Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

<- ignorance is bliss.

Everyone is ignorant about some things. Just have to be careful which ones you choose to conquer that as some burn time & money. Happiness or relaxation drive me usually.

I made one knife mistake. My sashimi knife. I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Especially now that I have a good kitchen knife. It will be all but obsolete when I get a larger chef knife.

Live and learn.

I think there are a few area's I could give Sean a run for his money. Most anything in the kitchen, or mechanically not so much. The only exception being meatballs and sauce, or chicken wings. Those I have complete confidence in myself with.

Hope so. I try to learn something new every time I step in the kitchen.
As do I. Last time had me become furious with my cheap knives.I will puchase new ones sooner or later.J
Not new ones, but new ONE. Start with the one you use the most. Hell even if you were spending $300 I'd spend 70%+ on one knife. 99% of my cuts are with a 10" Chef's knife. The next most important knife is a bread knife, but a $10 works. Can't cut bread with a chef's knife. After that a paring knife, but I do most paring work with my chef's knife...wouldn't recommend starting out that way though.

What is your take on santoku knives?

J

Not sure what I'm going to do with this.

CAM00495_zps5357fa07.jpg

Too many buttons trippy.gif

And I'll be damned if they don't have a perfect spot for my pistol with easy access.

Sweet. Too bad you can't store them like that here in Texas.

I think there are a few area's I could give Sean a run for his money. Most anything in the kitchen, or mechanically not so much. The only exception being meatballs and sauce, or chicken wings. Those I have complete confidence in myself with.

As do I. Last time had me become furious with my cheap knives.I will puchase new ones sooner or later.J
Not new ones, but new ONE. Start with the one you use the most. Hell even if you were spending $300 I'd spend 70%+ on one knife. 99% of my cuts are with a 10" Chef's knife. The next most important knife is a bread knife, but a $10 works. Can't cut bread with a chef's knife. After that a paring knife, but I do most paring work with my chef's knife...wouldn't recommend starting out that way though.

J

I don't own one, nor will I.

Can't believe I have a son going into 3rd grade.

Kindergarten here. Same shit, wtf???

It's happening too fast and I think I need to move again to be closer to him.

My new turd

CAM00493_zpse5c72f61.jpg

Let me guess, killer deal from your family connection?  Got some room for bumps in trunk!!!

And Aaron, just for you I posted a pic. Dusty as hell. sad.png

Ok, I will go check it out.

J

Good for housewives, I dislike it as I use the tip of a knife quite often.

They are usually shorter then a regular chef's knife.

Chefknivestogo.com is a great website to order a knife from, and you can ask questions on their forum.

Edited by kirill007

And Aaron, just for you I posted a pic. Dusty as hell. sad.png

Ok, I will go check it out.

Of course taking the pic bugged me so much yesterday I cleaned the jams and engine bay last night.

J

Good for people who housewives, I dislike it as I use the tip of a knife quite often.

They are usually shorter then a regular chef's knife.

Chefknivestogo.com is a great website to order a knife from, and you can ask questions on their forum.

Tip of the knife really shouldn't be used for much...

I would never, never, never order a primary knife. Hell I wouldn't buy one that I haven't used significantly. I julienned 10lbs of carrots with different knives trying to decide which to buy. It HAS, HAS, HAS to be comfortable in your hands for you to be effective with it.

To me this also means a knife that I can slice with without the need to look at my hands. The handle and blade have to work in conjunction to make this happen. THis is fundamentally my problem with the Santoku blade. Nearly impossible to do it with. They have a use for those with minimal knife skills, but I'd still avoid them as they don't teach you the right skills.

No matter the fish, scales are not good eats

I know some Koren people who eat them in milk.
I've had intestines, stomach, heart, testicles, lungs, gizzards and other unique body parts in Korean restaurants. Most of those items I'd prefer to scales, but obviously am more than willing to try if someone makes them tasty. Pretty sure if that is the case they could put dirt in the dish and it'd be tasty. I don't need calcium that bad either.Being connective tissue I imagine when broken down they may be lip smackin', but flavor is not something they bring to the game.
Mind telling about the flavors and textures on some of these 'exotic' foods? Also what animals they were from? I've always been curious.

