Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Nothing crazy 30mbps. I was at 2.6 with dsl.

Monte Cristo is ok. Depends on what one you smoke.

If you want a really wild ride, find an extremely mild, but full to mostly full ligaro cigar. And then have it with a Madeira wine.

That is one of my absolute favorite joys. The cigar has to be extremely full bodied and it's best to not go cheep on the Madeira.

Nothing crazy 30mbps. I was at 2.6 with dsl.

That is what I'm getting like 30 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.. Not bad really does everything I need it to.

If you want a really wild ride, find an extremely mild, but full to mostly full ligaro cigar. And then have it with a Madeira wine.

That is one of my absolute favorite joys. The cigar has to be extremely full bodied and it's best to not go cheep on the Madeira.

I had a few true Monte Cubans in Italy. They were very nice. Unfortunately the Montes I have snagged in the States have all been boring. I don't see myself investing in many more.

Sadly, I don't dig wine.

I had a few true Monte Cubans in Italy. They were very nice. Unfortunately the Montes I have snagged in the States have all been boring. I don't see myself investing in many more.

Sadly, I don't dig wine.

Monte Cristo also has the jacked up ash due to their rolling techniques.

Plus side is soon you will be able to get Cubans in the US. I have had a few and none have really impressed me. Especially the Cohiba.

J

I am merely lieutenant commander overkill, but I feel I suffer as much.

:-(

Maybe more as I'm indecisive.

Hence multiple posts to reply to a single post...
This shows impulsivity control issues to me. Very quick to type a quick reply before thinking out everything one wishes to say.

I struggle with this myself in my day to day life, as does my oldest.

I wish I was more impulsive.... Or had traits to that effect.

My process, as Sean noted to be thorough, is laborious and super drawn out. At a frantic pace

I am too damn impulsive. Lately, I am starting to learn patience.

Except today at the VA.

J

Sadly, I don't dig wine.

It's so far from wine it might suprise you. It's heated and fortified.

Possibly worth a try.

I am merely lieutenant commander overkill, but I feel I suffer as much.

:-(

Maybe more as I'm indecisive.

Hence multiple posts to reply to a single post...
This shows impulsivity control issues to me. Very quick to type a quick reply before thinking out everything one wishes to say.

I struggle with this myself in my day to day life, as does my oldest.

I wish I was more impulsive.... Or had traits to that effect.

My process, as Sean noted to be thorough, is laborious and super drawn out. At a frantic pace

In other words you are always jerking off

Sadly, I don't dig wine.

Plus side is soon you will be able to get Cubans in the US. I have had a few and none have really impressed me. Especially the Cohiba.

J

Quality has taken a huge dive thanks to our lack of trade :(  20 years ago I think you'd have a different feeling about it all.

Sadly, I don't dig wine.

J

Quality has taken a huge dive thanks to our lack of trade :(  20 years ago I think you'd have a different feeling about it all.

One mans Cohiba is another mans White Owl.

The Cubans I have smoked were gifted to me from an Italian 2 star General while in Iraq for giving his driver directions. Possible they were counterfit, but considering they can get them legally in Italy.....I doubt it.

I do agree that the golden age of cigars was the early to late 90s. Since then QC, and inventiveness in blending has taken a nose dive in favor of the bottom line.

J

Sadly, I don't dig wine.

J

Quality has taken a huge dive thanks to our lack of trade sad.png  20 years ago I think you'd have a different feeling about it all.

The Cubans I have smoked were gifted to me from an Italian 2 star General while in Iraq for giving his driver directions. Possible they were counterfit, but considering they can get them legally in Italy.....I doubt it.

I do agree that the golden age of cigars was the early to late 90s. Since then QC, and inventiveness in blending has taken a nose dive in favor of the bottom line.

J

Honestly the Cohibas I have smoked in the States have been rather boring as well. Not bad, but not great. For $4 a stick it is hard to complain though, where the Monte Epics are rather overpriced. I have never tried a Cohiba Cuban. And yeah, Cubans are all over in Italy, and not excessively high in price either. I gave ~15 euro for a Monte Churchill and ~12 for a dog walker.

