Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Ok peoples.  Is it possible to change out a factory GM radio unit and keep factory speakers/amp combo along with door chimes and onstar?  For less than say 500$?  This would be on an '05 Buick Park Ave Ultra with the Concert Sound III?  9 speaker with amp in the trunk.  

I'd love to add a backup camera in the dash, keep door chimes, and change out the Onstar to bluetooth for using the mic setup for handsfree calling.  and streaming music off the phone.  

Oh, and keep steering wheel controls.  

Why keep the amp?  

Do you seriously pay for Onstar??  On an 05?  I don't see any value in it enough so I pulled the Onstar control unit out of my truck.

Of course, not what you asked but what I'd do is:  active capable headunit, power only harness with the built in speaker for the door chimes and such ($30-50 IIRC there is one in the truck), cheap 4 chn amp for the speakers, and get it all done for $500 depending on what headunit you need for bluetooth & back up camera.  My backup camera adapter was like $10 btw.

The problem you'll have with your approach is the harness is expensive and the amp sucks.  Stock speakers aren't great, but with an active proc and a real amp they will surely wake up.  

The JL speakers that came in my boat are a great example.  Completely lifeless stock, but some real power, a shelf filter yanking out the bottom end so they don't die at high SPL, and a few cuts and they really came to life.

Ok peoples. Is it possible to change out a factory GM radio unit and keep factory speakers/amp combo along with door chimes and onstar? For less than say 500$? This would be on an '05 Buick Park Ave Ultra with the Concert Sound III? 9 speaker with amp in the trunk.

I'd love to add a backup camera in the dash, keep door chimes, and change out the Onstar to bluetooth for using the mic setup for handsfree calling. and streaming music off the phone.

Oh, and keep steering wheel controls.

Why keep the amp?

Do you seriously pay for Onstar?? On an 05? I don't see any value in it enough so I pulled the Onstar control unit out of my truck.

Of course, not what you asked but what I'd do is: active capable headunit, power only harness with the built in speaker for the door chimes and such ($30-50 IIRC there is one in the truck), cheap 4 chn amp for the speakers, and get it all done for $500 depending on what headunit you need for bluetooth & back up camera. My backup camera adapter was like $10 btw.

I was planning on a Bluestar module to convert it to a Bluetooth sync for the phone utilising the mic already in the car.

Are you saying factory speakers, new amp and active control from the head unit?

I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions.

List of desires are

Bluetooth hands free

Streaming of music through phone

Backup camera

Door chimes

not to have to gut the car and run a bunch of wiring

This harness (for my truck) has a speaker for the door chimes, gas low etc.  Basically a dumb harness beyond that:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049MV2IY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Would assume they have one for your car.

This I paid $10 for, but it seems to be different now.  You'd need a different one, but it is the camera interface.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FY61NL0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Once there the only thing you'd have to decide is if you cut the stock wires or grab a speaker wire harness.  I bet if you shop there will be some kit for $40-50 that includes the camera, the harness and the chime thingee.

Then you just need to wire the amp.  A 50x4 could easily be done with just 10ga and isn't so hard to wire.

After 10 months of a temporary install, here is the Note 2 in it's final resting place: 

IMG_9864.jpg

IMG_9865.jpg

IMG_9866.jpg

IMG_9869.jpg

FM Radio works, charging through the isolated supply and the wireless charge pins also works nicely. The Audison DRC is bad (I asked the dealer for one with a bad screen and got one fuxored completely) but it will get replaced next week. 

Things left:

Finish sub

Micro-USB extension wire

OBD2 adapter for the steering wheel controls

Deaden doors and install Extremis 

Install full-ranges, the Fostex from the old Jeep don't fit, so I will have to get some Faital full-ranges. 

Sub's first because the current one uses a lot of space and I have to finish it by January 30th, before the ski trip. 

Huh, will wonders never cease.  I found a double DIN video screen deck with 3-way actives that retain everything but Onstar, but with its Bluetooh, the OnStar is a non issue.  Later when I get more ambitious add the cabling and new amp to bring more life to it.  

*i only read the headline

And am shocked.  Mobile A/V industry doing something right for once?

Boat is in storage and the sleds are in the garage!  Fuck yeah.  SNOW damnit.

*i only read the headline

And am shocked.  Mobile A/V industry doing something right for once?

• Network: Allows you to set the high-pass and low-pass crossover network for a complex 3-way speaker system with Highs, Mids, and Sub using low-level outputs only.
    • Highs: The high-pass crossover for your tweeters can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
    • Mids: You can set a high-pass and low-pass crossover from your midrange/midbass drivers. The high-pass crossover can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off. The low-pass crossover can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
    • Lows: The low-pass crossover for your subwoofers can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.

EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).

Grabbed a minty Specialized Hot Rock for $110 for Aidan.  20" 7 speed front suspension fork mini-mt bike.  New around $380.  

Now I need to find a wicked old school bmx bike to go with it.  Either ride fast or fun.  :)

This exact one

Htrk_20B_Burnt_Org%20Blk_LB.jpg

It's 8 years old, but bike technology hasn't fundamentally changed in longer than my lifetime so I could give a shit.  It's all lighter now than then, but works the same.

*excluding of course the $3500 computer controlled shimano shifters

Not that anyone should pay for them...or run a triple.  1x or 2x at the most.  I'm super pumped about having no front derailleur on the fat bike.  Cross shifting while slightly more efficient is annoying as hell.

Looks nice Sean.

The ammo hording kicked in this weekend. :(

Processing hasn't advanced at Pio but at least they kept it.  Bummer these days they don't just offer more eq and cross points as it costs them nothing.  

Nothing would stop me from running it if I were you.  Nice they made it easy.

Now how to hide the bike until Christmas.