Sign in to follow this  
Sencheezy

8000K 55watt DDM Tuning HIDs for 2007 Explorer

Hi guys, so here to show a short write up of my recently purchased HIDs from DDMTuning.com.

First image is of what was all purchased.

DDMTuningOrder_zpsc084370e.jpg

I will note that I first made order on Jan 1st, it was accepted on the 3rd, and received shipping number on the 4th. I basically did not see any update until it was here state side from China. I was told all 55watt ballasts are shipped from China. I also was never contacted back from their support team which was reached out twice via email and once via facebook. Items arrived on the 19th in NY, and arrived at my local post office the morning of 21st and arrived at my door on the 22.

This image of the packageing.

IMAG0066.jpg

Here is whats in the box

IMG_20130122_103123.jpg

55watt Ballast

IMAG0071.jpg

Error Eliminator

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

H13 Hi/Low Ligh Bulb

IMAG0070.jpg

H10 Light Bulb

IMAG0068.jpg

Next are the before pictures

Please, keep in mind, that I blacked out my headlights, as well as the fog lights. Ever since doing this, my visibility has droped dramatically. Basically relying on street lights.

Outside driver side:

IMAG0060.jpg

If you notice, majority of my light output is coming from my fog lights, which you can tell by the amber light.

IMAG0059.jpg

About 12 ft from wall, outside passenger side:

IMAG0063.jpg

Driver seat:

IMAG0061.jpg

Those two pictures above are a bit deceiving, as I was surrounded by complete blackness, during city drive, the light output was no where near this.

Next, are a few install pics

I used two 5lb double sided tape per ballast:

IMAG0075.jpg

And there was LIGHT! Please note, thanks to Bassahaulic, that for my paticular application, I had to switch the neg/pos for the fogs.

IMAG0076.jpg

And finally, some after pictures

About 5 ft in front:

IMAG0079.jpg

If you have your light darken as well, I would suggest going one less K level than you desired results, as you can see, they are reaching into the purple hue, which is not what I wanted, but this is caused by the black paint, is what I'm assuming. I would order the 6000k if I could do it over again.

In this picture, you can see that I can finally see a pretty good amount several yards away now. Also, I have taken some highway damage on my headlights, which has resulted in paint chip in the passenger headlight, about the size of a dollar coin. I can clearly see that the black paint is holding back a really big amount of light output. I would definately go with a much lighter black next time.

IMAG0080.jpg

Passenger side of above image:

IMAG0081.jpg

Outside of passenger door:

IMAG0078.jpg

Again:

IMAG0077.jpg

In driver seat looking at same wall:

IMAG0082.jpg

Driver side looking at same wall:

IMAG0083.jpg

Here is about 10 parking spots down, directly in front:

IMAG0084.jpg

Same distance, but at a angle of oncoming traffic:

IMAG0085.jpg

And thats it for the pictures I've tooken.

Conclusion:

Pros:

I absolutely love the product. The instrustions provided via website are very clear, and with pictures! The construction is really top notch as well. Very good connections, REALLY great detail to the safety and longjevity of the equipment as well with great insulation, heat protection, very solid connections, the whole nine yards. I really love the lack of advertisements as well. I can see where they really cut down on cost because of it. You willl not find a single DDM logo anywhere. I would buy again.

Cons:

The first thing that comes to mind is the definately the Customer Service. I have yet been contacted by. Now, I'm pretty sure they get flooded with shipping emails, but I was in no hurry, was simply looking for an update since my shiping order said it was being prep'd for shipping for over two weeks. Also the lack of details of items in store, I now have an extra harnes and error eliminator because it was not clear that they came in pairs. There was no package packing either. All equipment was simply in those little white boxes seen above, I could see where shipping damage could be a problem.

That wraps up this review, thanks for viewing.

Unboxing video

I'm glad you finally got these put in. I imagine the output is tremendous compared to stock. I figured you would be putting them in the same day when you sent me the pic lol. I told you I would have helped, but it seems that you were in a hurry. BTW, maybe im blind, but either your drivers side needs to come up a little or the passenger needs to come down so they match on the cutoff evenly against a wall.

I'm glad you finally got these put in. I imagine the output is tremendous compared to stock. I figured you would be putting them in the same day when you sent me the pic lol. I told you I would have helped, but it seems that you were in a hurry. BTW, maybe im blind, but either your drivers side needs to come up a little or the passenger needs to come down so they match on the cutoff evenly against a wall.

It's not the aim, I mentioned that highway traffic debre has chipped off some paint from the headlights so more light comes through that spot that's the size of a dollar coin. It's at the top right of the passenger headlight. :Doh:

I've ordered from them 3 times. It usually takes 10-12 business days from placing order for them to arrive at my house. I really like their products. They just rake a long time lol

It's not the aim, I mentioned that highway traffic debre has chipped off some paint from the headlights so more light comes through that spot that's the size of a dollar coin. It's at the top right of the passenger headlight. :Doh:/>

Ah, ok then. Fix it then! We can't have you riding around with dollar coins in your headlights. Damn man, we ain't ghetto. lol

I will have to check these out next time your around, looks good though

I am thinking of doing these on the 4runner. Looks good!

I've ordered from them 3 times. It usually takes 10-12 business days from placing order for them to arrive at my house. I really like their products. They just rake a long time lol

I will definately order again, and will recommend for friends. Now that I know the wait time, not so much of a big deal for what you get.

