Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Looks a bit doofy as it is a backpack, but I stopped giving a shit.

Seth, do you find people do "look down" at you for your job?

Mechanic is a job I hold in higher regard than most.

God I hope not, some of my best and most dedicated mechanics came from that field.

The reason they come to fq is our local dealerships don't pay as much.

Pumping the pecs this morning...

And while yes it looks like a car, I think it has the potential to be better than the 2000ish bm'ers

M5 - 2000-BMW-M5-interior.jpg

The whole screen under the vents is a problem...

I freaking love mid 2000s bm'ers

And while yes it looks like a car, I think it has the potential to be better than the 2000ish bm'ers

I'm sure plenty of people think he is a swindling crook.

Oooh yeah. I suppose they don't know how much work it takes.

Or how much equipment.

Oh yeah, big time. Most people think we are stupid and/or crooks. Granted, easily 50% of the guys out there are one or both... But very few people consider what it takes to be a top tech.

God I hope not, some of my best and most dedicated mechanics came from that field.

The reason they come to fq is our local dealerships don't pay as much.

Dealerships can't pay me enough. I make a shit ton more now than I did as a dealership foreman, and even a typical strong A tech (non-foreman tech) should make more in a small independent than a dealership. Honestly, the dealership foreman tech was the lowest paying job I have had since the late 80s... and that was just a couple years ago. I needed to slow down a bit, and wanted the experiance of a dealer foreman on these newer cars though, so I took the job...

I left my job at a Subaru dealership to become the lead tech at Big O for the simple fact of pay. While I enjoyed how extremely easy subees are to work on, I made less than 1/3 what I do now.

I won't try to pretend I can keep up with sandt on being a mechanic ( we are in a small store and limited by corporate to little more than maintenance ) I can say most people think mechanics are a rip off. Some truly are. Example, about a week ago a 1998 Taurus came in with a no start. After some diag I told him it needed a new computer. It had lost the ability to control the injectors. The customer lost it, told me he already check fuel pressure and knew it needed a fuel pump, towed it somewhere else. They put a pump and filter in it, then ended up doing a pcm just like I said it needed. Had they done a little diagnostic before hand maybe they could have kept a customer. As it stands, I now have a loyal customer that knows I will fix whatever is needed and not throw parts till it works. It's always an uphill battle in this field with the lack luster performance of some "mechanics."

Your tool collection is awesome and one hell of an investment!

Thank you kind sir. You are now in my will...

If I could magically afford to fly Adrian, Neal, Dylan, Ryan1, NickM etc. and my car up to Seth for a bonkers have at it..... I would.

There would likely be too much alcohol involved for any real work to get done.

Neal would have a Sailor Jerry truck arrive. 

Yup, still buttery N/A I6's.

I left my job at a Subaru dealership to become the lead tech at Big O for the simple fact of pay. While I enjoyed how extremely easy subees are to work on...

That's good to hear.

Yup, still buttery N/A I6's.

Except that is a V8.

betadine on my hand made the skin turn orange; looks like I fingered an oompa loompa

I hope that wherever I settle down long term I can find a good mechanic. I've been spoiled my whole life. I had a mechanically inclined Mom and Dad, who had connections at part stores. I've been buying parts at dealer pricing my whole life. When the job was too tough we had a good friend who ran a mechanic shop as a side business and was damn good. He didn't need the work so he never would take on a job that he didn't already understand. Also our neighbor (and 2nd cousin) worked a ford dealership and did work on the side at night. I think I paid 2-300 labor for a clutch change on my Saturn. My buddy just paid 2-300 labor for a brake,rotor, oil change...

I'm looking at a yoga/surface pro 2 myself, right now. I'm tired of having a big cheap 15.6" laptop and a 10.1" ipad

I can't complain about the laptop. It's a Lenovo with a great keyboard and mediocre specs. Best of all, it was free.

friend of mine has a yoga 2, seems pretty solid. In tablet mode it locks out the keyboard in an interesting way. 

I hope that wherever I settle down long term I can find a good mechanic. I've been spoiled my whole life. I had a mechanically inclined Mom and Dad, who had connections at part stores. I've been buying parts at dealer pricing my whole life. When the job was too tough we had a good friend who ran a mechanic shop as a side business and was damn good. He didn't need the work so he never would take on a job that he didn't already understand. Also our neighbor (and 2nd cousin) worked a ford dealership and did work on the side at night. I think I paid 2-300 labor for a clutch change on my Saturn. My buddy just paid 2-300 labor for a brake,rotor, oil change...

I know this sounds bad, but when my dad dies or gets too old to work on cars I'm screwed. I can handle little shit myself, but major work is outside of my scope of mechanical inclination simply due to my limited experience. Like you I have never paid for labor and ALL of my parts are at cost, no markup at all and often my dad will beat the guys at the part store up even more and get the part BELOW cost.

I officially got contacted by CTI tonight. Apparently Jim came through. I know several people involved with CTI trainers and classroom authors so I figured I would be OK. They were interested in me doing a thermography class, since I brought it to Jim's attention. They want a 4 hour class written (most are 8 hour classes, but in my discussions with the big guy I told him that thermography, in our industry, is really still in it's infancy and suggested a smaller class, which he took to readily) with 4-8 case studies included. I have been given until March 27th. During this time I also have to attend training for new teachers with CTI. I must also pass some CTI certifications and submit all necessary tax information.

I'm honestly almost sick to my stomach. This is really something I have wanted for a long time. I have no desire to be a business owner within my industry, and to me the pinnacle is a professional working tech who is a trainer with a recommendation from one of the very best technicians in the world. I have just achieved that, with a bonus on the first count that I am a foreman at the shop I work at, additionally I have been asked to author a new class on a new technology within our industry! Jim is, honestly, a top .5%er. He is an absolutely brilliant tech, and the fact that he did this for me is a HUGE honor.

Seth!

That's super awesome. Proud to know you man. You are amazing bro, you will do awesome.

I officially got contacted by CTI tonight. Apparently Jim came through. I know several people involved with CTI trainers and classroom authors so I figured I would be OK. They were interested in me doing a thermography class, since I brought it to Jim's attention. They want a 4 hour class written (most are 8 hour classes, but in my discussions with the big guy I told him that thermography, in our industry, is really still in it's infancy and suggested a smaller class, which he took to readily) with 4-8 case studies included. I have been given until March 27th. During this time I also have to attend training for new teachers with CTI. I must also pass some CTI certifications and submit all necessary tax information.

I'm honestly almost sick to my stomach. This is really something I have wanted for a long time. I have no desire to be a business owner within my industry, and to me the pinnacle is a professional working tech who is a trainer with a recommendation from one of the very best technicians in the world. I have just achieved that, with a bonus on the first count that I am a foreman at the shop I work at, additionally I have been asked to author a new class on a new technology within our industry! Jim is, honestly, a top .5%er. He is an absolutely brilliant tech, and the fact that he did this for me is a HUGE honor.

Way to go.  The Master becoming are you.

Stoked... celebrating with some Double Oaked Single Barrel... and 2 cubes. Sorry, no old fashioneds with this small batch seasonal beverage,

we are the ones that will open your mind
leave the weak and the haunted behind