Austin863

Wood cuting

Hey guys i know this is a stupid question but when lowes cuts your wood are the cuts pretty straight. And what do they charge per cut? let me know. i've been having a hell of a time getting straight cuts with my saw and a guide clamp... for the most part they are straight but when the box is all assembled there is always a few corners that are off balance...

Just caulk the inside edge....

Save your money. Practice makes perfect.

yeah no doubt the only problems i ever have is the top plat never fits flush haha. so i usually have to sand the hell out of the corners that aren't even. How are thoes evil prototypes treating you they are so BA.

They'll only make 2-3 cuts per sheet of MDF, They wont do your entire project.

And every time I've had them make cuts they've been off, you ask for 15.75 inches you get 17 inches

Subs are taking a beating and loving it.

I agree. Get a long straight edge like this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_119896-1099-AE144_0__?productId=1006479&Ntt=straight+edge&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dstraight%2Bedge&facetInfo=

Then get a few clamps. Make sure you measure from the edge of the blade to the edge of the plate on the bottom of the saw. For instance mine is exactly 1.5in if I cut on the right hand side of blade, and a 1/8in difference on the other side of blade. So if I want to cut a 20in piece put my straight edge at 18.5.

Also when you use a tape measure Always start at 1in with the same tape measure. Never use the end of a tape measure if you want perfect cuts as they normally have some play in them

I could make a quick tutorial vid to show you how to always make perfect cuts if you want.

I agree. Get a long straight edge like this

http://www.lowes.com...edge&facetInfo=

Then get a few clamps. Make sure you measure from the edge of the blade to the edge of the plate on the bottom of the saw. For instance mine is exactly 1.5in if I cut on the right hand side of blade, and a 1/8in difference on the other side of blade. So if I want to cut a 20in piece put my straight edge at 18.5.

Also when you use a tape measure Always start at 1in with the same tape measure. Never use the end of a tape measure if you want perfect cuts as they normally have some play in them

I could make a quick tutorial vid to show you how to always make perfect cuts if you want.

Wouldn't a drywall T Square be a bit easier to use?

It depends on your local store. My Home Depot will make 1000 cuts if I wanted them to. If you go during a less busy time and ask them to take their time the cuts will at least be consistent. I go when they first open, 6am if I need anything cut.

yes i use a t-square and one of thoes clamp's which nem has let me borrow. but i still can never get them right maybe what swift said about the tape being a little slack ill try measuring from the 1 in dash instead of the end. But all of these points you all have made are basically what i do haha. wasn't sure if there were something along thoes lines i was doing wrong or something from blade to the edge of the plate on my saw is 1.25 in. thats what i place my straight edge at. draw a line with the square and then place the straight edge basically right on top of that line on the left edge and then i cut. they are pretty straight from what i see but sometimes when i get the box together it does always fit the way id expect. the bottom is always flush but never the top haha. but i guess practice makes perfect. And i guess lowes is the walmart of hardware so getting cuts done there wouldnt be ideal. but thanks for the help guys. One more quick question. How much better would a table saw work for cuts like what i'm making? Basically what im doing is designing and building boxes for friends or people who ask as something to do for side money. ported and sealed... but yes im just trying to get more input and get better at building box's

What kind of blade do you use? Do you use whatever was cheapest or did you actually get a good blade for your saw, the blade makes all the difference I learned this the hard way

Oh also don't rush the saw, let the saw do the work and just focus on following the edge/ or line

(Coming from a Novice box builder(Just completed my first box)

If you are cutting yourself, I would recommend a straight edge that can be clamped onto the wood. I have this and it works great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TXSAHU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_sw_su_dp

I have these and I have drywall T squares, and straight edges as I posted.

All 3 have to be measured exact and the same way I described or you will get out of line alittle.

The drywall square has to be clamped on both edges and but the free end has to be measured and clamped. I noticed if you trust it and clamp both sides without measuring the free end it can be off 1/8th in.

Also a clamp style straight edge is good, but again both sides have to be measured and someway hold the damn thing when you clamp it. It never fails when I clamp down one side tightens just slightly off. Making all of it useless and me only using a standard straight edge for my builds.

A T square and clamp edge are good in contruction and building things where being slightly off doesnt matter.

I use the highest tooth count blade I can buy.

Of coarse it takes me longer to build boxes than most because of this. I learned from a furniture and cabinet maker. Small details and tricks take longer but in the end are very rewarding.

wood16.jpg

Edited by swift

At the end of the day it comes down to the accuracy of the user and that comes with experience.

looks like i have lots of time for practicing seeing is how im only 17 haha :)

looks like i have lots of time for practicing seeing is how im only 17 haha smile.png

Haha true, don't worry mann you will get there !

If you have that clamp tight and double checked your measurements you should be cutting square. Unless you are forcing your saw because your blade is dull and or dirty.

Measuring tape ends are supposed to have slack to compensate for thickness so you can either hook or but the tape to what you are measuring.

Verify that the t square is square. Most of the cheap ones that are riveted together aren't.

All depends on the person cutting it for you. Had one guy that cut all my pieces dead on. Another who totally messed it up.

IDK everytime i go in they cut all of my outer pieces for me.

Top, bottom, sides, back, front.

Usually pretty accurate depending on whos working i suppose.

You can look at the tape measure when they cut it to be sure, or if they dont cut it right tell them and they will have to scrap it and cut you another piece.

Measuring tape ends are supposed to have slack to compensate for thickness so you can either hook or but the tape to what you are measuring.

Verify that the t square is square. Most of the cheap ones that are riveted together aren't.

Exactly, verifying my reasonings for what I posted.

I think Austin is just getting in a hurry and making simple mistakes and over looking some. I think a little more coaching from a certain uncle might be inorder.

when i first started i cut all my pieces with a jigsaw trippy.gif

It took like a whole day to make 3 cuts lmao