I have to agree with Sean in the respect that after the embargo the quality of the Cuban has degraded with the reduced market. Most of your master makers and blenders have moved on to the more profitable Nicaraguan, Dominican, and other markets. The really close, uniform cell structure of Cuban tobacco is what makes them so flavorful. Yes, sadly as with everything I get involved in I have spent WAAAAYYY too much time reading and learning about cigars. I think if the makers and blenders see the money back in the Cuban market we will see a much different smoke.

Sadly, I don't dig wine.

J

J

Honestly the Cohibas I have smoked in the States have been rather boring as well. Not bad, but not great. For $4 a stick it is hard to complain though, where the Monte Epics are rather overpriced. I have never tried a Cohiba Cuban. And yeah, Cubans are all over in Italy, and not excessively high in price either. I gave ~15 euro for a Monte Churchill and ~12 for a dog walker.

I have to agree with Sean in the respect that after the embargo the quality of the Cuban has degraded with the reduced market. Most of your master makers and blenders have moved on to the more profitable Nicaraguan, Dominican, and other markets. The really close, uniform cell structure of Cuban tobacco is what makes them so flavorful. Yes, sadly as with everything I get involved in I have spent WAAAAYYY too much time reading and learning about cigars. I think if the makers and blenders see the money back in the Cuban market we will see a much different smoke.

How long do you think that will take? I guess it will be 4 years minimum.

J

Likely longer. We still will not be able to buy or sell them in the US. What this easing of the embargo is doing is allowing us to travel into countries that we can buy Cubans in, and bring up to $100 worth of tobacco or liquor from Cuba back into the US. Again, you still can not buy or sell Cubans within the states, based on the reports I have read about the embargo changes.

So what's changing?

Both countries will work toward reestablishing embassies.

The U.S. will ease travel restrictions, making it easier for Americans to travel to Cuba and do business there.

U.S. and Cuban banks will be allowed to start building relationships and that means American travelers will be able to use their credit and debit cards when visiting.

Americans returning from a trip to Cuba can now return with up to $400 in Cuban goods, a quarter of which can be spent on alcohol and tobacco.

Think Cuban cigars.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/17/politics/cuban-embargo-questions-answers/

I heard you can't visit for tourism though.....

Needs to be a specific reason.

I heard you can't visit for tourism though.....

Needs to be a specific reason.

Yeah, you have to get some sort of "license". But you can still grab them in Canada, central and South America, and many European nations. Obviously the Easter European markets are flooded with the "Soviet Block" nations still trading heavily with Cuba.

Honestly some of the most famous Cuban cigars were rolled in countries other than Cuba, they just used Cuban tobaccos. The climate and soils are just perfect for the proper growth. Cuban seed leaf is decent, but the climate is really what makes it shine. Sure, Flor Del Fumar and H Upmanns (JFK had every H Upmann that could be found bought up for himself the day before the embargo, totaling over 1200 sticks) were grown and rolled in Cuba and are arguably some of the best Cubans, but Consuergas, H. Anton Bocks, Hoyas, and Cuesta Rey Jacks were Cuban leaf grown in Cuba and blended and rolled in Tampa Fla in the 50s and 60s. These are still highly prized, very pricey sticks still sought after today. The Upmanns still command over $400 a stick. I found a source and am considering grabbing myself a single stick for Christmas, or thereabouts. I just want to taste what all the hype is about.

I know I went way around my elbow to get to my asshole here, but my point is that while the makers have moved away, some nice blends coming from real Cuban leaf rolled outside Cuba is a very real possibility.

^^ Has been reading WWWAAAAYYYY too much about cigars over the past couple months... Damn my need to know mentality!

Paramount is a bunch of a pussies

Three movie theaters say Paramount Pictures has ordered them not to show Team America: World Police one day after Sony Pictures surrendered to cyberterrorists and pulled The Interview. The famous Alamo Drafthouse in Texas, Capitol Theater in Cleveland, and Plaza Atlanta in Atlanta said they would screen the movie instead of The Interview but Paramount has ordered them to stop. (No reason was apparently given and Paramount hasn't spoken.)

Send a couple thousand Texans over to Pyongyang. Shit will get settled real quick.

That must be a serious threat. I know the for The Interview the hackers grabbed a bunch of Sony secrets that they would let out.

Send a couple thousand Texans over to Pyongyang. Shit will get settled real quick.

Led by Ted Nugent riding an eagle like Gandalf, but instead of a staff he has a Barrett 50 in one hand and a chain fed grenade launcher in the other?

That's how I'm picturing it.