It's not the aim, I mentioned that highway traffic debre has chipped off some paint from the headlights so more light comes through that spot that's the size of a dollar coin. It's at the top right of the passenger headlight. Doh.gif/>

Ah, ok then. Fix it then! We can't have you riding around with dollar coins in your headlights. Damn man, we ain't ghetto. lol

haha, for sure, thinking of sanding down the paint shortly, probable after the first, so I can buy the materials to try another route with the black headlights.

Ghetto! says the one without a back cover of one of their amps, that aren't even secured down!!

I will have to check these out next time your around, looks good though

They are really great, I will show you once I sand down some of this paint from the headlight, there is much light output that is there, just waiting to shine lol.

I am thinking of doing these on the 4runner. Looks good!

I would highly recommend it. Thanks for the kind words!

Awesome Review. Did that set have Relays built in ??

Awesome Review. Did that set have Relays built in ??

Thanks Randal!! I don't think I have a relay? I only have wha tis in the first image. Theres the bulb, the ballast, then the harness, and the error eliminator.

I didn't see any problems ... just asking.

I installed 5 relays for my setup. One for each ballast and one for the 4-Hi modification (low and high beams working at the same time) ...

The sets I installed in the wife and Son's cars had the units where the HIDs did the lows and highs only using 2 ballast instead of 4 like my truck called for, but I was told that there were relays built in ...

Edited by Cablguy184

I didn't see any problems ... just asking. I installed 5 relays for my setup. One for each ballast and one for the 4-Hi modification (low and high beams working at the same time) ... The sets I installed in the wife and Son's cars had the units where the HIDs did the lows and highs only using 2 ballast instead of 4 like my truck called for, but I was told that there were relays built in ...

Hmm, thats really interesting. Oh wait, I think you might be right, I did see a relay on the harness. So you're right, there is one harness. I only used one harnes, as it powered both headlights, which are H13 Hi/Low. I've never heard of using high/low beams at the same time, thats pretty cool, I could see where that would be useful on a road trip outside of city limits. On my vehicle, the fog lights go out when I turn on the highs. I was told this is because theres like, some kind of point system for vehicles, and that you can't go over it as a law. I think the limit is 4 points, and highs count as 2 point each, vs the 1 point for the lows.

I'd like to install fog / driving lights on my truck, but I'm haveing to spend what little money I have for this truck elsewhere ...

We are setting up fog / driving lights up as HIDs too ... Hyper is testing HID reverse lights at the moment.

So far, they sre exceding our expectations !!! I will be adding them to my truck after SBN ...... Hopefully

Edited by Cablguy184

I'd like to install fog / driving lights on my truck, but I'm haveing to spend what little money I have for this truck elsewhere ... We are setting up fog / driving lights up as HIDs too ... Hyper HIDs are testing HID reverse lights at the moment. So far, they sre exceding our expectations !!! I will be adding them to my truck after SBN ...... Hopefully

:)

Glad you like them! I lov emy DDM Tuning lights, I have them in all three vehicles.

As far as the relay goes, yes, you have a relay built into your hi/low setup.

Have you sanded off any of the paint from the headlights yet? Im in the market for HID's and i was thinking of maybe getting DDM's 55 watt 8k or 6k. Im not sure yet.. My stock halogens suck so much ass its not even funny. I want bright reliable lights from a good company. So i was just wondering your opinion on them now since you have had them for a little bit and maybe some advice on HIDs. I dont really know much about lighting..

HID stands for high intensity discharge. When aimed incorrectly it stands for hello im a dickhead.

HID stands for high intensity discharge. When aimed incorrectly it stands for hello im a dickhead.

I have that all over my town.. My friend has 12ks that he needs to be reaimed...

lookin good! do another review after u had them for a while, interesting to see how u like em latter on. i wanna put a set in mine but idk what imma do with em yet

I would recommend getting the 6k for a bit more light output. But other than that, my initial review actually stands firm. haha. They are still as bright as they are when I purchased them and no other side affects have accured. The only difference from now and then, is that the actually price is cheaper lol. I have not sanded off any of the paint from my headlights. I want to, but its a perfect balance of visualality and functionality. I do plan on sanding back down to clear, then just add 1 light coat of black, to give it a smoke look, but again, the balance of light out put and the way it looks makes it hard for me to pursue that drive back to the custom shop. I have never been flashed at for my lights, and I drive a fairly high SUV.

I would recommend getting the 6k for a bit more light output. But other than that, my initial review actually stands firm. haha. They are still as bright as they are when I purchased them and no other side affects have accured. The only difference from now and then, is that the actually price is cheaper lol. I have not sanded off any of the paint from my headlights. I want to, but its a perfect balance of visualality and functionality. I do plan on sanding back down to clear, then just add 1 light coat of black, to give it a smoke look, but again, the balance of light out put and the way it looks makes it hard for me to pursue that drive back to the custom shop. I have never been flashed at for my lights, and I drive a fairly high SUV.

Thanks man! Im thinking of getting the 6k and i do like the price, i just hope it stays so until i get my next paychecks. Btw love the videos of Evil in your Explorer

Haha no problem Pete. Thanks for the comment man. It's a great subwoofer. Would have to say its the best sounding sub I've heard at this kind of pressure level.

i have 35 watt 6k's on my hi an low beams. ive heard that the 55w kits get really hot, sometimes even melting plastic housings. have you had any heat issues so far?

i love the 35w and they are so damn bright but i was thinking about some 55w just for shits and giggles.

one tip i recommend is for anyone else wanting hids, make sure you pick up a headlight restoration kit and clean them up because that haze takes off a whole lot of light output.

As a product tester for hyper-hid's I've been playing with 55w hid's for a bit now and out of all my customers have not had any problems what so ever. Also I run 55w hid's on my personal vehicle and they get hot, but not hot enough to melt any plastic at all.