there is only one use IMO for a non-stick pan. That is warming leftovers on milder heat. The stupid teflon is a crux that cause most to never be able to cook well either. Hides all the beauty and interaction of the food and the pan which is terrible IMO. I also feel this way about cast iron although I keep two cast iron pans for a different reason. Cast is extremely useful when you don't have enough heat for what must go in the pan. You can overheat the pan so that it never cools below where you need it to. This of course is also the disadvantage of cast. It is therefore superb for long and slow methods where you want a consistent temperature. Just not the right choice for a controlled sear and they also flavor pan sauces in a way I don't like.

Sean's confused, skip the pan, microwave everything.

anyone familiar with the Vixia HF G20.  Looking for a camcorder

I'd also add there is only one use IMO for a non-stick pan. That is warming leftovers on milder heat. The stupid teflon is a crux that cause most to never be able to cook well either. Hides all the beauty and interaction of the food and the pan which is terrible IMO. I also feel this way about cast iron although I keep two cast iron pans for a different reason. Cast is extremely useful when you don't have enough heat for what must go in the pan. You can overheat the pan so that it never cools below where you need it to. This of course is also the disadvantage of cast. It is therefore superb for long and slow methods where you want a consistent temperature. Just not the right choice for a controlled sear and they also flavor pan sauces in a way I don't like.

I like using cast iron for frying anything really. It doesn't lose as much heat when you drop cold food in it.

15 hours of labor and we're still waiting. A botched LEEP procedure by the military doctors some years back has come back to haunt us. If we can't get this going in the next few hours, we might have to have a Cesarean. Wish us luck.

15 hours of labor and we're still waiting. A botched LEEP procedure by the military doctors some years back has come back to haunt us. If we can't get this going in the next few hours, we might have to have a Cesarean. Wish us luck.

Best wishes to you all, brother.

Agreed. Best of best wishes, and good luck.

Nothing like working a 12 hour day on the day off. ;)

J

Looking to stay with Nikon.

J

Agreed. Best of best wishes, and good luck.

Good luck!!!!

J

J

Looking to stay with Nikon.

J

National camera exchange is having a decently large sale on Nikon specifically.

i love steel

I had a set of SS pans once and threw them away the first night I used them. I burnt absolutely everything and everything stuck to them. I now use pans with a ceramic non stick and love them!

i love steel

What's a good reasonable pot and pan set? Everything I see at the store is garbage. I thought about getting some pans at a restaurant supply store but don't feel like paying 89-90$ a pan.

Budget is around maybe 250 for a good sized set

Edited by Julian

I like using cast iron for frying anything really. It doesn't lose as much heat when you drop cold food in it.
And it sucks fucking donkey dick if you have to make a temperature change.

x1111111111111111111111111111111119

i love steel

I had a set of SS pans once and threw them away the first night I used them. I burnt absolutely everything and everything stuck to them. I now use pans with a ceramic non stick and love them!
Just so you know, if you ever go to any restaurant where there is a famous chef your meal will most likely be prepared in SS. I am referring to the cooking surface only, not the pan material.

My pans are all copper but "tinned" with stainless. Stuff only sticks if I fuck up.

i love steel

What's a good reasonable pot and pan set? Everything I see at the store is garbage. I thought about getting some pans at a restaurant supply store but don't feel like paying 89-90$ a pan.

Although better than knives, a set is still what you may or may not use.

You need some sort of saucier, a med fry pan, a large fry pan and the rest is up to you.

If you just bought my large fry pan here in the states it'd be close to $1k.

but it is restaurant quality copper.

For the general user an All Clad fry pan. I prefer the copper core, but step down as your budget denotes

For the non-fry pans you do not quite need the quality. Sure it is nice to have your saucier even, but you can compensate by stirring. You cannot do that when frying.

Personally I would shop at TJ Maxx and search for the right deal once things were priced. Of course this time of year perhaps you can score.

You CANNOT cook in a cheap stainless pan. Cheap steel sure...but that is a different topic.

For instance, my egg pan:

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-10-25-Carbon/dp/B001VH6UYG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385781109&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+steel+crepe

Works WAY fucking better than any non-stick. Also use it for crepe's and 10" pancakes. If your burner sucks you may want a slightly smaller one.

i love steel

Just so you know, if you ever go to any restaurant where there is a famous chef your meal will most likely be prepared in SS. I am referring to the cooking surface only, not the pan material.

My pans are all copper but "tinned" with stainless. Stuff only sticks if I fuck up.

Most famous chefs cook food that is shit to the masses.

i love steel

Swiss Diamond is what we use. A decent set will run you $4-500 though.

i love steel

Most famous chefs cook food that is shit to the masses.

Seriously? I don't really agree. ALL of my friends always shit when they eat here and I've enjoyed some rather good chef's meals.

I also didn't state their sous chef's or someone else can run their kitchen. That isn't easy. Also am not implying Emerill Lagasse can even cook a chicken without ruining it. Just saying when you eat a meal cooked by a real chef there is a reason they don't use non-stick hardware.

i love steel

Swiss Diamond is what we use. A decent set will run you $4-500 though.

I was given the Berndes version of one of those. The cheapo blue steel pan I linked is a million times more non-stick. It does require seasoning, but it is super easy.

Actually browned naan with garlic on the steelie tonight