garychurch84

4 dcon 10s box

Do you guys think I can get 4 dcon 10s in a 36"w x 16"h x20"d ported

Guess not,this was my original plan,but wasn't sure if I cpould pull it off.so I wanted 2 12in icons instead.

This enclosure is definitely possible. With 2 inches wide slot port 12 in long and 14.5 high. it would be tuned at about 30 hz and it would fall right into 5.00 cubic feet net volume (after displacement)

I have to disagree on both counts. The NET enclosure size has to be down close to or at the minimum recommended for either option and the port area has to be way too small (at least for my tastes) to get either the 12's or the 10's in an enclosure that size. If you go by the quick and easy calculator on carstereo.com (which is usually a bit smaller than the Small method) the port area is well below what it recommended just to fit.

For the 12's to fit within those dimensions the NET enclosure size needs to be 3.75cuft with 54.375sqin port area tuned to 32hz. That port area calc says ~76sqin minimum.

For the 10's the NET enclosure size minimum recommended by SSA is 4cuft and it has to have ~49sqin port area tuned to 32hz to fit. That port area calc says ~82sqin minimum.

Usable I suppose, but not optimal. For what it's worth I sure wouldn't recommend either configuration to someone as I wouldn't use either configuration myself.

It would be a great fit for a single 15" ICON though. 3.5cuft NET with ~58sqin port area tuned to 32hz.

I8 may be able to go 8"s deeper but nomore.if that would help any

Sure it would. For the 12's it would only need another 6" to keep the recommended 4.5cuft NET volume and get ~80sqin of port area which would be plenty sufficient. For the 10's it would need another 7" to keep the recommended 5cuft NET volume and get ~80sqin of port area for them as well which will do nicely.

What does that extra 8" consist of? It's not the remaining room between a wall in the vehicle and the enclosure is it? You'll need room between the enclosure and any surface for the port to breath. Another issue you may have with the four tens is fitting them all in the enclosure.

I'll probably have 18" min.left after the extra 8",just a guesstimate lol.as for the tens I figured they could be staggered.one above the other wouldn't work or would a straight across.in the trunk of a 98 grand prix.fenderwells kill me on the width.

Edited by garychurch84

I just did a quick drawing on the 10" box. Unless two are put on top and two on the front then the four subs aren't going to fit, there's just not enough space on any one face for them to fit without interfering with the port wall or a box wall.

I'm not sure how good an idea it is to put the subs on different faces either. I could see where it could possibly cause a loading issue, at the same time I can also see where it wouldn't be an issue, I'm just not experienced enough to know the answer to that.

I just did a quick drawing on the 10" box. Unless two are put on top and two on the front then the four subs aren't going to fit, there's just not enough space on any one face for them to fit without interfering with the port wall or a box wall.

I'm not sure how good an idea it is to put the subs on different faces either. I could see where it could possibly cause a loading issue, at the same time I can also see where it wouldn't be an issue, I'm just not experienced enough to know the answer to that.

yea,don't think I'll like that either the 12"s would maybe be better after all

This is one of the quick designs and drawings I had made up. It measures 36" W x 16" H x 26" D as I had mentioned above (the extra 6"). The specifications are 4.5cuft NET volume tuned to 32hz with ~80sqin of port area.

This is just a quick and basic drawing of what it could look like. Modeling the enclosure like this is how I know the 10's wouldn't fit on the top face of the enclosure.

garychurchtwoICON12s-1_zpsca177639.jpg

garychurchtwoICON12s-2_zpsbff15d0d.jpg

Alton, sub up port back in a trunk? I've heard mixed reviews, most people go back back, or seal it off from the trunk and fire through dropped rear seats.

I really need to get this figured out.I'm gettin ready to drop $2k in this any day now.an I really need this to be right.waitin on my taxes.I wish I need how far I could go before I had to build in trunk.98 grand prix

Edited by garychurch84

Alton, sub up port back in a trunk? I've heard mixed reviews, most people go back back, or seal it off from the trunk and fire through dropped rear seats.

Oh that's not intended to be used, unless he wants it sub up/port back. I wouldn't think that's ideal either, but there's people who do it. I was just showing him a quick drawing so he could get an idea of what he was thinking about, what it could look like and to show it's easy enough to toss some ideas out there in 3D which makes it easy to see how different configurations work. The subs could just as easily be on the front of the enclosure if that's what he want to do.

I really need to get this figured out.I'm gettin ready to drop $2k in this any day now.an I really need this to be right.waitin on my taxes.I wish I need how far I could go before I had to build in trunk.98 grand prix

The easiest way to find how just how big you can go is to make a cardboard mach-up of the enclosure you plan to use and see if it can pass through the opening. By using the cardboard you can see exactly how big you can fit before running into issues with sliding it in.

Lol thats a good idea

It's simple, but effective, and MUCH cheaper and easier than building an enclosure just to find out it won't go in the car.

I got a sealed box that's 28"l I'll turn it long ways an see if it will go

Maybe I should just use a custom built sealed box