spanky1975

cargo area wall ??????

Wondering if anybody has seen the cargo area walled ?

I don't want to lose my back seats in my Tahoe. I am wondering if 4 15" SSA DCON's walled in the cargo area would do some good hair tricks ?

Thanks for any input !!

That is called a c pillar wall. There are plenty of them out there. You will need to measure the space available to see if you have enough for what you want to build. You may have to build inside the truck to maximize what is available.

Yep, C pillar wall as Dave stated. I plan on doing one with four 15" DCON's myself in my Blazer playtoy project vehicle.

It's a big deal to do a wall though. A lot of planning and hard work is required to get a good fit and finish along with proper specs for the right performance. I'm not looking forward to doing the one in that Blazer, lol.

Yea there are tons out there. I actually did one in my trailblazer with 4 15s. I only had it in there for about a month before I sold the tblaze lol

At that point one should strongly consider a big box in the cargo area firing up.

One of the biggest reasons why b-pillar walls are so loud is that the cabin volume is drastically reduced, and cabin gain goes up, up, and up!

With a c-pillar wall that beneficial gain is reduced. That reduction in combination with not being able to see shit out of the back would sway me towards using a big box in the cargo area.

IE: http://blog.stefanhinote.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DSC_00051.jpg

Though that one did stick above the rear seats by a few inches. :lol:

9/10 C pillar walls IMO do not get very loud in most cases. I've seen a few that would do good numbers but they do not compare to a full wall or even as Stefan stated a box in the rear cargo area. You the added cargo area but sacrifice cabin gain. My friend built a very impressive c pillar wall with 4 RF 15's on ~12k, but it was only doing 54's or 55's in comparison to my (at the time) 2 18's on 6k a dB higher.

Edited by Julian

Well I don't know the reason why spanky is considering a c pillar wall, but I know the reason I'm looking at doing one is to blow away all the nooblets around here. No one near here has a wall of any kind. To hell with numbers I just like to be different.

Well I don't know the reason why spanky is considering a c pillar wall, but I know the reason I'm looking at doing one is to blow away all the nooblets around here. No one near here has a wall of any kind. To hell with numbers I just like to be different.

Oh you'll look different every time you back up. :lol:

lol....well, to be honest. the box I just built and put in sounds amazing and gets really loud. I am kinda fascinated with the "hairtrick" and wondering if it could be done in a Tahoe with 4 15" DCON's that are in the cargo area. I see that most of the hairtricks are with people that have a wall. So could a c-pillar wall do it or could it be done with a ported box ? Also, will it still sound good ?

As you said Alton, you like to be different. Well, same here. :)

Ive seen hair tricks out of a trunk setup before. There is more to it than where you have the enclosure.

My current build is with a c pillar. Most of the reason why is because of my windows not because I'm trying to chase a number.

Ive seen hair tricks out of a trunk setup before.

This^ my ZCON on only 1500 RMS could move some hair. Obviously not to the extent of a walled SUV, but it can be done without a wall.

Here's Big Jon hair trickin out of a trunk.

lol thanks,

yeah it can be done but... its damn sure not plug and play hair trick...... that was on a 4500D to... you should see me now! :D

Most C-Pillar walls fail becasue woofers don't have anything to load off of back there, like in a B-Pillar wall where they load off the windshield and dash.

Most C-Pillar walls fail becasue woofers don't have anything to load off of back there, like in a B-Pillar wall where they load off the windshield and dash.

correct... i think a 4 order wall does better at the C then a wall anyway

so, would 4 15" DCON's in the cargo area in a tahoe do it a hairtrick ?

you should see me now! biggrin.png

I can only imagine.

If it's for daily I would probably say don't do a wall. I didn't think it was going to be that bad having the back glass blocked. Well it was such a pain.

I would imagine there being plenty of room back there in the hoe. Why not do something just below seats like 2 18s? Icon 18s? Get a good quality amp and make a well designed box and you should be set.

I don't know about hair tricks, but there's only one way to find out. DO IT! lol There are so many variables for hair tricks. Box, box placement, tuning, subs, power, vehicle's cabin volume, etc. etc.

I've been there with the wall and it was awesome to look at, but was always in the way. 2 18s is still very different for most places and will definitely be loud as balls with the Icons.

Edited by Bassink

so, would 4 15" DCON's in the cargo area in a tahoe do it a hairtrick ?

only one way to find out.....

but i would venture to say .... no.

but then again wTF do i know.

whats your obsession anyway ?

I bet it would do mullet hair trick. Maybe not a full out Crystal Gayle hair trick though.

Edited by swift

whats your obsession anyway ?

no obsession. I just think hairtricks are pretty cool and would be fun if I could do them too. My setup now is crazy loud and sounds great. I will stick with it for quite awhile for sure :)

I don't know if it would sound good. Hairtricks are not so fun IMO if you listen to music ! Lots of air movement, wind,...

Walls look good,...........but I would not want one in my daily car. Maybe in a special car for sound system, but I only have one car, and one place to park in my residence !

Stop watching youtube videos, OP !!!!!

I was caught up on moving air and trying for a hairtrick in my crew cab Dakota, I went with 2 15" Icons in a fairly big box with a fair amount of port area on 2000 watts and I can do a hairtrick about like bigjon does maybe a bit more. It was cool and all and I was really happy I can do one but other than showing off to the odd person its kinda pointless. And when you leave your window cracked accidentally when its snowing out with stereo on expect the inside of your vehicle to be filled with snow. It sucks.

Ultimately though building a setup designed for what music you like to listen to and enjoy would be smarter, and if you accomplish a hairtrick, Bonus.