My current setup is in a 2000, mustang convertible. Very little room. I am using 2 seperate boxes at about 1 cube sealed. I have a kicker 750.1 amp, powering two 10 inch CVRs.

My question is, what can I drop in that will sound better? Of course the cvrs are loud, but after I tuned them there just not where I would like. I am looking for a cheap replacement. I may be able to sell the cvrs to some friends to help with cost.

I'm looking at the Sundown E-10, so Skar IVX 10

Would an upgrade be worth if it, if so, what subs should I get?

In short: 750-800rms, 1 cube sealed (each), daily use. What to get?

Edited by Dangercdv

did you build your own box?

you might be missing out if your using a prefab box

and yes the subs you listed would be a very nice and noticable upgrade from cvr

I dont think either would be a upgrade from CVR's. Both are entry level subs. That would be a waste of money IMO. Build a ported box for the CVR's.

Prefab box...no room to port! I'm not changing boxes, can't happen. I'm asking what I can drop In to be a noticable upgrade.

Please dont recomend the box.

Going from entry level subs to entry level subs is not a good bang for your buck. You need 12's in that size sealed anyway. Buy 12's, that's your upgrade.

Okay. I'm going to make this as clear as possible...

I need to know what cheap 10s I can upgrade with, the box for the 10 is already hitting the top of the trunk with no room to spare.

No bigger subs, no bigger box, nothing like that, just new 10s. I might be able to reverse mount the subs if necessary....but money isn't that big of an issue, I just need to know a better sub that's worth upgrading to with about 800 rms.

Thank you

I think swift made it pretty clear that he thinks it won't be a big difference in output.

I see the point, I do. But I also saw a bunch of people recommending sundown over kicker. And wanted to know if there would be a noticable difference in my case. I believe there would be, as do others but I'm not going to base my decision off an olinion.

I do appreciate the input tho, and thank you.

I just wanna know about dropping in a sub, if money didn't matter, what would you drop in? The ivx, e10, or cvr?

I agree. There's just not going to be a real noticeable difference in output just changing the subs out, period. Without changing something else you're just going to piss money away. Do not opt for the Skar and there's so many reasons why you shouldn't, just do a quick search. If you're dead set on blowing some cash on new subs the Sundown E10's wouldn't be a bad way to spend it, nor would a pair of DCON 10's.

It will be a waste of money though as we've tried to tell you "YOU'RE NOT GOING TO HEAR ANY REAL DIFFERENCE!"

If you don't believe us, model the subs in WinISD all in the same 1.2cuft enclosures with the same power applied and you'll see our point.

Haha, thank you. That was more along the lines of what I was looking for. I might wait for the new car to upgrade then. My new system will be ported sa-12s at about 32hz on 1200 or 1500 rms.

Thanks you for the input. I guess in keep what I have.

Also, my cvrs dont get all that low, would I benifit from reverse mounting them?

Thank you for the help

Probably not much. Is there any stuffing/polyfill in the boxes now? You might try going that route and seeing how it helps. Generally to increase bottom end response in a sealed enclosure you need a larger sealed enclosure. The trade off will be a bit of a dip in the upper end response, but car audio is all about compromises. The polyfill can help, get some pillow stuffing from Wally World and start with about 1/2 pound in each and see how it sounds. I wouldn't go more than 1 pound in each though.

Okay thanks. Also I just checked and the boxes were more along 1 cube, not 1.2 my bad

1 cube sealed is what is recommended for a 12. Not a 10, thats why i said buy 12's.

Dont buy new boxes, if its truely 1cu net then cut the hole out bigger. Your not going to get "low" with small sealed boxes in a Convertible! Your showing up to the drag strip with a red Yugo with bald tires, wondering why your not fast asking if the Blue yugo will be faster.

Buy 12's, use same boxes....

1 cube sealed is what is recommended for a 12. Not a 10, thats why i said buy 12's. Dont buy new boxes, if its truely 1cu net then cut the hole out bigger. Your not going to get "low" with small sealed boxes in a Convertible! Your showing up to the drag strip with a red Yugo with bald tires, wondering why your not fast asking if the Blue yugo will be faster. Buy 12's, use same boxes....