J

If you are curious go eat some smile.png Amusingly, exotic is something I'd use for things like truffles. Liver is mundane, leftover to most people or a sausage filler.

As with any food preparation determines the texture and flavor. If you are curious about something in general I can describe.

My biggest issue is smell. So often they smell just god awful to me. Smells bad, I can't eat it.

Fucking sad isn't it,

J

Taste is something like 60% smell.

That being said, none of the above have never smelled bad to me.

. . . And the reason I will never again try salmon.

Bad smelling salmon is rotten. I wouldn't eat rotten fish.

That all being said, raw salmon is SO MUCH better than cooked. And if raw salmon smells bad DON'T cook it.

Really if any fish has a district fishy smell you shouldn't eat it.

Watch the knife ride on Hong's knuckles. I have no idea how he feels confident using such a short blade doing this, I would be afraid I'd cut my knuckles. Mine is about an 1" taller, but my hands are also WAY bigger so that makes sense.

What he shows is really not all that hard. He is extremely good at it, I can be nearly as fast but my accuracy is shamed by his speed with it.

First two things anyone needs to learn when starting to cook. 1 - Knife skills. If you can't get your mise en place finished you can't cook, 2 - Appropriate use of Kosher salt.

If you nail those two you will instantly become better than 99.9999% of cooks including many who work "professionally"

No matter the fish, scales are not good eats

I know some Koren people who eat them in milk.
I've had intestines, stomach, heart, testicles, lungs, gizzards and other unique body parts in Korean restaurants. Most of those items I'd prefer to scales, but obviously am more than willing to try if someone makes them tasty. Pretty sure if that is the case they could put dirt in the dish and it'd be tasty. I don't need calcium that bad either.Being connective tissue I imagine when broken down they may be lip smackin', but flavor is not something they bring to the game.
Mind telling about the flavors and textures on some of these 'exotic' foods? Also what animals they were from? I've always been curious.

J

If you are curious go eat some smile.png Amusingly, exotic is something I'd use for things like truffles. Liver is mundane, leftover to most people or a sausage filler.

As with any food preparation determines the texture and flavor. If you are curious about something in general I can describe.

My biggest issue is smell. So often they smell just god awful to me. Smells bad, I can't eat it.

Fucking sad isn't it,

J

Taste is something like 60% smell.

That being said, none of the above have never smelled bad to me.

. . . And the reason I will never again try salmon.

Bad smelling salmon is rotten. I wouldn't eat rotten fish.

That all being said, raw salmon is SO MUCH better than cooked. And if raw salmon smells bad DON'T cook it.

Really if any fish has a district fishy smell you shouldn't eat it.
Smelling like the ocean on the other hand is a great thing. The distinct "fishy" smell you are all referring to is rotting.

My new turd

CAM00493_zpse5c72f61.jpg

Not a bad vehicle at all. My MIL loves hers.

One last drain and fill on the 4runner today, then the tranny should be good for another 100K.

My new turd

CAM00493_zpse5c72f61.jpg

Let me guess, killer deal from your family connection?  Got some room for bumps in trunk!!!

No.  I would not buy one of these unless I got an insane deal on it, which is the instance here.   Local dealer quoted trade-in at $16,700, and I paid $8900, so you do the math.  Going to drive it through winter and trade it on a Focus ST, or maybe something different depending on my career status then.

There is so much wasted space in this thing.  It has a huge spare tire well, but the spare is underneath it, and, well, you will see. 

My new turd

CAM00493_zpse5c72f61.jpg

No.  I would not buy one of these unless I got an insane deal on it, which is the instance here.   Local dealer quoted trade-in at $16,700, and I paid $8900, so you do the math.  Going to drive it through winter and trade it on a Focus ST, or maybe something different depending on my career status then.

There is so much wasted space in this thing.  It has a huge spare tire well, but the spare is underneath it, and, well, you will see. 

SS NW 1-2!