I love that analogy, lol. However, 1cuft is not overly large for a 10 sealed, and on the low end of the recommended scale by Kicker for the CVR's. The DCON's optimal sealed enclosure size .9cuft and Kicker recommends from .8cuft to 3cuft. WinISD verifies the CVR likes the larger 3cuft for a Q of .7 and a good smooth response. The Sundown E10 is another story though, as Sundown recommends .5cuft, but the response doesn't vary a great deal in WinISD from .5cuft to 1cuft to 2cuft. The problem for any of them in the larger sealed enclosures is the XMAX and it does run out of XMAX pretty fast in an enclosure larger than .5cuft. The DCON doesn't run out of steam until a little under 32hz, and the Kicker runs out of steam WAY before the other two. I don't know if ISD just doesn't like the math (Kicker doesn't post any of the important T/S parameters) or if it's really that limited. I'm not sure how accurate the ISD excursion plots are either, so that all needs taken with a grain of salt. It does give an idea of how things look and from what I see the Kickers are running out of steam at ~61hz, the DCON runs out of steam at ~30hz and the E10 at ~45hz in 1cuft enclosures. The E10 can get to about 25hz in .5cuft before reaching it's XMAX limits. All those are taken with 400watts as the signal power, that changes with less power applied of course.

I do agree, there's plenty of 12's out there that would be at home in 1 cuft sealed enclosures. If the boxes are wide enough to support the cutout for a 12" sub it's a direction that the OP could go and actually get some gain in output.

2 cubes is more than enough for 1 ported 10.

He has 2 1 Cube boxes not 1 2 Cube box

I think he's trying to suggest making a NEW ported enclosure... seems the OP has the room

I think he's trying to suggest making a NEW ported enclosure... seems the OP has the room

Yeah

Sorry for not being clear.

Put some 18"s on the back seat!!!

I use to have a single box but was much smaller because of the trunk opening and shape. I can fit single boxes in much easier to use the space more efficiently.

Once again, stop recommending boxes... Please! Not happening. Please!

I'm happy with my set up, I just wanted to know if I could blow a little money on new 10s to increase current performance. Unless I can fit 12s... Il see

*Also, if I cut a 12 hole in the box, what 12s should I use?*

...looks like SUNDOWN E-12 would be the best?

And I have to say my kickers do start losing steam not far under 40hz. With the volume at my average listning level, 17 to 20, out of 50... Even 45 Hz isnt very loud. I would like a better sub.

Edited by Dangercdv

Incriminator Audio 12 I Series (300rms)

Sundown E-12 (400rms)

SKAR IVXv2 (400rms)

They will be in a box slightly over 1 cubic foot (under 1 cube after the sub is in there) powered by a Kicker 750.1 amp that I believe is pushing over 800 clean watts. Dont worry, I will set the amp so its not clipping the subs.

Which of these 3 would be best to go with? The sundown and Incriminator are the same price, my total raises about $40 with the SKAR.

Im leaning towards the E-12... yes or no?

Incriminator Audio 12 I Series (300rms)

Sundown E-12 (400rms)

SKAR IVXv2 (400rms)

They will be in a box slightly over 1 cubic foot (under 1 cube after the sub is in there) powered by a Kicker 750.1 amp that I believe is pushing over 800 clean watts. Dont worry, I will set the amp so its not clipping the subs.

Which of these 3 would be best to go with? The sundown and Incriminator are the same price, my total raises about $40 with the SKAR.

Im leaning towards the E-12... yes or no?

I just installed 2 E12's in the back of an older Acura Vigor and They sound pretty good and get quite loud, but are in a ported 3.8 foot tuned to 34hz. I also have an Incriminator I 10 and that for the money and price that was an amazing sub, ported box again though. The Dcons have been getting amazing reviews too. So I think as long as you stick with the SUndown, Incriminator or SSA you should be happy. Although with those boxes though you wont get near the full potential of the subs.

Trust me, im aware my box wont help at all :P

As soon as I get a new car il fix that, but for now im using what I have... so what do you think would be better for me? Sundown or Incrminator?

Since there both the same price?

I think the sundown E12 almost exactly fits my specs and RMS, but im not sure what the recomendations are for the 12 inch, I series.

The i series specs are listed on incriminators website. Its the 187 series, the i series replaced them but specs are the same. Im not sure which to recomend as i havent heard either in sealed application. Maybe someone more familiar with t/s specs can see which would model better in a sealed application?